$300 good price for Denon DVD2800 ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Basham, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Scott Basham

Scott Basham Stunt Coordinator

It looks like Denon is clearing out several of the 2800s that probably came back in due to required updates with the first round of problematic 2800s. I currently have a Yamaha handling the DVD duties, but it's not progressive, so I thought this might be a good time and price to move up to a progressive unit. If anyone has one, what's your opinion on the audio capabilities for standard cd playing?

Thanks!

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Scott, are you saying that at $300, the DVD-2800 you found is a factory refurb? Just wondering what you meant by Denon "clearing out" the '2800. If $300 gets you a brand new, A-stock '2800, then you are getting a great deal. If it were full price, I would say it wouldn't be a good deal by today's standards. At the higher price, my feeling is that I should get either DVD-Audio or SACD, if not both (as in the case of the Pioneer Elite DV-47A.

3. Kevin Peak

Kevin Peak Agent

Kev
    Scott, if you don't mind me asking, where did you see this deal?

4. Scott Basham

Keith and Kevin,
    The price I was talking about was for a Ubid acution: http://www.ubid.com/actn/opn/getpage...tionId=6544315
    With 76 available, I thought it had to be something as I described earlier. I have bought things from Ubid before that looked and operated like brand new, so I thought that might be a deal. Right now, the price is $229, but I was just thinking that if a person could pick one up for the final bid price $300 or so, it might be a good deal. On a Ubid auction, you really never know, the bidding may take all 76 players up close to retail price, but I just wanted to know what a fair/good price for them would be.
    Thanks!

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Scott, although you have had good experience with Ubid, I would stay away from them. They have a suspect reputation. I have read comments from many people who say they received defective merchandise and had difficulties returning it. To me, Ubid is just worth the trouble.

6. Jim Golden

Jim Golden Stunt Coordinator

I looked at this player in December 2001. The best price I could get from my dealer (I'm a repeat customer) was $729.00.

Jim

7. Kevin_Kr

Kevin_Kr Supporting Actor

Jim even i could do better than that for you.

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jim and Kevin, brick-and-mortar stores that are authorized Denon dealers usually offer, at best, minimial discounts on Denon products. Considering that the '2800 typically sells for $800 at such stores, $729 isn't too bad. I would sooner buy from an authorized brick-and-mortar dealer than from Ubid.

9. EricK

EricK Second Unit

Eric
    If you read the fine print at the top of the auction...it says that

10. Scott Basham

Erik,

If you scroll down toward the bottom, you'll see that warranty is supplied through Denon and not a refurbishing company. My guess is that these units are coming from Denon, but if not, Denon must have faith in their refurbishing abilities in order to give a warranty. This being the case, what difference is that, than if Denon were to outsource all or part of the manufacturing of a component?

It's certainly true that going with Ubid can be a gamble, no arguing there. From reading about the 2800, it looks like Denon had an unresolved software glitch when the 2800 was released. The glitch was fixable by upgrading the firmware via a cd. My assumption (yes, I know about those) is that these are units returned or called back from stores that had to have the firmware updated on them. Not that this is the circumstance, but from my understading, refurbished would even include units that had never been shipped if they were to be unboxed and modified/updated before leaving the factory.

Either way, it probably doesn't matter much. It looks like the bidding with go quite higher before it is up. Not that it's very important, but my original post was not whether to buy from Ubid, but what people thought about their 2800s?