32" Flat Non-HD Sets - Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Scott Bourden, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Scott Bourden

Scott Bourden Second Unit

Hello,

I am in the process of purchasing a non-HD 32" flat screen television (Non-HD due to cost restrictions). I've narrowed my choices down to three televisions as of now. Linking to the Futureshop as an easy reference to view the televisions.

JVC AV-32FA44

$999 regular price.

Toshiba 32AF43

$999 on sale, regular $1099.99

Sony KV32FS100

$1099 regular price.

I've viewed all three sets, although not in anyting resembling optimum conditions. (crowded, heavily lighted display floor) and all were far apart from each, making it difficult to do a side by side comparison.

From my limited viewing and tweaking, the Toshiba seems to be giving what I consider the most pleasent picture, followed by the JVC I'Art. (keep in mind, like I said, the conditions for viewing were poor).

The only downside I can find with the Toshiba is that it seem you cannot turn off the internal television speaker when running the audio to a reciever. While not a deal breaker, I do not want what I consider to be "tinny" tv speakers to be going alingside my HT.

I am wondering if anybody has experiences with one or all of these sets, and knows any of their quirks or anything notable I should consider.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

It's called turning the volume down on the TV ... [​IMG] for the TOshiba set...

All calibrate well and all have the inherent geometry flaws with flat tube sets.

regards

3. Scott Bourden

Michael,

My concern was, coming from an older RCA 32" CRT, that I could control the television volume through the television volume bar, and not have to change the volume on the receiver. I was under the impression that if I turned down the volume of the television, it would affect the stereo volume as well. (In my current set, the option is "Variable volume, Speakers off")
    That seems to have been woreded confusingly, I hope you can decifyer what I am trying to say [​IMG]

From your experiences with these sets, would you recommend one over another in terms of quality, and / or reliability?

Thanks

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Check the specs. on the Sony because I think it can be set to "Fixed" or "Variable" "Variable Audio Outputs" allow the TV to control the Audio Volume Level sent to the Receiver which means you can use the TV's Remote to control Volume Levels. The Toshiba & JVC have "Fixed Audio Outputs"

Variable Audio Output: The TV's Remote or the Receiver's Remote will control the Volume. The Tv's Speakers should be turned "Off"

Fixed Audio Output: Only the Receiver's Remote will control the Volume & the TV's Speakers have to be turned "Off" or the Volume Control should be lowered all the way.

5. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Scott, why non-HD models? At $1,000, you have a few HD-capable options. In addition, it doesn't make sense to spend that kind of money on an NTSC-only display -- not this late in the game.

6. Scott Bourden

Jack,

This is $1000 CAD, so my options are a little more limited.

The only HD compatable sets in my price range, that I can find locally, are an Advent HT3061A 30" Widescreen at $1100 and the Toshiba 30HF83 30" at $1400.

For the size of my room, I will be needing a 32", 27" is not large enough for my needs. Also, the majority of my viewing is 4:3 (more broadcast television and 4:3 video games then movies).

While I would absolutley love a 30 or 32" HD compatable television, they are a little out of my current budget.

For reference sake (and perhaps future consideration if I decide to hold off on the purchase so I can save more cash) what televisions under around $1400 - $1500 CAD, (so roughly $1200 USD) would you recommend?

Thanks to everyone who has made suggestions and given advice so far.

7. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

I would personally use an old 13in beater for $49 until I could save up more for an HDTV. But, thats just me.

8. Jonty Rees

Jonty Rees Stunt Coordinator

I'd go with the fixed volume output and use the reciver to control the volume. If it's a remote issue, you can get a One For All learning remote off ebay for

9. Scott Bourden

Anybody have any experiences with this set?

Toshiba 30HF83 30" Widescreen

I am strongly considering holding out for this television (it is $1400 CAD). There is also a 34" HD compatable widescreen by a company by Advent, but I have not heard of them before, and have not had the chance to demo their unit, thought 4 more inches for only $100 more then the Toshiba is quite alluring.

10. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I would stay away from the Advent. If I remember right it's an odd ball brand from China with plenty of returns to Best Buy. Do a search on it here & you should get some info on Advent HDTV's. You might also want to wait & see if Wal-Mart gets the new 30" Wide-Screen Sanyo HDTV in & everyone's guessing the price will be $747.00 (USA). Some of their stores right now have been getting the new 32" 4x3 Sanyo HDTV in. which is also going for $747.00 You can check www.sanyo.com for the specs. but the set seems to be loaded with connections & features for the price.

11. Scott Bourden

Bill,

Thanks for the input, it is much appriciated.

Is there any set ETA on those Sanyo sets? After looking at the specs and listed inputs, I am very interested in this unit, and seems to be undercutting the Toshiba's price by a fair margin. If it's picture quality is as good as it's input selection, I will be very impressed.

12. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Scott, From what I understand some of the Wal-Mart stores already have the 32 inch set in. For more info & a quick test report on the 32 inch model go to www.avsforum.com from what I read over there both of the Sanyo models look very good & there is talk that they also might be coming out with a 27 inch model with the same specs.