What's new

$3000 to spend on screen, tv & sound, help. (1 Viewer)

Larry*S

Agent
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum. Ive been reading the threads for the past few months, and finally got the courage to ask my first question. Being a newbie, I'm sure my question, and future questions have been answered tim and time again, so I appologize in advance for the repetative questions.

Anyway, I have a budget of approximately $3000 for :

Front projection TV
Screen
Sound system.

I understand that I will need dvd, cables..... but thats another budget.

I will be viewing dvd's 90% of the time, so looking 16:9

Room is 17 ft by 10 ft, will be viewing the long way.

seats will be 12 to 16 feet from screen.

looking for a fixed screen

projector to be mounted to ceiling, anywhere from 10 to 14 feet from where the screen will be.

ceiling about 7 ft high

Room is exclusively for theater viewing, absolutely no light at all.

I also understand the many diff brands, types... so just some general guidance would be appreciated.

I live on Long Island, New York. Anyone from around here, and can point me to a place where I could see the projectors in person?

thanks in adavance,

larry*s

kyle-sm

Agent
I'm just going to recommend that you buy all cables on ebay (always soooo much cheaper), also harmon kardon, jbl, and infinity sell all of their refurbished stuff on ebay with the original warranty. I've had good luck with a center channel, and sub on these auctions. Check em out.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Well, many here have made their own screens so you can use the money you save by doing this and channel it to a better FP and audio setup. You can get something like the Sanyo Z1 or Panasonic L200U for around $1K leaving you with $2K for the other stuff. The audio is much more subjective so you definitely want to do your own demoing. I am partial to Yamaha's newer line of receivers and if you get something like the Yamaha RXV1400 (6.1, dts-ed, DD-EX, DPL2, dts-neo etc) you will be set. Some of the speaker lines I like include Paradigm, PSB, and Dahlquist.

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
Unless you want to go the HTIB route, you should look at refurbs and DIY to stretch your budget. ecost, accessories4less, harman and dmc-electronics are all good places to start. Make sure to save enough money in your speaker budget for a good sub - it's a "make or break" item...

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
HTIB is a possibility although if you plan it out, you just may squeeze in a nicer/beefier receiver and speakers along with a 1/4HDef front projector if you make a diy screen.

Luke_Lemmings

Stunt Coordinator
Go for the DIY screen and ditch the HTIB idea.

You will get so much more performance out of a separate reciever and good speakers. The room isn't small so decent speakers and reciever is a must.

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
Please understand I'm not a HTIB proponent - he's just trying to cover a lot of ground with $3K. Maybe my post should have read "to avoid a HTIB, consider DIY and refurbs"...

I stand by my suggestion to allocate a "sub"stantial amount to the sub!

Larry*S

Agent
Im taking it all in, and beginning my research.

There is so much out there, I just needed to be pointed in the right direction.

Problem I have, is the closest place that sells and displays front projection only deals with high end stuff, way out of my budget.

Im still in the construction phase anyway, so i still have time to plan.

Sheet rock is done, ceiling is up, afew scars, bruises and 4 stitches to show for my effort.

next is spackling.

Ive just ordered some sample colors of material to get a feel for decorating, and have spent hours looking through many threads and viewing the members theaters.

Ill keep you posted,

larry

ps. If anyone is from the long island, NY area and knows of any good local stores, let me know

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
A very good value for HT audio on a budget is the Rocket ELT system consisting of four satellites, an outstanding center channel and a 200 watt subwoofer. I don’t own this system, but I’ve heard it demonstrated and it is a very good value. AV123 will package this with a Denon 1804 receiver for $1,250. By itself it is $900.

If this does not suit, I would recommend looking into some other internet companies such as Ascend or Axiom. They all make good products at a very attractive price point.

This would leave you $1,750 for the projector and screen. Personally I’d not try to get a powerful subwoofer on this budget, but try to get an overall, well-balanced system. Buy a power sub in a year or two, when you have a different budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks