30 Years Of Academy Award Winners & Oscar's Greatest Moments??

Krister_

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,

Is the DVD 30 Years Of Academy Award Winners the same as the VHS Oscar's Greatest Moments, I am wondering if all the stars that are included on the VHS is also included in the DVD?? Please help me with this one someone out there

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor

Most definitely NOT!

Beware of that "30 Years of Academy Award Winners" if it is from PASSPORT VIDEO...A well-meaning, but unknowing friend gave that to me as a gift, and I knew it would be filled with pseudo-PD garbage, but I had no idea it would be as awful in content and quality as it was. It's just bad trailers and newsreel footage poorly cobbled together with amateur narration. It's shameful. I threw it out.

OSCAR'S GREATEST MOMENTS was a one-time program made by AMPAS around 1989 or 1990. I can't remember exactly. The Academy produced the show to raise money for some worthy cause at the time. My guess would be possibly to finance their wonderful Margaret Herrick Research Library. Normally they tend to avoid anything perceived as exploitive. RCA/Columbia (as it was then known) was chosen as the distributor of the show, and it was released on VHS and Laserdisc, and given a huge push. I recall it being a big seller, and then it was pulled from shelves, never to be seen again. It was hosted by Karl Malden, who was then the Academy President (or had recently been).

It was great to watch, but at the same time, incredibly frustrating, because the excerpts were so painfully short, it only underscored how sad it is that we can never see the whole shows again.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
What the Academy should do is release the whole ceremonies themselves- they were first broadcast on TV in 1953, and went to color in 1966. Footage from all those shows exist. They should start with some of the more memorable ceremonies- John Wayne's big win in 1970, Chaplin's return to America in 1972, the Anniversary Shows (1958, 68, 78, 98 and '03 - the 75th Anniversary), the 2002 show that aired after 9/11, Elizabeth Taylor getting her first Oscar after nearly dying of double pnuemonia in 1961, Brando's infamous 1973 no-show, the last public appearances of Susan Hayward (1974), John Wayne (1979), and Lucille Ball (1989), Jimmy Stewart poignantly accepting a Lifetime Achievement Oscar for h1s dying pal Gary Cooper (1961), Elthea Finch accepting her late husband Peter Finch's Best Actor award (1977), Ingrid Bergman announcing the historical Best Actress tie with Barbra Streisand's memorable turn at the dais (1969), and Katharine Hepburn's ONLY Oscar appearance, to present her pal producer Lawrence Weingarten with an honorary Oscar (1974). The Academy owns all the Award TV footage, as well as some privately filmed coverage (some in color!) of ceremonies from 1929-52, radio broadcasts, and newsreel footage. AMPAS could make a mint off releasing entire ceremonies on DVD- so why not? I'm sure that the issue of clearance for clips would be not a problem- after all, it IS The Academy!!

Corey

Screenwriter

All those clips I would love to see along with Barbara Stanwyck, Alfred Hitchcock, and Cary Grant getting their Honorary Oscars and Garbo's no-show for hers.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Wow! A terrific idea!

I wonder if there would really be a big market for complete show releases...outside of film buffs? Personally, it would be terrific to see the shows hosted by Carson & Hope.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I'd really love to see the Billy Crystal shows on DVD. I've been taping the shows since '93, and no host did as well in recent years as Billy has. I don't know about Ellen DeGeneres, but I did like her hosting duties at the Grammys, so I'm willing to give her a chance this year. I've always hoped that Robin Williams would serve as an Oscar host- with his 'stream of consciousness' humor, he'd really improvise great stuff as the evening went on. Likewise with Bette Midler.

Alright, I might as well confess that my wildest Oscar show fantasy is that the show would be hosted by (drumroll please):

HOWARD STERN!!!!

Let's face it: with him hosting the show, everyone will be watching! (Of course the show may be moved to HBO for language and nudity.....)

Krister_

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,

I wonder if the video "Oscar's Greatest Moments" has fotage with these stars and if it is any fotage with these stars from the 80's??

