32-36" 16:9 Digital TV recommendations...?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by aaron.r, Sep 19, 2002.

1. aaron.r

aaron.r Extra

Anybody have any recommendations here? (Preferably under $2000)

Thanks,

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

There are several 34”, 16:9 CRT widescreens. The best (in my opinion and limited to those I have seen) are Sony, Panasonic and Toshiba. They all have very fine pictures. They are not, however, easily available at under $2,000, usually selling for closer to $2,200–$2,400. Careful shopping may allow you to meet your price point. Certainly many forum members have found some deals. I’d just make sure that I was buying from an authorized dealer, as it reduces warranty problems.

Panasonic and Samsung make 30”, 16:9 sets at under $2,000, the Samsung well under $2,000 ($1,100–$1,500, depending on the model). Both of these sets also have very fine pictures, with the Panasonic somewhat better (and more expensive).

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I have heard the toshiba 34hd82 is $2199 at retail stores. Glad they aren't charging list price. This was confirmed at a best buy in VA, Amazon also has this price. You probably won't find the sony and panasonic this low.

4. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Both Tweeter and Best Buy were/are selling last year's 34HF81 Toshiba for $1999. The new model - 34HD82 - looks to be $2000-2200 and below $2000 on-line. This is good because this means prices have dropped around ~$400 retail between model years since the 34HF81 was going for $2500 until they started running clearances on them. I've decided to hold out for a widescreen set in the next few years and I'm hopeful that the price gap between these sets and regular 36 inch tubes will close over that time.

cheers,

--tom

5. Eric_M

Eric_M Stunt Coordinator

Keep in mind the Samsungs do have some issues with smoe vertical lines on the set. They are noticeable when watching DVDs via component and s-video.

I went thru 4 sets and all had the problem. Samsung of course denies there being such a problem.

Other than that though, it is a very ncie picture.

I am choosing to just deal.