32" DV sets?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rick Radford, Jul 28, 2001.

1. Rick Radford

Rick Radford Supporting Actor

I recently bought a JVC 32260 set and really like it. However, I'd like to get a set that will let me take advantage of my new progressive scan Panasonic RP91 DVD player.
    I thought I'd get the Panasonic 32HX41 and return the JVC... but the various threads I turned up here with a search indicate substantial geometry problems inherent to this set.
    Is this generally true of the HX41 series? Or is it just a case of the only ones posting are the ones with problems?
    Any other digital DV sets to consider?
    This is to fit in an armoire with a 35" wide opening.. so RPTV suggestions ain't gonna help. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    --RR

2. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Rick, there is, of course, always the Sony XBR series. In addition, Toshiba is soon supposed to be releasing their 32 inch flat tube sets - one of which will be HDTV-ready and accept a 480p signal - model # something like 32HFX71. Samsung also makes an HDTV-ready set, I believe. The earlier version of this set, I think, handled 480p and 1080i but it downconverted 1080i to 480p. I believe the new version of the set is more truly HDTV-ready. Don't quote me on this...better to visit their web site and do some research. RCA also makes an HDTV-ready set.
    good luck,
    --tom

3. Rick Radford

ThomasL,
    From what I've read, the XBR series is also plagued with serious geometry problems. [​IMG]
    I'll hafta check out the Toshiba and Samsung models. I've been very pleased with my Samsung SyncMaster 900 nf computer monitor. So if they build a consumer DTV to the same quality level, I'd be happy.
    thanks for the references.
    ------------------
    --RR

4. Dave Ramsey

Dave Ramsey Auditioning

I saw a Samsung 32" flat screen DTV (not sure of model) at Best Buy this weekend. It was on display next to a Sony flat screen DTV (model HS20 I believe). They were both receiving what appeared to be a non-digitial signal (i.e. ntsc). The Samsung did a much better job than the Sony upconverting the signal. The Sony had a lot more jaggies and digital artifacts. The Sony in my opinion was unacceptable for regular TV watching (I'd rather be looking at my $600 JVC 32 in).
    The Samsung was 1499.00, around $300 cheaper than the Sony I think. I don't know much more about the Samsung model(check there website), but I would definately be considering it if I were looking for a 32 inch DTV. For me, how a dtv handles lower resolution sources is at least as important as how it looks with digital sources since the majority of TV is still (and will continue to be probably for a few years to come) broadcast in 480i.
    Good Luck...
    -dr

5. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Dave, I also saw that set this weekend at Best Buy. I liked the design and the picture was pretty decent. I believe Samsung has information on their web page regarding this model - well, or something close to it. The model in Best Buy ended in a 93F or something like that. The model at Samsung's web site was 95F. Wish tv manufacturers would keep their web sites up to date [​IMG] As for the set Best Buy carries, it is also listed on their e-tail web site.
    cheers,
    --tom

6. Rick Radford

FWIW, I checked the Samsung web site and found three 32" HDTVs listed:
    TSL3293HF
    TSL3294HF
    TSL3295HF
    They all measure 35 7/8 wide... exceeding my 35 max width. And I've already found wrestling a 115 lb TV in that space wasn't much fun.
    Yes, I know I could cut out the entire back and slide the set in from the rear... but moving a 400+ lb armoire isn't my idea of a good time. [​IMG]
    I found nothing with either a google or pricescan search for Toshiba, Hitachi.
    ------------------
    --RR

7. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Rick, good to see you at least tracked down the Samsung models [​IMG] Best Buy is carrying the 93HF I believe and yes, it was fairly wide. Too wide for my entertainment center as well. Take a look at this forum's postings for the last few weeks and you should find a posting of a link to Toshiba's Canadian site and a PDF document that describes some? of the new models to be released.
    cheers,
    --tom

8. Rick Radford

Tom,
    thanks for the pointer. I found that pdf and it looks like Toshiba 32HFX71 is the beast to check out.
    I found this on Wired.com:
    >>Toshiba 32HFX71
    Toshiba's 32-inch direct-view HDTV has a 4:3 aspect ratio, but its anamorphic squeeze feature makes the most of wide-screen DVDs: It cleverly impersonates a 16:9 monitor, letterboxing the picture so it retains more vertical
    resolution.
    Like the Panasonic, it has two sets of component inputs. And, as with both other picks, its two-tuner picture-in-picture viewing feature lets you inset the ball game while you keep an eye on something else.
    32HFX71: $1,999.95. Toshiba: (800) 631 3811, +1 (949) 583 3000, http://www.toshiba.com.

9. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Rick, do you have a URL for that wired.com article?
    cheers,
    --tom

10. Rick Radford