32XBR450... does it have auto 16x9 squeeze?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by jeff lam, Apr 18, 2002.

1. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Will this TV do the squeeze automatically or will I have to select it in the service menu each time I play a DVD?

Also, Is it only Anamorphic DVD's that can take advantage of the squeeze? What about non-anamorphic discs...loss of resolution (scan lines)?

2. Jeremy Engel

Jeremy Engel Extra

It will auto detect on interlaced signals only. If you have a progressive scan player you have to manually select 16X9 enhanced.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

In addition:

* The 16:9 mode is also intended for high-def programming, as well as 16:9-encoded discs.

* You do not have to concern yourself with the service menu at all, as this set allows for selecting the function from the user menu.

* Non-16:9-encoded discs (i.e., letterboxed only) will play the same as they did on your previous display; their playback is completely unaffected.

Simply remember to go back to your DVD player's setup menu and adjust it to output to a 16:9 display.

4. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Simple enough... Thanks.

Any concerns about the 32XBR450? Any common problems I should know about before looking at this set?

I originally was going for a 16x9 TV but since they are still too expensive (about 2x the price) I thought maybe the 32XBR would be a better fit since ther is stil quite a bit of 4x3 material out there. But when I get a house, I'm going big screen RPTV 16x9 for sure!

5. Steve Sz

Steve Sz Agent

Just one; maybe size.

I bought the 32 and wished I had gone with the 36 for DVD's & HD 16:9. Problem solved for me though went from the 32 to the 40xbr700.

Be sure before you sign the deal.....

6. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Wow, Steve, that's some step up. How's life so far with that big direct-view beauty? I've seen them up and running in showrooms--and one of them was set up nicely--and they are truly impressive sets.

7. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I have size restrictions. My entertainment center is only 36.5" wide and won't fit a 36" anything. A 34" 16x9 pani or toshiba would fit and give a larger size than a 36" 4x3 but are way more expensive. I really really wanted the 34" panasonic but unless I can find it cheaper than the sony 32" XBR, I may have to settle.

8. Steve Sz

Steve Sz Agent

Jack love the 40; especially after Gregg Loewen got hold of her. Put up a CM 4228 on the roof last weekend for Boston HD locals and I couldn't be happier. Even non HD Boston OTA locals look far superior than the directv compressed signal.

All is great..........

9. Steve Sz

Steve Sz Agent

Jeff have you considered a new cabinet?? It would be a shame to buy a unit only so that it fits your furniture. As I said I went from 32 to 36 to 40 and am not looking back. Granted it is more $$$ but wouldn't you rather only have to do this once???

Good luck.

10. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Thought of that too and we just don't have the space for a big screen RPTV. That would be my first choice. A 50" or larger, but would look kind of silly in our 1 bedroom apt. (which actually means the wife won't let me have it in our small place). So this 32-34" TV is only till I can get a house. Maybe 3-5 years. Then it will be a 2nd TV for another room or bedroom.

11. Harley

Harley Stunt Coordinator

12. Steve Sz

Steve Sz Agent

Harley not sure but I think the 800 is the 2002 replacement for the 700. I didn't go with the sony stand for two reasons; didn't like the looks and needed space for 6 components. Searched long and hard before I found what I ended up with; a piece made by schroers & schroers who I had never heard of that are made in Germany. the model number is the focus 110. check them out at www.schroers.de
    not cheap (1000) but very sturdy and attractive. email me and I'll send you a photo.