What's new

330 bucks to spend in a receiver (1 Viewer)

Marcelo T

Stunt Coordinator
I friend of mine has 330 bucks to spend in a receiver. We have to chose from
DENON AVR1601
PIONEER VSX D710S
YAMAHA RXV 496
YAMAHA RXV 520
YAMAHA RXV 596
because it´s the only models available in our country
It´ll be used with 2 pairs of JBL´s S26 and a S Center speakers.
Thanx!
[Edited last by Marcelo T on October 25, 2001 at 07:44 PM]

Jon_R

Stunt Coordinator
I have the AVR681, functionally equivalent to the 1601 but with a slightly cheaper amplifier. The receiver has some shortcomings, the remote is really bad and the interface is a bit clunky, but I really love it. I picked it up on shopping.yahoo.com for $200! I had just sold my sony str-de445 for $170 on ebay, so it was only a $30 upgrade.
For a smaller room, it is ample. My speakers aren't that wonderful, Polk R40 but they produce a good, loud if I want it, sound for both music and HT using the 681.
I'd suggest playing with them before buying. Look at lots of things that might annoy you such as color/size/placement of the display. Indicators that show what format things are in (the 1601 just has little leds), feature set, how to get into the setup menus, the remote if you dont' have a good universal. Basically, I'm just saying give 'em a test drive.

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
Harman Kardon AVR 120 (I have a 110- i love it)
Performance above and beyond. The Harman Kardon AVR120 starts with a powerful 5 x 40-watt, high-current, ultrawide-bandwidth amplifier design, and Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS decoding. It features Harman Kardon’s exclusive Logic 7 Cinema and Music modes and two modes of VMAx processing, as well as MP3 playback from compatible computer-based audio sources. Add a universal remote that controls up to six system components, and fully color-coded rear-panel connections that simplify setup, and you have the AVR120. Great sound has never been so affordable.
Features Back To Top
Dolby® Digital/AC3: Dolby Digital® /AC3 decoder built-in. Enables multi-channel digital surround sound that is far more dynamic, spacious and realistic. Generates 5.1 discrete channels of sound for Left, Right, Center, Left Surround, Right Surround and Subwoofer. Dolby® Pro Logic II.
DTS®: DTS (Digital Theater System) decoder built in Enables multi-channel digital surround sound that is dynamic, spacious and realistic. Generates 5.1 discrete channels of sound for Left, Right, Center, Left Surround, Right Surround and Subwoofer. VMAx Virtual Multi Axis Sound: The Harman Approach to 3D Audio
Front Audio/Video Inputs: 1 Rear Audio/Video Outputs: 1
Rear Digital Outputs (Coax): 1 Rear Digital Outputs (Optical): 1
Rear Digital Inputs (Coax): 2 Rear Digital Inputs (Optical): 2
Front Digital Inputs (Coax): 1 Front Digital Inputs (Optical): 1
Rear Audio/Video Inputs: 4 Stereo Power Rating: 50 Watts x 2
Surround Power Rating: 40 Watts x 5 High Current.
Audio D/A Converter: 24-bit/192kHz
Specifications Back To Top Features
40W x 5 Into 8 Ohms, 20Hz – 20kHz at

Marcelo T

Stunt Coordinator
Seems great but we have to choose from the models above. Here in Brazil there isnt that many choices avaliable
frown.gif

Mark Gurney

Stunt Coordinator
My opinion is to go with the Denon 1601 (or a 1602 if that is possible). Jon_R is right, the interface and the remote are a little clunky, but its grown on me. A Yamaha would be my next choice (specifically the RX-V596), but I think you might be able to get a better deal on a Denon anyway (the 1602 is priced at $399, I got mine for $299).

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Denon 1601!
------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

Marcelo T

Stunt Coordinator
I heard a denon 1800 and the music bass was lacking, even comparing it with a Yamanha 496. I saw on audioreview that many owners thought that too. Was this a model related issue? Or in the xx01 series they resolve it?

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Your options in that price range are fairly limited. The Denon AVR-1602, Yamaha RX-V420/520, HK AVR120, and Onkyo TX-DS494 are about it. Look at some of the Kenwoods and Sonys out there if you want more power. I've got the RX-V496 you mentioned and can tell you that it is an excellent receiver. It has never given me any problems whatsoever and produces fairly good sound though tending to run a little on the bright side. My best advice to you would be to check and see when they will get the new models in.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Marcelo, You mean you can't get a Kenwood, Sony, or Onkyo in Brazil?
I like your speakers by the way.
If those are your only Reciever choices then I think you should pick the one that sounds best to you and has enough inputs/features to suit your needs, and I think you'll be just fine.
------------------
Sean
"I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said.......I drank what?"

Marcelo T

Stunt Coordinator
There is another problem, we won't be able to test the receiver before purchase, and we can't return it etheir. The receiver will be ordered from the above models, and the purchase will be final.
We are buying from a unauthorized supplier, :), who can sell those for roughlly the same price that is practiced in the US. If we buy any receiver from a authorized buyer, we will pay aroud 150 to 200% more.
ps. Sorry about the english :)

Henry Carmona

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry Carmona
Marcelo, why cant you order online?
There are many other receivers you can purchase for a good price.
For example:
Denon 1802 for $375.00
6ave.com
------------------
RobertDuvall.jpg
"Charlie don't surf."
[Edited last by Henry Carmona on October 26, 2001 at 04:05 PM]

Marcelo T

Stunt Coordinator
Well, we have a 60% tax on all mail order from overseas (our govermment loves to take my money and do nothing in return), that´s why. And the shipping charges + tax would be too much.
For that denon it would cost me 600 bucks plus shipping
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks