What's new

301-disc Player? Why? (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Does anybody currently own one of these 301-disc behemoths? ......
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...512912-2302425
Question: WHY would anybody need this much capacity!! 301 discs at once!!?? For Pete's sake, what a nightmare for the person removing all of them and then re-inserting them into the original packaging! (If anyone would.)
For me, anything bigger than a 299-disc changer is just overdoing it! :D :D :D

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
David, 299-disc capacity is just not enough for me. Neither is 300. As a result, I have two 300-disc CD megachangers daisy-chained. :D
I don't have the Pioneer DV-F727 or any other DVD megachanger, but some people here do. The CD megachangers I have are great for casual listening. Shuffle mode is especially worth the price of admission.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
I could see doing this for Cds but to have a mega changer for DVDs, yikes! I guess people just want to throw their collection into a changer and store the cases in the closet.

Oscar W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oscar
Convenience. I have a 301-disc changer that I upgraded to from a 5-disc and I am looking at getting another mega-changer. I was tired (read lazy) of having to go though my collection loading and unloading cd's all the time. Now I can just lay back on the couch and push a button. Damn, were getting spoiled. :D
Plus it saves space. Instead of having all my cd's in thier cases stacked up and accessible to change in and out, they are all now safely stored away. Freeing up a large area on my wall.

MichaelGomez

Stunt Coordinator
Also, isn't it possible to put them all into a remote like a pronto or creston. That way you could just hit the one you want to watch and voila.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Michael, I think it is possible to do that, though I have never tried it. I'm sure people have developed scripts for accessing discs by name with Pronto remotes.

Jerry Gracia

Supporting Actor
I currently have a 5-disc changer.

I have considered trying out these 301 changers since I own almost 250 DVD movies.

Are they really great?

It must be a pain to insert all the disc info!

I'd like to hear experiences from those who own these mega changers.

Jack Keck

Second Unit
My Bother-in-law and his wife bought a 300 disc cd player because they did not have any place to store their cds where their kids, aged 2 7 4 at the time, could not reach them. the 2 year old was really into removing them from their cases. He couldn't get into the cd player.

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I have a 400 disc Sony CD changer, and it is very convenient. I find that I listen to more music than before, and more of a variety now that I don't have to look through my ~320 jewel cases. It took me a couple days (a few hours a day) to insert my CDs alphebetically by artist, skipping a few spaces every 2-3 letters for easy expansion. I have a separate section for soundtracks and compilations.
:emoji_thumbsup:
-Chris

Mike Brantley

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Brantley
These monsters also let you divide your CDs into groups -- by genre or artist, for example. So I can set my changer to randomly pick out jazz tracks, or lounge tunes, or Billy Joel songs.
Mine won't play DVDs, but I find a one-at-a-time DVD player suits me best. But I can see the sense of having just once source component to handle CDs and DVDs and have tons of capacity.
I used to have an 18-disc CD changer. Man, I thought that was excessive at first. Now I have a 301 discs CD changer. :D

Jeff Chiusano

Auditioning
Question: WHY would anybody need this much capacity!! 301 discs at once!!?? For Pete's sake, what a nightmare for the person removing all of them and then re-inserting them into the original packaging! (If anyone would.)
You mean you don't ever watch 301 discs at the same time? Jeez, get with the program buddy :D But seriously, there are a lot of reasons for having a player with this kind of capacity. Many of these reasons have already been mentioned. It all boils down to choice and customer demand. People wanted them, so here they are. These units are more popular than you think.
Jeff

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
how would you guys rate the sound quality of these mega-changers? for my current situation, i'd be forced to use the on-board d/a converters.

i'm concerned that the quality of these d/a's aren't as solid as they could be because all the "money" went to the other benefits of the changer.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Ted said:

i'm concerned that the quality of these d/a's aren't as solid as they could be because all the "money" went to the other benefits of the changer.
Right on. The better CD megachangers out there like the Sony ES, Pioneer Elite, Denon, and Marantz models are good as far as megachangers go, but comparably priced single-disc players are certainly better. Carousel changers are often better too. I have two Sony CDP-CX333ES 300-disc megachangers that retailed for $600. They are good for the money. However, my $579 Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 single-disc player is much better. I only use the megachangers for background music and shuffle play. They work great for those purposes.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Richard, I haven't seen a CD megachanger that plays MP3-encoded CDs, though there aren't many CD players period that play these discs. I wonder if the Kenwood Sovereign DVD megachangers (DV-5050M and DV-5900M) play MP3-encoded discs. The '5900M is a progressive-scan player that plays DVD-Audio discs, and maybe it plays MP3 CDs too. Of course, it is $1500. The '5050M sells for around $800.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I have Sony's 300 disc CD changer and wouldn't be without it now. With the pronto and the supernudelist software (freeware) you can easily develop lists of CD's that are easily accesable and also group them into groups for random playback. As far as sound quality goes the regular line from Sony uses pretty dull DAC's but the ES ones are a good bit better. That said you buy a mega changer for convienice not sound quality.

As far as the DVD changers go I believe people are working on making supernudelist better able to deal with the changers but as far as I know there's still some issues with certain features missing from the DVD changers that are handy in the CD ones...though not owning a DVD changer I'm only going from posts I read some time ago...things might be different now.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thanks for verifying keith! i kind of figured as much...it would only make sense i guess! :)

Leroy R

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 301 disk Onkyo DVD changer and love it. Besides have optical,component, composite, digital coax and S-Video output capability, it also does all of the DTS and other surround mode decoding. The best thing thoough, is that I can store all of the cases that were stacked in my family room, in a remote location. All the DVDs that are loaded can be displayed on the TV screen and I just scroll through the list and pick what I want to watch.

I also have a 300 disk Sony CD changer and just being able to throw that thing into random play is nice and all of those cases can be stored remotely as well.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
The Kenwoods do indeed play MP3 cd's. They also hook up to your computer and download all the DVD and CD information of the disc you have including covers.

I am considering buying the 403 disc 5900. I currently have the 4700 5 disc and the picture and sound quality are tough to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks