$300 budget player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Jason.Soko, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

With the seemingly infinite amount of CD players out there can anyone suggest a couple of nice players for around $300? I was looking at the Sony CDPCX355 only because it would be amazing to have a giant catalogue of all my CD's and never have to touch them again. But of course the question becomes why can you get a 300 disc change for $200 when there are $4000 single cd players out there. I can't see myself paying more than a few hundred for an old technology. I guess I just don't see how they can be THAT much better. I am a naturalistic listener, I don't like any extra color added anywhere. Warm sound without highend rolloffs. Something that will match my I-5 and Hawks well.

BTW my setup is ,

Marantz SR6200
    Simaudio I-5
    Currently ESS Model 5's (Heil Air Motion Transformers [​IMG] )
    soon to be Totem Hawks

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

For about 300 i think the most popularly mentioned are the Ah!, NAD 521i, theres a cambridge audio one, i forget, and i'm too lazy to find all the model #s. I personally, based on reviews and gumption bought the NAD 521i and it is a very nice player. I've not really compared it to any other comparable players, but the step up from an old sony changer was significant. I recommend it on it's own merit, but not necesarily over any other player, as I've not compared it side-by-side. The sound is quite good, and I'm using it on a Marantz 5300 w/ paradigm mini-monitors. The dacs in the player are slightly softer than in the marantz, and it just slightly rids the 'digms of a little bit of high-end sizzle. The marantz dacs can be a little too sizzly on the digms, depending on the cd, and they are slightly more i guess you'd say conservative. Smaller soundstage, but a tad more detailed. Not that the NAD is at all muddy, but it has more depth and space, and sometimes things can clump together a little bit if there's a lot going on, wheras the Marantz dacs tends not to be muddled ever. Anyway, maybe that helps, maybe not, but there are some very nice players if you do some looking and some listening. I personally can't ever hear differences between players unless i get them home and side-by-side. It's pretty impossible, so you're either stuck with going by reviews, or ideally, home auditions.

I don't want to get into a war about cd players/transports etc, but there are definitely differences in players, and stepping up from your basic brand cheapo player to a more audiophile oriented player is very significant. And for 300 you should be able to get a very fine single-disc player.

3. Jason.Soko

Jason.Soko Stunt Coordinator

Anyone know what type of DAC the Marantz CD-5000 features? I cannot find it anywhere on their site.

4. MarkLaf

MarkLaf Stunt Coordinator

I agree the NAD is an awesume player!!

Love it and useing the analog outs!

Mark

5. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Get the Sony 875P! It will play everything. Almost![​IMG]