32 inch HDTV-ready set choices - what would you pick?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ThomasL, Jun 10, 2002.

1. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

I'm sure this has been discussed before but I'd figure I'd ask for new fresh opinions. What is the best 32 inch HDTV-ready 4:3 set? I'd be looking for one that handled a 480p progressive signal from a progressive scan dvd player and did the squeeze. I say HDTV-ready set since I don't think anyone is making a 480p only set these days (Samsung made one one year). I am not planning on getting anything that will allow me to get HDTV programming anytime soon so this would strictly be for dvds and NTSC tv watching. I currently have a Toshiba 27A40 that I bought 18 months ago. While I may not upgrade this year, I'd like to see what is available if I was to upgrade. As for $$$, let's not let that enter it at this point. I just want people's opinions on the set they like meeting the requirements.

thanks much,

--tom

2. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I agree with Chris.

4. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Thanks Chris and Jack.
    Anyone else? I know everyone doesn't have a Sony XBR450 [​IMG] Any other thoughts? opinions?
    cheers,
    --tom

5. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

I picked the Samsung TSL3294. Half the price of the XBR and the pic is great, build quality probably better!

6. Phil Cavanagh

The XBR 450 is discontinued.

I would look into the new Sony KV32HS500

It has DVI and is $500 less than the XBR. Picture quality is nearly the same as the XBR, just a little more red. Red push is common on Sony's.

7. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I've used the AVIA color decoder evaluation pattern on 2 Sony direct views, 2 Hitachi rptvs, and 1 Sony rptv, and all had about 15% red push.

On the Sonys, there is a service menu item (AXIS) that can be adjusted to eliminate the red push. This applies to the current models, don't know about the new HS-500.

8. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Does anyone have any red push numbers of the Samsung or Toshiba 32 inch HDTV-ready models? I believe I read that the Samsung had a really hot (i.e. blue) grayscale out of the box. Has anyone had their set ISF'ed? or dialed in the grayscale using a color anaylzer? How about the Toshiba model? Does it suffer from the same red push + blue grayscale combo problem that most sets suffer from? One thing I like about my 27A40 is that it does not have any red push and that the grayscale is fairly neutral in 'warm' mode.

cheers,

--tom

9. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

I used VE (no ISF calibration just yet) and the red push really is not there. My contrast is 40, Brightness 45, color 53, green/red 54/46 sharpness 10 and I must say the colors are realy nice.

10. shane_watson

shane_watson Stunt Coordinator

i own the 32 inch xbr and love it,but now that its dicontinued you can get the 36 inch for 2299.00 at cc great deal,i love my 32 xbr and i havent had any trouble whatsoever+if your into gaming you should see the xbox on this thing whoa!!

11. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

well my two cents worth, I am personally a big fan of the Toshiba cinema series fts pure flat, in my opinion compared to the xbr and Tau's its much better

the XBR has some nasty artifacting on cable feeds, you cant turn off the velocity scan modulation on the Tau, and the toshiba has a faint line down the middle of the screen thats visible on some backgrounds. all that considered the toshiba has the best picture in my humble opinion. in my opinion the price difference is the biggest factor in taking the toshiba, hell its 1000 dollars cheaper, and the picture is better.

one question thought the HS has dvi, does it also have hdcp decoding? cause without that it dosent do much good.

12. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

yes the new sony line has hdcp decoding on the dvi input

13. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

just to play Devils advocate, I checked the sony website and all it mentions is a monitor out on the new HS, wouldn't they be likely to mention the fact that it has a dvi INPUT and hdcp decoding built in? and also why isn't this feature available on the more expensive XBR's as well.

14. Roque_A

Roque_A Auditioning

Have you by any chance considered the Hitachi 32" or even the 36". The 36 can be had for under $1600 and the 32 for under $1300 and they both have an awesome picture. I personally own the 36" version and I love it. In fact I returned my Sonys(tried 3 different ones) for it because of various problems like the brightness issue, horrible geometry, etc.... So you might want to take a look at this line also. If you have any questions let me know.

Roque...

15. Kevin Parker

Kevin Parker Stunt Coordinator

I am also looking for an 32" or 30" TV so far I liked Samsung, JVC and Toshiba, Sony is good but its expensive. One more TV I liked was new daewoo 16:9 ratio tv, available in 30" and 34" with built in HD decoder, daewoo had the best picture quality among the sets I mentioned, but I am hesitating to buy it cause not lotta ppl have experience with this brand, and I cannot find any online reviews for these sets.

16. DanielSmi

DanielSmi Second Unit

17. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

Kevin,

How much are the Daewoo sets going for?

18. Kevin Parker

Kevin Parker Stunt Coordinator

I dont know about in US, but here in canada its $1800 CAD 30" model which is equal to $1153 US.

19. Jorge M

Jorge M Stunt Coordinator

John,
    The stuff on Sony's site is out of date; it's for last year's models. This year's XBR and HS lines do have a DVI input.

Daniel,
    Where have you read/heard about HDCP decoding on the DVI input? I doubt it's there, as there is no mention of it anywhere and there are no finished deals with content providers.

20. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

According to that Sony Web site: