$300 to spend. Please help me!

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Adrian Ferrari, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Adrian Ferrari

Nov 23, 2003
    I am cursed. I am an audiophile on a shoe-string budget. I have about $300 to spend and I need help deciding which component of my HT I should upgrade and with what product.

I purchased my first piece of audio equipment in 1998. It was one of Sony's first HTIB. I can remember thinking how amazing it sounded. Needless to say I caught the audio equipment bug. I read all the audio magazines and websites I could find. I started putting together systems for my friends and family. All the while I never had the money (college) to upgrade my now pitiful Sony HTIB.

I'm out of college and ready to begin upgrading. Money is tight so I need to upgrade piece by piece. I have about $300 (no more) to spend on my first purchase.

Which component should I upgrade first?

My guess would be that a speaker upgrade would make the most immediate impact.

In this case which speaker set is best under $300?

I have heard good things about the JBL NSP1 but was wondering if they are still the sub $300 champs. Is there something better in this price range? Anyone here have first hand expierience with this set?

I guess the bottom line is that I am trying make the most out of the little money I have. Can you guys help me out with the best possible upgrade path?

My Total Budget is around $700-$800

Thanks in advance
  2. John S

John S Producer

Nov 4, 2003

AVR125 from Harmon Kardon $180 refurb
    AR 112PS powered 12" Sub $120 refurb

I had three JBL subs go out on me over the years, needless to say I no longer buy JBL subs.
  3. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Aug 13, 2003
    John recommended some good equipment for a budget price.

I would also recommend looking at (when you are looking to spend a little more) for speakers, the Athena Micro's and the Klipsch Quintets. I own the Quintets and love them, and will soon be moving to some bigger Klipsch bookshelves myself... can't wait!