What's new

33 foot video cable? (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Hello;

I hope I am posting this in the correct area. I need help determining the best type and brand of video cable to carry a video signal.

I have a NEC LT260 LCD projector. It is set about 19' back from the wall and about 6'high. I currently have a s-video cable installed during construction of the house running through the ceiling to the projector . The ceiling is 14' vaulted so I needed a 50' cable. I spent about $100 on it so I think it is of reasonable quality. Unfortunately I had to move my projector and had to put a 6' extension on the s-video. It is a $20 8' RadioShaq extension and I am not certain of the quality. It is also very ugly dangleing down from the ceiling. (long story)

I have noticed that my picture quality is OK for the most part, though there is some shadowing (for lack of better term) of my white characters on black backgrounds. Mostly movie credits.

I have calibrated it w AVIA. (I had to turn the color almost to zero for tint!) So calibration is not the prob.

I tried a wireless signal beast. It was poop.

I am thinking now about running a different cable along the floor/wall line to the projector. It will only need to be about 33'. I am hoping to eliminate the shadowing and maybe get the picture a bit clerarer also.

What would be the best cable to use? MY DVD has RCA, component and s-video outs. My projector has no component in, but it does have an adapter for component to its RGB for about $20 - $40.

My only other option is to move the DVD to place nearer to the projector and run the audio the 33' back to the amp. (speaker wire is hard-wired in the house) But I don't think the optical digital will work that far...

Sorry for such a wordy post. I hope it gives you a clear idea of my sit.

Thanks for any advice you could share.

Bryan.D

Auditioning
Looks like that projector supports component input via a proprietary cable?

"YCbCr Component Video through mini D-Sub 15-pin (optional cable)"

I'd go that route if I were you. The component cable will give you your best picture, especially if your DVD supports progressive output.

A good 35' component video cable should run you around $100 plus shipping.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

This could be MPEG compression related- as white on black tends to get a bit pixelated - hard edges like this are difficult for MPEG compression. This is amplified multiple fold when blown up by front projection.

Also, you might be having issues with the scaling device in the projector. I'm not too familiar with your particular unit -- but I have a DLP NEC with a native panel of 1024x768 (which i think your LCD is as well)-- and the internal scaling/deinterlacing ability which converts the incoming NTSC signal to 1024x768p is horrible. I have to use an outboard HTPC- and the picture quality is easily 3 times as nice as NTSC from a DVD player scaled using internal circuitry.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I think some of the custom cable sites can wire a HD15 connector on one end, and RCA plugs on the other. But you cant get the thick/heavy RG6 coax: it just wont fit. But BlueJeansCables say they can use a supple Belden or Canare RG59 coax (still HD video rated).

SVideo cables are 33 ga, but RG59 is typically 20 (much thicker) and RG6 tends to be 18 ga.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Thank you gentlemen for responding.

I am wondering which would be better, a 33' component video with a short optical audio or a 33' optical audio cable with a short component?. I have found both. I am able to move my DVD player closer to the projector and further from the amp. if it would provide a noticeable advantage, but it would be a bit inconvenient at times.

Also, I am interested in learning more about Vince Maskeeper's outboard HTPC. I don't know much about that but a 3x picture improvement does sound appealing.

Also, yes, the Component video cable is a proprietary adapter to RGB. I worry that the signal may degrade in the adapter. It also is not likely to be 33' so there is going to be a connector to it that could cause signal loss.

I really don't know much about this and really appreciate your input so far. Especially the promptness!

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
The professional-grade coax makers (Belden, Canare, Mogami) all provide frequency-response specs for 100 ft of coax and brag about the performance. 33' should not be a problem.

Yes, every break in the cable is a potential problem. But not because of signal loss. The problem is impedence

Think of the cable as being a sidewalk going from the street to your front door. The ideal sidewalk exactly matches the height at both ends.

The same thing applies to video cables: they want a uniform 75 ohm impedence from source to destination.

Each break/adaptor is like a small step up/down. At low frequencies (walking) it's not a problem. But running faster and faster increases the damage a small, un-even sidewalk can cause.

So having the ends of the coax wired directly into a HD15 plug is your best bet.

Long video vs optical

The answer is obvious: short video cables, long optical cable.

The short cables are cheaper and digital is not nearly an issue for long cables.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Thanks for your advice, Bob. I think I'll go with a 35' optical cable.

I'm curious, the coax w RGB on one end and component on the other; My understanding is that these two are not directly compatible. Something having to do w' green I think.

NEC makes an adapter, ADP-CV1 ,
here: http://www.necvisualsystems.com/appl...=cable/adapter

For $40 I wonder if it is just a splice instead of a true addapter. I've seen another adapter for nearly $200.00

I'm also still curious about Vince's outboard HTPC and would like to see or find more info on it.

Thanks

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

HTPC is kinda the standard for people doing high-end video on a budget. I wrote up an intro on HTPC in the FAQ AND PRIMER, the link is in my sig!

-Vince

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Thanks alot Vince, for finding yet another accessory I can't live without. Every time my wife rolls her eyes at me I will think of you.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Well, tell her to drop me an email, i'll put her in touch with my girlfriend. Maybe they can start a support group.

;)

-V

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks