32" HDTV--Panasonic

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MichaelM, Nov 3, 2003.

1. MichaelM

MichaelM Agent

I'm seriously thinking about getting the following tv:

http://store.yahoo.com/saveandmake/ct-32hl43.html

Does anyone have any experience with this set? In the store, it looked great. This tv has a DVI input which I'm not too sure about but I guess will enable the closest thing to HD DVD as possible right now--with the right player, of course.

Also, the only negative I've seen so far is someone commented on the fact that the TV could only display resolutions of 480 and 1080 but not 720. Would this be an issue? Aren't DVD's mostly 480 and HD broadcasts 1080? When would you need 720?

There is a JVC set out there that is real similar and says that is have an "anamorphic converter" to display the full resolution of anamorphic DVD's (it's a 4:3 tv). I'm inclined to believe this is stretching the truth a bit, but who knows?

And lastly, has anyone ordered from this company (see link above). The prices are great. The only thing that bothers me is their return policy: they only return for the same item so you have to be 100# sure it's what you want. I don't know if I can be. I mean, you can have it for a day or two and find out something you didn't know and don't like and then you're stuck.

Thanks for the help.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Though 720p may very well be the "best" of the current HD formats, nearly all HD-capable monitors display only at 480p and 1080i (downconverting 720p to either of the other two). For the most part, not an issue to be concerned with.

All this means is that the 4:3 JVC set has a 16:9 mode for displaying 16:9-encoded (i.e., "anamorphic widescreen") DVDs properly scaled and at full resolution. It's a must-have feature.

3. MichaelM

MichaelM Agent

A must-have feature? So if you buy a 4:3 tv it's a good thing to look for? So far, I've only seen it in the JVC. But I haven't seen how this one looks. I'll check it out at Sears. The standard JVC tv's I've seen in the past were all really nice. Not sure how their HD looks though.

Thanks for the info!

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Yes, it's a must-have feature if you're considering a 4:3-native set. Else, you won't be able to view 16:9-encoded DVDs in their proper proportions and at a full 480 lines of resolution. This first appeared on the Sony WEGAs as a user menu-accessible feature (most 4:3 sets require that one "squeeze" the scanning-line raster from the service menu; Sony and a few other brands, JVC among them, now offer it as a feature accessible from the remote).