(in credits order)
Karl Malden... Himself/Host (archive footage)rest of cast listed alphabetically:F. Murray Abraham... Himself (archive footage)Anne Bancroft... Herself (archive footage)Kathy Bates... Herself (archive footage)Ellen Burstyn... Herself (archive footage)Irene Cara... Herself (archive footage)Johnny Carson... Himself (archive footage)Charles Chaplin... Himself (archive footage)Chevy Chase... Himself (archive footage)Cher... Herself (archive footage)Petula Clark... Herself (archive footage)Joe Cocker... Himself (archive footage)Billy Crystal... Himself (archive footage)Judy Davis... Herself (archive footage)Faye Dunaway... Herself (archive footage)Sheena Easton... Herself (archive footage)Clint Eastwood... Himself (archive footage)Sally Field... Herself (archive footage)Carrie Fisher... Herself (archive footage)Louise Fletcher... Herself (archive footage)Jane Fonda... Herself (archive footage)Jodie Foster... Herself (archive footage)Aretha Franklin... Herself (archive footage)Whoopi Goldberg... Herself (archive footage)Goldie Hawn... Herself (archive footage)Isaac Hayes... Himself (archive footage)Katharine Hepburn... Herself (archive footage)Dustin Hoffman... Himself (archive footage)Paul Hogan... Himself (archive footage)William Holden... Himself (Archive footage)Bob Hope... Himself (archive footage)Linda Hunt... Herself (archive footage)William Hurt... Himself (archive footage)Anjelica Huston... Herself (archive footage)Glenda Jackson... Herself (archive footage)Diane Keaton... Herself (archive footage)Sally Kellerman... Herself (archive footage)Sally Kirkland... Herself (archive footage)Burt Lancaster... Himself (archive footage)Jessica Lange... Herself (archive footage)Sophia Loren... Herself (archive footage)Shirley MacLaine... Herself (archive footage)Madonna... Herself (archive footage)Marlee Matlin... Herself (archive footage)Roddy McDowall... Himself (archive footage)Bill Medley... Himself (archive footage)Bette Midler... Herself (archive footage)Liza Minnelli... Herself (archive footage)Ricardo Montalban... Himself (archive footage)David Niven... Himself (archive footage)Frank Oz... Miss Piggy (voice) (archive footage)Geraldine Page... Herself (archive footage)Dolly Parton... Herself (archive footage)Miss Piggy... Herself (archive footage)Prince... Himself (archive footage)Vanessa Redgrave... Herself (archive footage)Lionel Richie... Himself (archive footage)Mickey Rooney... Himself (archive footage)Brooke Shields... Herself (archive footage)Martin Short... Himself (archive footage)Frank Sinatra... Himself (archive footage)Maggie Smith... Herself (archive footage)Sissy Spacek... Herself (archive footage)Barbara Stanwyck... Herself (archive footage)James Stewart... Himself (archive footage)Meryl Streep... Herself (archive footage)Barbra Streisand... Herself (archive footage)Levi Stubbs... Himself/Voice of Audrey II (archive footage)Jessica Tandy... Herself (archive footage)Elizabeth Taylor... Herself (archive footage)Jon Voight... Himself (archive footage)Jennifer Warnes... Herself (archive footage)John Wayne... Himself (archive footage)Stevie Wonder... Himself (archive footage)

Shawn Cornwell

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding moments from past Academy Award shows, I've been dying for years to see Ann-Margret's star-making performance of "Bachelor in Paradise" from the 1962 show. Years ago during an Oscar telecast a very brief clip of this was aired, but I've never seen the entire segment (I'm longing for it to turn up on Youtube, as I can't find it online anywhere).

However, I did get a chance to view a couple of old shows at the L.A. Museum of Radio and Television (the original museum's in New York). Although they didn't have 1962 on file at the time (June of 2006), I watched the first telecast from 1953, and also viewed the very enjoyable 1958 Oscar broadcast, which included another justly famous musical moment: the strapping, handsome Rock Hudson dueting on "Baby It's Cold Outside" with the incredible Mae West, who puts over her trademark Va-Va-Voom in sensational form. They're outrageous together, and truly bring down the house, as the audience roars its approval at this iconic coupling.

I'm not sure how many other older Oscar shows were on file, but I think these two where the only ones available from 1953-1963.

If the 30 Years DVD set is the one I unfortunately purchased a few years ago (and I think it is), Roger's (post #2) comments are completely accurate- this set has nothing to do with the Oscar ceremonies, and anyone looking for Oscar footage featuring these stars should steer clear from these DVDs.

Forum Sponsors

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lendrena