What's new

30' Sub Cable using RG6? (1 Viewer)

Gil Riddall

Auditioning
I am finishing my basement and want to run my speaker cables in-wall. The cable run from my equipment to mySub is about 30 feet (maybe a little less). Can I use an RG6 cable for this? What connectors would you recommend as well (I'm thinking Cardas SLVR). Thanks for any advise you can give on this - i want to get it right the first time;)

Bob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
You can use it. I used the regular cable with f connectors and bought f to rca adapters, worked fine.

Gil Riddall

Auditioning
Thanks Bob. I have used a coax as you mentioned previously, but I just wonder whether this cable carries the low frequencies as well as it does the high frequencies it was designed to carry. Any thoughts from others?

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I've use RG59 for sub signals before. In fact I am currently. I haven't noticed any problems or issues.

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
You're going to want to use a cable that has a solid (or stranded) copper center conductor. Most common RG59 and RG6 use copper coated steal center conductors, which are fine for RF signals but aren't very good for lower frequency (eg. baseband audio and video) signals. You should be able to go hundreds of feet with a subwoofer signal over good RG6, and probably on RG59 as well; LF signals don't degrade as much over distance as HF signals.

If you can find a cable in RadioShack with a solid copper center conductor than you can either cut off the ends and crimp on your own RCAs, or just buy their F->RCA adapters.

Personally I have a big spool of Belden 1694A RG6 cable which I use for everything. Overkill for subs and video cables, and less flexible than ideal, but easier to have one cable for everything than to have a different spool and different connectors for each task. Oh, as for connectors I use the gold RCA crimp-ons from PartsExpress.

Hope this helps,
-- Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks