What's new

32" Sony Wega (1 Viewer)

KeithKessler

Auditioning
Hello all,

We are looking to purchase a Sony 32" Wega (We really like the enhanced 16x9 feature) and were wondering which model was the best. I don't need 2 tuners for PIP and I don't have a progressive scan DVD player so I don't need anything HD compatable. I just want something that will my digital cable signal (connected via S-video) and DVD's (connected via component video) will look best on.

I would really like one that can autodetect the 16x9 signal.

Thanks in Advance,

Keith

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Thn what you want is the Sony KV-32FV27--the FV models have the auto 16:9 detection mode.

But give prog-scan serious consideration. If I had known prices would have dropped as quickly as they have this year, I would never have purchased my FV26 WEGA. I could've gotten a Toshiba 40H80 RPTV for less money had I just waited the situation out.

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Keith,

OK, the "S" has a 3-line digital comb filter vs. a 3D digital comb filter on the "V". There was a thread a few months ago which stated that S-Video and Component inputs bypass the comb filter. The "V" series also does the enhanced 16x9 feature automatically and with the "S" series you have to go to the menu and select it each time you watch an anamorphic movie. (If you have a remote with a macro button, you can record the steps to set the 16x9 feature so it's only one extra button to press). I chose the "S" series, saved some $$$ and I'm very pleased with the set. Also the "V" series has the speakers on the sides as you know, so fitting a 36" model into my wall unit was logistically impossible.

KeithKessler

Auditioning
Thanks for your help.

We decided to go with the S series to save a little $$. Hopefully we can put the money we saved into a receiver! hehe

Thanks,

Keith

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Enjoy the set, then! I'd be interested in hearing about your post-calibration settings if you don't mind. (Don't let the "Standard" picture setting fool you; things really do look better in the "Movie" setting.)

John_Bonner

Supporting Actor
Link Removed
Link Removed
These are the most widely used, oft-referenced calibration discs available.
I have Avia and like it.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
AVIA is a much more easy-to-navigate disc. Go with it, and wait for the new version of Video Essentials.

Now, remember: Keep that contrast low, and use the "Warm" temperature setting as your default (it's closest to the NTSC standard of 6,500K).

Hey Keith,
I was in the same situation as you recently. As far as I know, the Wega are the only non-HD set that can do the 16:9 mode with the press of a button. So, I was all setted to buy a KV32FS13. The KV32FV27 to my knowledge as only the PIP, a 3D comb filter and is auto detecting anamorphic DVD. Here, in Canada it would have cost me 500$ more just for those "minor" (to me) improvement.
Then, at the store, there was a Samsung TSL3293 Dynaflat HDTV for the same price as the KV32FV27. I then decided to go for the Samsung, because of the possibility of progressive scan and HDTV. But, the 16:9 mode is only available through the remote, non auto detect here :frowning:. This set as no PIP, so I didn't feel that I paid for something I would never used. I too have digital cable, and it look at least as good as my last non-HD tv set. The line double in the Samsung seems to be quite good.
I know.I know, it's a Samsung; when searching for info on Samsung TV here, I found very little info. I don't know why, it doesn't seems to be a popular brand.
To me, when I was at the store, the picture quality was as good as the Sony Wega; the geometry is about the same as the Wega. But, Samsung give a 2 years warranty instead of just 1 year on Sony product.
I am pretty pleased so far with this tv set. You should take a look at it, it cost nothing; you could end up with more usefull feature for the same price as a KV32FV27.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I've had the 32FV27 Wega for several months and overall I am very pleased. Aside from the inherent uneven brightness issues with many of the Wegas, as well as sometimes-imperfect geometry (which can only be fixed by a full and complete calibration via the service menu), it's a nice TV. Sony has yet to perfect the flat tube technology.
The Wegas bring out flaws, artifacting, shimmering more noticeably than 'regular' TVs. Your eyes will definitely become more discerning after just a couple days with a WEGA. Digital cable that appears flawless on a normal screen will look jagged on a WEGA, since the resolution is top notch.
My question is, for a lot of the experts here :):
Does Video Essentials allow you to enter the service menu, or is it a simple regular brightness/contrast/hue settings type of calibration? I ask because the only calibration that can really do the trick is to tweak the literally hundreds of items in the service menu. The menu accessed on the remote control is nice, but does not control geometry or any of the 3-D filter settings.
Thanks!
Joseph

Oren

Stunt Coordinator
Joseph,

VE (or Avia) by themselves won't do anything directly to the TV. They present a number calibration images to get the contrast, brightness, etc. properly set. You can make the changes either through the regular menus on the TV or access the service menus. Accessing the service menus will be more difficult, to be sure, as you may have to enter and exit them repeatedly to see the effect of your changes (if I recall correctly, unlike the regular menus the service menus completely cover the image).

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
Oren,

That's what I thought. I've only used the THX video calibration tool from the TPM DVD, and it has helped me get straight horizontal/vertical lines across the screen. However, some of the lines near the top and side edges, I just can't keep from bending ever so slightly. So in certain films, there is a slight tilting to the side in shots involving doorframes and wall edges.

Thanks for the input,

Joseph

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks