What's new

30" sonotube? (1 Viewer)

Mickey Geer

Agent
I know I posted some of this below, but it got lost in my Maelstrom post. My question, is there anything wrong with using such a large diameter sonotube in a short height? My design for the 214L adire alignment(tempest driver) calls for a height of 22" where-as obviously the diameter is 30". I am looking to keep the top of the tube plain by keeping the sub and the ports downfiring. That way, the sub will look like nothing more than an in-table, albeit a very wide one, heh. Anyhow I am looking for any and all opinions, please feel free to give yours, thanks.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
It would be very sad to build a 30 inch diameter sonosub and then find out it has to live in the garage because it won't fit through the door. Something to think about.

Mickey Geer

Agent
Greg: Thanks, I did forget to think about bracing since it was a sonosub but with this diameter, you are probably correct.

Ryan: Indeed, I better check the doorways. I think the small height should be ok if I turn it sideways to get it through, but that is something I had not thought about also.

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Mickey,

Whereabouts in Indiana are you??

I found a good place to get sonotube in Indianapolis. Let me know if you're interested.

JKS

Mickey Geer

Agent
I am from Madison, which is a small town located on the Ohio river, halfway between Louisville and Cincy. Good to see some fellow hoosiers.

NathanH

Stunt Coordinator
So - where is a good place to buy sonotube in Indianapolis? I'm in the area and looking to start such a project :)
TIA!!!
Nathan

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Nathan,

I got my 24" sonotube from:

TRIDEN CONSTRUCTION SUPPLY, INC.
6433 E. 30th Street
Indy, IN 46219
(317) 543-4475

The guy I dealt with there was Mike Kamm.

They had many diameters of sonotube and they sell it in 6ft lengths (many places require a 10 or 12 ft. length). Price seemed reasonable ($5+change/foot), they have Saturday hours (a.m. only), and Mike was helpful.

Let me know how it goes!

What driver/alignment are you planning to use?

JKS

Mike Keith

Second Unit
If your going for a vented alignment then your not going to be able to tune it nearly low enough because there won't be enough room for the port, that is unless you use some 90° bends which are hard to find for 6" or 8" PVC.

NathanH

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks so much!
I'm planning on building a ported, single driver sonotube sub. I will probably buy a 2+ channel amp to drive both my bass shakers and sub instead of building an integrated plate amp into the sub. My budget is ~$200 sans amp.
So far I'm considering drivers in the $100 - $150 range. The tempest, shiva and Dayton 295-190 are at the top of the list and seem to have good reviews. I'm thinking I may try the Dayton just to be different :)

NathanH

Stunt Coordinator
If your going for a vented alignment then your not going to be able to tune it nearly low enough because there won't be enough room for the port, that is unless you use some 90° bends which are hard to find for 6" or 8" PVC.
Is this in reference to the 30" sonotube?

Mike Keith

Second Unit
Yes, unless I missed something, you are using a Maelstrom arn't you, if so you will need about a 22" X 6" (for 20Hz)port to keep the velosity down under 18m/s, a 4" wont do with the Maelstrom.

Frank Mowry

Stunt Coordinator
Unless your tube legs and endcaps are over 8 inches in height, you can always take the tube inside side ways. It's 30 diameter and only 22 inches high. Worst case you put the legs on once it's inside the room. You just can't take it OUT of the room ;)
Frank

NathanH

Stunt Coordinator
Oh - I think I'm misleading everyone. :) I ran across this thread while searching for a sonotube supplier in Indianapolis. (I think its an older thread.)
Anyways, I haven't figured out a design yet, but I'll probably start a new thread for that topic once I have a rough draft. (Don't wanna be a thread hijacker!) :)
So, Mickey - if you're out there - did the sub make it in ok? Any pics?
Nathan

Jeremy Stockwell

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I originally noticed that Mickey was from Indiana and was looking for 30" Sonotube. I know a place in Indianapolis that sells it, but he's down near Kentucky, so that didn't work. This was all in November of 2002.
Yesterday, Nathan found this thread and asked about information for the sonotube supplier in Indy, which I was happy to provide.
Others assumed that the discussion was about 30" Sonotube (since that's the thread's title :)), and replied accordingly. I have no idea what happened with Mickey's project, but I wouldn't consider reviving a six-month-old thread about a related matter "hijacking," though I would suggest that Nathan start a new thread about his own project so that he gets appropriate replies.
JKS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks