What's new

32 Inch TV Suggestions under $500. (1 Viewer)

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
I recently moved to a new apartment. I am looking for a 32 inch TV. I have looked around town and still dont know what is best. I will be rather close the the TV (7 feet)
Any suggestions for a sub-$500 set?

Thanks.
Brian

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Take a look at the Samsung 32 inch set. Sears puts them on sale for $499.99 but they can be had for around $450 I'm told. The sets have Component Video Inputs, S-Video Inputs, Composite Video Inputs & Front A/V Inputs as well as a Front Earphone Jack. The set can also do the "Squeeze Trick" for DVD's by just pushing a button on the remote control. Hope this helps you out. I think Best Buy also has them, but I'm not sure.

James Zos

Supporting Actor
Are you sure the 32-inch Samsungs can do the squeeze trick via the remote? I know there is a 27-inch Samsung that can, but this is the first I've heard of the 32-inch being able to. What is the model number?

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Simply put YES! :D It also does it by going into the menu. From what I was told, but don't hold me to it, All Samsung models from 20 inch to 36 inch will do the "Squeeze Trick" I do know for sure though that the 27 inch to 36 models do the "Squeeze Trick"
Check with Jason Hammerly he just got the 36 inch version of the set. Check under the post "36 inch 4:3 TV owners, I have a few questions...." he posted there about his Samsung & you can find his mail box there too. THe 32 inch Samsung model number is TXL3276. You might also want to check Samsung's website www.samsungusa.com but don't look for anything about the "Squeeze Trick" because for some reason Samsung doesn't mention it.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Thanks for help. Sorry about the delay, but I found the samsung for 431 at abcwarehouse locally.(that was from a pricematch from their own website) but they didnt have any in stock. went to sears & they would sell their floor model for 431. Went to K-Mart & they had a curtis mathis with the same squeeze trick.....looked like the same menus etc as the samsung..... but its only 400 & they have them in stock? Any word on the curtis mathis? made by samsung yes? And someone mentioned about the single comb filter, should i be looking for a 3-comb?
THanks.
Brian

Jael

Agent
The Curtis Mathis doesn't, to my knowledge, have the component ins which may or may not be an issue for you. I'm in the same position as you and I'm trying to find either the Samsung TXL3276 or the Samsung TXL2791F (flat screen), but they seem to all be out of stock locally in preperation for the next model year. Personally I think the component ins and a more familiar name brand (don't know if there are any differences in durability for the Mathis) are worth the extra $50 to me.

Let us know what you end up with!

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
I did find a website with this set- http://www.curtismathes.com/CM32020S.htm and yes, i see no component in's..... but it has all the same features as the samsung. The samsung is impossible to find locally..... anyone else think I should jump on that kmart deal for $400. The samsung is 431 like i said, but who knows when they will get it....
thanks for your help
B

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Myself I would wait & get the Samsung with the Component Inputs unless you just can't live without a tv for awhile. Also check the warranties, I think the Samsung is 1 year labor & the Curtis Mathes 90 days labor. Believe me in a few weeks the new sets will be all over Sears & Best Buy. Remember, if your not going to upgrade to a better set for a few years you maybe kicking yourself in the future that you din't hold out for those Component Inputs. Just my 2 cents.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
I agree Bill, I was thinking that as I was reading back through my post. I dont think I am going to find a better TV for $431 bucks. ABC says I can hold the price if I go pay for it (of course) I'd hate to see their online price go up & me miss out. Their normal store price is $489. So, yes, I have decided to wait for the Samsung.
Anyone else have this or similar model and can tell the goods/bads of the model. I seen the 27 inch praised http://www.consumersearch.com/www/el...ets/index.html well.
So. Thanks for your all your help. Like I said any previous experience with the model let me know.
B

Dan V

Stunt Coordinator
Brian, the Curtis Mathis sets Kmart sells are made by Samsung. I would hold out for a set with component outputs unless your dvd player only has s-video outputs.If you can't find a Samsung, you also might want look at the JVC's and Toshiba's. They are generally around $500 to $550, Sams Club had the JVC a while back for $550 with a $50 rebate, it does do the anamorphic squeeze, but you have to access it from the service menu. You really can't go wrong with either a Samsung, JVC, or a Toshiba, they all have excellent picture quality.

Dan V

Stunt Coordinator
Brian, the JVC model is AV32330. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one at $431.It's kind of a pain to change the settings to do the squeeze through the service menu, but it only takes a couple minutes to change it or change it back to he original settings and it is well worth the effort for he improved resolution.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Thanks Dan. After researching I have decided on the JVC. ABC is selling it too me for $446. Seems like it has more features and a better picture than the Samsung.
Now, about this service menu........
I am picking this set up right now. So more questions to follow.
Brian

Larry F.

Agent
Sorry for the late reply but the JVC 32" at Sam's is the 32260 with dual tuner pip. I got one at $469. Relatively happy with it, but not completely.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Brian, good choice on the TV. I just bought the same one a few weeks ago. Still haven't done the squeeze through the service mode though.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Considering this thread is over a year old. Does anyone have any recommendations for a new 32inch for under 500, preferably 400 or less?

My aunt and uncle are getting a new tv. I recommended that they get a TV with component video inputs, because they will notice the biggest difference in quality. Their old TV is a 27inch in a wooden chassis that's over ten years old. white text is unreadable on the screen, so it is pretty much dying.

They just got a dvd player for christmas, and were astonished at the price of component video cables. I told them to ignore the fifty dollar monster cables best buy tried to push on them, and to go with the walmart 17$ brand (my opinion is there'll be a noticeable enough difference in high end cables if you have the disposable income to blow hundreds of dollars--otherwise go with walmart's selections on AV cables). They still though 17$ was an amazing price for cables and are getting a little uneasy about upgrading to a new TV now, especially if it will make it more difficult for them to just watch regular TV. My aunt can't operate my grandma's satellite (done by turning on the TV, setting it to channel four, and turning on the satelite) so that's the maximum level of technology. However I have faith they'll be able to master the operation of changing inputs/lines to watch DVD, VHS, or TV. So I'm not worried about getting them a set that can perform a 'squeeze', etc. that my tv has

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions for a good quality 32 inch TV with component inputs? especially available for a good price.

Thanks,

Adam

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I would take a look at the Flat Tube JVC AV-32F704 which can be had for under $500 It has an ON/OFF button for the 16:9 DVD Mode (Squeeze Trick)& Color Temp. Controls right on the remote control plus the SVM can be turned ON/OFF. As for inputs it has 2 Rear Composite Inputs, 1 Rear S-Video Input, 1 Rear set of Component Video Inputs plus Front Composite Audio/Video Inputs. This set seems to have every feature except for a "Video Output" I would also take a look at the 32" Flat Tube Toshiba's & they do have a "Video Output" but they might be around $50 more or so? But both of the set's remote will control: TV, VCR, CATV/DBS, & DVD so maybe they can end up just getting used to one remote? If their not going to hook the set to a Surround Sound Receiver I would pay PLENTY OF ATTENTION to the Sound Quality on these sets. You might want to download the Owners Manuals on these sets to get an idea of how easy the menus & features are to use & they can be found at JVC's & Toshiba's websites along with the specs. on the sets. Happy Hunting ;)

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Forgot to add that Sears carries both the Toshiba & JVC models & I would do a search on the web for prices & try & get Sears to match them. Again, Pay Plenty of attention to the sound quality of each set if it's not going to be hooked to a receiver.

Robert Marc

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the toshiba 32a43 for our bedroom the day before xmas. (Sorry, I tried to include a link, but I don't have enough posts.) Great tv. I think it has a great picture and sound. I don't know if it does the "squeeze play" though. Anyways, a local store, Nebraska Furn. Mart, price beaat BB and sold it too me for $420 with no interest 'til 3/05! Best bang for the buck I could find.
I should add that this set has s-vid and component inputs as well as front inputs for game, camera, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks