32" HD Ready TV or a nice 36" SDTV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Ross, Feb 14, 2002.

1. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

Im about ready to cash in my rebate check & am was about to buy a 32 inch HDTV ready TV. I went to several stores & noticed that there were some really nice 36inch SDTV sets(JVC I'Art, Toshiba Cinema Series, Sony Wega) available for the same price that I was going to spend on a HD set. 1st off I am not able to get much in HDTV broadcasts. My local cable company is just starting to experiment with beta testers & a HD box & that only gets you 2 HD shows(HBO & Showtime). I do watch a ton of movies on DVD & have a Toshiba SD5700 Prog. Scan DVD player. Just curious on your imput!

2. Leroy R

Leroy R Stunt Coordinator

My understanding is that all transmitions are supposed to be converted to HDTV by 2006, so I guess it partly depends on how long you plan to keep the set you are about to buy before the purchase of your next new set. Also, if I am understanding what I have been reading lately correctly, I believe only the HDTV sets will take advantage of the progressive scan capability of your DVD player.

3. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

If nothing but for DVD alone and with that progressive player, get the HD ready set..You might not have much HD available today, but by the end of this year just about all major broadcast affiliates with be signed on with their digital channel....There is alot of HD content out their now..2 years ago, I was lucky to get 12 hours a week of HD..Today it is available just about 24/7...For the last 2 weeks for the first time all three major networks where all broadcasting HD at the same time during primetime...

4. MikeyWeitz

MikeyWeitz Supporting Actor

I am in the same boat. I am opting for the Samsung TSL329x series instead of a 36 Wega or something (not a big fan of the lower priced WEGAs anyway). I figure even my regular DVD will look better on the Samsung HDTV then the Wega and when I eventually do get into some HDTV programming in the future, I don't want to go out and have to buy another TV for it. AT least when I am ready for a new TV purchase, I will move the TSL into the bedroom and get a RPTV. I am going from a cheap, old 25 rca to the 32" in Samsung, thats a big enough jump for me now.

5. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

I have been looking at the exact same thing, and personally im going hdtv ready all the way, to me its not worth a few inches to give up the hdtv, and like was previously stated2006 if the mandate forall boradcasts to be digital,as wellthere is your dvd to consider, id go hdtv, then youcan say ivegot the best, maybe not the biggest, but the best, and quality is whatcounts.

P.S I'm looking at the nice toshiba 34" widescreen. sweet tv and costs as much as the 36" wega or 32"XBR

6. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

Another mark against HDTV right now for me is that analog cable looks like utter crap on an HDTV tube(though, the digital channels look awesome). Most of my TV watching is done on the analog channels. One thing to consider is that I dont sit too far from my tube. ~5.5ft Im wondering if that factor will have an influence over what set I should get?

7. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

You might not want to do this, but what I would do is get an HDTV from one store & an ANALOG tv from another store than compare the sets next to each other & then take back the one you don't want. To me an HDTV set & a 36" analog set is a lot of money for a purchase that you are probably going to be living with for a long time so I'd make sure I got exactly what I was happy with & not kicking myself 3 months later. I know a friend of mine did this & boy was he happy he did because the HDTV set he had, had a really bad picture compared to an analog set with his cable system. What he decided to do was bring them both back & buy a really cheap 36 inch analog tv until the cable company goes fully HDTV & gets all the bugs worked out of the HDTV cable system. As far as 2006 goes the way everyone is fighting over doing HDTV I'll bet it gets extended until 2010 or more. Just my 2 cents. [​IMG]

8. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Another plus for HDTV sets is that you can't hear them. So if you're tired of that annoying hi-pitched 15,750 Hz sound created by regular a TV's electron guns, maybe it's time to move on up to HD.

9. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Just thought I'd add that Sound & Vision mag. had a test report on the RCA MM36110 in the Jan 2001 issue & it might be on their website at www.soundandvisionmag.com
    HIGH POINTS:
    Great image quality
    Memorizes custom picture settings for all inputs
    Unused inputs can be deleted from channel list
    LOW POINTS:
    No internal line-doubling for standard video
    No aspect ratio control for widescreen HDTV or anamorphic DVD images
    A QUOTE FROM THE REVIEW:
    "I actually enjoyed Web surfing and reading e-mail on the oversize RCA monitor"

10. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Woops, moderator can you please move this post to "buying factory refurbished tvs"?

Thanks

11. Tom Weeks

Tom Weeks Stunt Coordinator

I have never understood the hype on HDTV. I was television shopping about seven months ago and pretty much checked out everything available. I looked at HDTV tv's and thought they had a very nice picture, but, they were hooked up to the finest sources available (where I was looking). When you get this tv home and hook it up to your cable system you will get an unpleasant surprise--it will look terrible. HDTV's accentuate whatever source they are receiving. Sure, they look good hooked up to a progressive scan dvd player but what about when you are watching the ballgame on your cable? I ended up with the Toshiba 36AFX61 Cinema Series. To be truthful, I have it hooked up to Dish Network, but, the picture on most channels is as good (to me) as most of the HDTV I had seen. Supposedly in the not too distant future there will be an ample supply of HDTV material, but for right now I think I am getting the most bang for the buck that I can from my Toshiba. If you have not seen one yet, find one and check it out. I also have a Sony Wega and the Toshiba blows it away in every aspect.

12. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

> When you get this tv home and hook it up to your cable system you will get an unpleasant surprise--it will look terrible<

It all depends on your cable, Tom. In my case, that was a concern, so I ran 2 DV sets (SD and an HDTV) side by side for a week, and was pleasantly surprised at the PQ of the HDTV on my analog cable. I kept the HDTV.

As always, YMMV.

13. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Analog tv's are yesterday's technology...A few major manufacturers are dropping their analog RPTV's at the end of this year....If you have a decent cable source or DBS, the picure will look fine on an hd set...If you are planning to spend over 800 dollars, don't waste your money on an analog set.Also in many areas of the country, their is a good deal of HDTV programming available....By the end of this year just about all markets will be digital..

14. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

OOC, do any of you with poor analog cable and an HDTV find you were able to improve the PQ by using one of those CATV signal boosters you can get from RS?

15. Ted Ross

Ted Ross Second Unit

I ended up buying the Samsung TSL3295HF-Its a hd ready set & was right in the price range of what I was looking to spend. One of my local retailers had their "half off of cost" sales. It normally went for $1400-I got it for $1221. Thanks for the input, right now I need to calibrate it & then Ill post my impressions

16. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

I'm a bit late for this thread...

I'm in the same boat, only I'm a bit more specific in my options, I'm looking at the Sony KV-32HS20 and KV-36FS13. Anyone have either of these and care to comment if they were happy with their decision? I'm going to have a relatively small viewing length at my new apartment, which is why I'm considering the 32". In all honesty I'd rather have the bigger TV, but with the dimensions of my new place a 32" might be a better buy, and the HD wouldn't hurt...

17. Anthony_J

Anthony_J Stunt Coordinator

I just got the 32fs13 and am quite happy with it. The anamorphic squeeze makes DVDs look great and the cost was low enough that I don't mind the fact that I won't be able to do HD without buying a new set.

I wouldn't spend more than $800-$900 on a non-HD set. The 32fs13 is now around $850 at Best Buy(I got it for $799 with a coupon). That's about $400 less than the 36fs13 and nearly $1,000 cheaper than a HD ready TV.

Take the money you save now by buying the 32fs13 instead of the 32" HDTV or 36" SDTV, invest it, and in 4 years when you have to upgrade, you'll have the cost of a really nice HDTV covered (which will be bigger than a 36" 4:3).

If, on the other hand, you want the coolest toy right now, get the HDTV (there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.)