What's new

$3000 Challenge (1 Viewer)

brianBA

Auditioning
Hi guys,

This is my first post so please take it easy on me. I have been reading the posts on the forum for the past week and I have really enjoyed the information exchange.

I have decided to upgrade my home entertainment system and I am soliciting any assistance that you guys are willing to provide. Note: Andrew Pratt has been very helpful to get me started with this project.

I am in the market to buy a TV, DVD Player, Receiver & Speakers. I am working with a few constraints. First is a Budget ($3000). Second, a wife. Well to clarify the second I should say a very picky wife (no big tower speakers, Must utilize existing entertainment cabinet). More or less she is telling me that I can have a great sounding system but she does not want people to walk into our living room and first think that we have decorated around the home theater system.

The room is 15' x 20'. Hardwood floors. 10' ceiling. Entertainment cabinet with 36" I.D. (I know this narrows my TV choices)

After doing some research and getting the help from people like Andrew Pratt here is what I am considering:

TV: Sony 30" Wide Screen HDTV model :KV30HS420 $999 (35 3/8" O.D.)
DVD player: Zenith DVB318 or LG equivalent $200
Receiver: Denon AVR 1804 $400
Speakers: Energy Encore $1000

Equipment Total: $2600 (plus cables / connectors , etc....) approx $3000

Please let me know what you think about these choices or provide any suggestions.

Thanks,

Brian

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Hi there, Brian, and welcome to Home Theater Forum.

Since you are asking for overall advice on getting started with a home-theater system, seeking specific input on specific components for an entire system, I've moved your post to the section where it best fits, Audio/Video Sources.

The Basics area is for general discussion at the beginner level (example: "What's the different between DLP and LCD?").

Then, when you're ready to ask for input on each specific component, you'll get the best response if you post in the area of HTF specifically designated for such (for input on your potential RPTV, go to Display Devices, etc.).

What's cool about HTF (among many other things) is that you'll find a lot of friendly people eager to help you out.

So, enjoy your time here at HTF. Best of luck on your system.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Those look like some good choices, but I'm going to mention some possible options that may offer more bang-for-the-buck. Since the TV you're looking at has HDMI then I wouldn't use the Zenith because it has a known problem with white crush over DVI. You may want to look at the Denon 1910 coming out in August for $270. It doesn't do scaling over component but it will have the FLI2300 chipset and Denon is known for great implementation of both DCDi and DVI scaling. You may also want to look at the Onyx Rocket ELT system from AV123. It's available for $999 and they also have a deal that includes the 1804. You may want to consider the ELT and going with maybe a refurbished Denon 2805 or 3803, both of which are available for $530 from ecost. Either of these would give you ALOT more receiver for the money. The ELT speakers would probably also be a better bang-for-the-buck choice with a much nicer finish and close to the same size.

So here's my proposed system:

Same Sony TV: $1000
Denon 1910 DVD: $280
Denon 3803 or 2805 Receiver: $530
Rocket ELT Speaker Package: $1000

Total: $2810

This leaves a couple of hundred dollars for cables which should be enough if you shop wisely and don't overspend. I think this system has some major upgrades over the one you mentioned in your prior post, especially in the electronics. You may also want to look at the 30" widescreen CRTs from Samsung, Philips, Panasonic, and I even hear Sanyo has a great one. These would offer a couple of hundred dollars savings atleast and the PQ on these sets is great, probably 90% - 95% of the Sony. If you went with one of the other brand 30" CRTs you could even afford the Denon 3805 receiver refurbished from ecost for $650 which is nearly half off retail and a receiver that would probably last through several speaker upgrades (assuming there's not a big new audio format in the next few years).

Hope this helps :)

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
brianBA: A 30" widescreen?

If you do a lot of TV watching as opposed to widescreen movies, with the 4:3 ratio of a typical TV broadcast you're going to end up with a very small final image. And I have yet to see a TV that doesn't do strange things to a 4:3 image when any of their stretch modes are activated.

In you're situation (if TV viewing is paramount) I would much rather look for a nice 36" 4:3 set. And, relatively speaking they are becoming quite inexpensive because they are becoming "old fashioned" nowadays.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Lance makes a good point, but you may be hard pressed to find a 36" HDTV at the $1k price point. A 32" 4:3 set would, however, offer 98% of the 16:9 screen size of a 30" widescreen while offering over 40% more 4:3 screen size. For this reason I went w/ a 32" 4:3 HD set for my bedroom instead of a comparable priced 30" widescreen.

Steven_Jobe

Stunt Coordinator
Another thing you had in there was around $400 left for cables. You should NOT need that much for cables. Buy the inexpensive RCA brand from Home Depot which will give you the same quality for much less price. A component cable runs $20 compared to $70 for Monster and others. You should also look at the RCA speaker wire from HD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks