What's new

32" Direct View vs 42" RPTV (1 Viewer)

Matt Lee

Agent
I've been researching this for awhile and now I've narrowed down my TV choices to about 2 or 3 models. Its mainly down to the Sony 32HS510, the Toshiba 32HFX72, and the Toshiba 42H83. The reasons for these models is I was pretty set on a 32" direct view until the Toshiba 42" caught my eye. I'm planning on buying something in the fall and my price range is about $1000-1500, though I'm hoping to get something for around $1300 or less with sales and discounts and stuff.

DVDs are the most important thing to me, and both the 32" have 16:9 squeeze mode, but I also play a lot of videogames and watch some tv, so while I'd love a real widescreen set, the 4:3 picture on a 30" is too small and a 34" set is too expensive. With the best conditions I've been able to manage (at stores) the Toshiba HFX72 looked a bit better than the HS510 to me, but with so many happy customers of the 510, I don't know if I'd really notice the difference overall. The only reason I'm still considering the sony however, is the HFX72 is a little more expensive, and doesn't have a DVI input.

So here's where the 42" comes in. I'm not big on RP, but then I've never experienced one in a proper environment. Anyway, this Toshiba caught my eye at Best Buy the other day, because it looked pretty good, and the price was (on sale) slighty less than the 32" models I was interested in, plus it was a real widescreen set. My biggest complaint with RP is usually fall-off when viewing at angles, because, while my personal experience viewing right in the middle is most important :D I also like to be able to entertain with large groups of college friends, when possible. However, this toshiba model didn't seem to have much fall-off until at least a 45 degree angle, so I started to think for a really nice 42" widescreen HD picture, that might be a good compromise. Also, the H83 isn't a cinema series, I can't afford the HDX 42", but it does have a DVI input. So my only real problems with it at this point are viewing at an angle, and burn-in paranoia. I intend to calibrate it with DVE in the fall but a lot of videogames will be played on it, and I have roommates who I don't trust 100% not to leave stuff on.

So to sum things up:

32HS510 - 16:9 mode, DVI in, good stuff
32HFX72 - 16:9 mode, no DVI, liked picture better than 510
42H83 - Real 16:9 set, DVI, RPTV issues, looked good but don't know how it will compare overall to direct view sets, especially since it may not be as much of a hi-end model.

Any thoughts? I'm also thinking in terms of being able to use this TV a few years down the road if I get the money together to get something bigger/better, so I want it to last awhile (RPTVs shorter life than direct view?)

BradJudy

Stunt Coordinator
I'm currently looking at the Sony 32HS510. It looks great (although I'm not sure that I've seen it alongside the Toshiba) and it and the 500 have gotten great feedback online (mainly reading avsforum.com and here). I'm also interested in something to last a while (current TV is 12+ years old) and my focuses are on TV and movies (no game consoles). Of course I'm not much help because RPTVs were thrown out to start for space reasons - the 32" is as big as I'll be going for now.

One note: if your game playing involves and X-Box, you should look to the Sony. Some X-Box games are in 720p which not all sets support (the Sony does and seems to be THE brand for X-Box folks). It looks like the RPTV Toshiba has 720p support (at least the 42H82 does), but nothing in the 32HFX72 specs about 720p.

I'm also keen on having DVI for next-gen set-top satelite/cable boxes and/or next gen DVD players (some current gen ones have DVI already).

I bet all of them are great, but check into 720p on the 32" Toshiba if you're playing X-Box.

Matt Lee

Agent
Funny you should mention that, as I do in fact plan on playing a lot of Xbox on it. I was not aware the 510 supported 720p. I don't believe the Toshiba does, so that plus the DVI may sway my decision towards the 510. I thought the toshiba looked a bit better but I imagine with better calibration than the store had, the 510 would be plenty good for my present needs, and I really can't be too picky considering my budget. Thanks for the info. Still interested to see what anyone thinks of the RPTV in my situation. A real widescreen display is just so tempting.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
With your viewing habits Matt I would recommend you buy a 4:3 direct view set. I own a 36" Sony HS510 and I love it! My viewing habits are similar to yours. I love movies and games and I watch some tv. So, right now I think a 4:3 set is best. In 5 years i'd give you a different answer. :) Just so you know I paid $1500 for my 36" HS510 and that was with free shipping. If you live in the Chicago land area you can get the same deal. Even still you should be able to find the 36HS510 for $1500 if you bargain hard.

Dan.B

BradJudy

Stunt Coordinator
Matt:

Here's a quote from crutchfield's description of the 32HS510 that confirms 720p support (the same statement is made on the 36HS510):

This Sony is compatible with both 1080i and 720p HDTV signals (720p is converted to 1080i — a big advantage, as many TVs must downconvert 720p to 480p resolution).
The 32" Toshiba might do 720p, but I can't find anything that says it does or how it handles it.

$1500 on the 36HS510 is a good deal. I'm looking at getting my 32HS510 from my.sony.com for $1200 with free shipping which is as good as I've seen, but I haven't been trying to haggle.

I would be in the same position debating an RPTV widescreen if it wasn't for my space restriction. Of course I've been using a 20" TV for 12 years, so the 32" is a huge size increase and I'd probably go for the picture quality of a direct-view over a RPTV.

AlbertL

Agent
Matt: I strongly recommend the 42-incher over the 32.

Last year I got a Sony 32XBR450. I liked it; but after 6 months it just wasn't cutting the mustard for DVDs.

So the Sony has been moved to my bedroom (quite a nice set for a bedroom!) and in its place is a 42-inch Mitsu. A much better buy, the Mitsu.

My feeling is games can be enjoyed on smaller tvs - hell, most of us probably still use 17 inch computer monitors for games - but most folks in this forum are home THEATER fans first :). After a few DVDs on the 42 incher, you won't regret it the least.

Matt Lee

Agent
I would agree about the 42" and I imagine 42" fully widescreen DVDs would be incredible, and a bit more impressive overall than the compressed 16:9 field on a 32" TV, however, we really do play a lot of videogames among us including a lot of 4 player games (5 people living in my apartment), and unless we have 2 TVs in our livingroom, and I demand videogames only be played on the smaller, its not going to work. And even then, at least 1/3 of my interest in HDTV is progressively displayed Xbox and Gamecube. So, really, I need to be able to play games on it. As much as I'd love the 42" What I'm probably going to do is get a 32", probably the sony, considering the features, and then in a few years, maybe if DLP sets are down to the price of CRTs, get a 42" or 50" or something and then I'll still have my 32" for videogames, plus the bigger screen will (IMO) look unquestionably better.

AlbertL

Agent
Oh, I didn't realize you had THAT many folks clamoring for Halo or Ghost Recon or whatever you play :)

In that case, you are making a good decision; I would do the same as you, even taking into account my infatuation with the 42-inch Mitsu.

With that many people sharing the tv; you'll be better off with the lower-maintenance Sony.

Steve Carlo

Stunt Coordinator
I went around and looked at many RPTV's although slightly more expensive than yours and found the Mitsubishi's to be the best compromise of features and picture quality. A 55" Gold series (no HD tuner) runs around 2200 and the 48" in Best Buy for 1699. There is a 42" which is cheaper still.

Also as many people may have said...set up in all but a decent hi-fi/audio/TV shop is usually nasty looking with bright garish colors. RPTV does do better with a lower ambient light, but it doesn't have to be that much lower than regular TV to look good.

Matt Lee

Agent
Just an update on my situation...I'm beginning to lean towards the 42" RPTV. My reasons are DVDs are the most important thing to me and it really seems to be such an incredible bang for the buck...but my thoughts on videogames are I'm going to talk to my roommates and see if we can't work out some rules. I've gotten the impression that with it setup well (I plan to buy Digital Video Essentials as soon as it comes out, which will probably be before I get the TV, hopefully mid-september) burn-in won't be too much of a concern if we just play an hour or two of videogames here and there, and so it'd be great for the occasional party-gaming, but I'll probably ban the usual 10 hour single player sessions, which I don't think really belong in the main common area of our apartment anyway.

So my final decison won't be made for a couple months yet, but if I can prevent the kind of videogaming that will almost guarantee burn in, and just allow the occasional necessary stuff (1-2 hours tops) I think I should be pretty safe and can hopefully keep myself from ruining the experience by worrying about burn-in all the time. I may still end up with the 32" for piece of mind, or try to find some way to stretch my budget to accomodate a 34", but if all goes well and my roommates can deal with the stated limitations, I think the compromises will be worth it for DVDs in 42" widescreen splendor.

My only remaining concern with the 42H83 is the things I've been reading about a problem with faint lines caused by the 540p upconversion? Have these issues been resolved? I've heard the 42H83 is the only model that can't solve this by switching ot 1080i for some reason?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks