What's new

3000 Mile Oil Change Becoming Obsolete (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
The well established problem with that particular test was that since taxi cabs run so constantly there is significantly less "cool and heat" cycling going on with the oil. The oil gets hot, runs at operating temperature for 8-12 hours or more, then cools down. The heat-up/cool-down cycle is one of the things that's hardest on oil! Running at less than optimal operating temperature like we do on a i0 minute drive to the grocery store is the worst!

dany

Supporting Actor
Real Name
D
I'm thinking all the stop and go and in the middle of summer,sitting there at idle,come on.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Having the oil cold, and not allowing it to get warm (by taking short trips), is far worse.
Unfortunately, extended idle periods is a really crappy way to warm up the oil, as well.

AjayM

Screenwriter
Here's one place that I and a few other enthusiasts use for oil analysis - http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

I highly recommend it, I also recommend finding some good information about what is good/bad about oil and how it relates to engines. The money you may be spending on un-needed oil changes will easily cover the cost of the test, plus it will tell you a whole lot about the condition of your engine.

Andrew

SarahG

Second Unit
I usually hit it about once every 4,500 or 5,000. I've gotten into that habit despite doing every 3,000 for so long. I can't tell a difference in performance....but I wouldnt.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks