32" curve vs. 27" flat.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MikeGorby, Aug 8, 2003.

1. MikeGorby

MikeGorby Auditioning

I have about $450 to spend.

What do you guys reccomend.

a 32" curve screen, ie sharp

or 27" flatscreen, ie toshiba, sharp, samsung

What would you prefer, i sit about 4 feet back from the screen, in the basement no lighting issues.

2. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

I'd definitely go with the 27 inch flat screen at 4 foot viewing distance. You should be able to get into a Toshiba 27" flat screen at that price. Alot of members here love their Samsung 27" flat screens too. There's a Samsung clone sold for about $100.00 less at Sam's under the Akai name I believe. Good luck my friend.

3. Chad B

Chad B Stunt Coordinator

You know, this might be straying from the original question, but the 4 foot distance reminds me of what I've thought would make an awesome close viewing experience- a 19-22" multisync computer monitor being fed a hi res (SXGA or higher) signal from a scaler or getting a direct feed from a HD box. Depending on the particular hardware chosen, it could be done for somewhere around $500-600, I'd think.
    Anyone else think a modern large computer crt monitor would make a great closeup TV monitor (or know why it wouldn't)?

4. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

I'd go with the curved screen. Less geometry problems and less convergence problems.

Distortion is minimal and you get the benefit of a larger screen.

Regards

5. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I second Michael. Go with the bigger tube especially if you watch a lot of DVD's. You might also want to wait a liitle longer & see what "new" 32" Flat Tubes turn up under the $500 mark.

6. ChrisConklin

ChrisConklin Stunt Coordinator

I have a 27 inch flat samsung that i vew from about 5 feet away and i have to say its awesome, but given the chance to buy again i would save up more to get a 30inch widescreen samsung HDTV, so that way you're never sitting there wondering how it would look w/ progressive scan or anything like that.

7. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

I was going with Mike's 4 foot viewing distance and $450.00 price range is what's going to be his deciding factor. I agree that an HDTV would be nice for him, but as far as I know, no one sells them for $450.00 Plus, it just seems like on a 32" CRT screen at a 4' viewing distance I'd notice the dots on the CRT. That's why I suggested the 27" size.

8. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

i would choose any flat screen over a curved face.

go with the 27"

quality is better then quantity (volume).

9. Bob Kavanaugh

Bob Kavanaugh Second Unit

What about features? I spent $1500 dollars on a 32 inch hdtv and I spend less than 5% of my tv time watching HD or DVD's. I could have had an enormous tv for the price. The features ultimately made the decision for me.