30' S-Video cable run?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Gee, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Michael Gee

Michael Gee Auditioning

Greetings all,
    My brother-in-law wants to run a signal from his DVD player in his family room to a Dolby Digital receiver in his study. The length of the run is approximately 30 feet.
    Question: Can s-video cable be run this far or is it better to go with 75 ohm coax and use the DVD player's composite video out instead? I am assuming that the Dolby Digital out (coax) from the DVD player can run 30' with no problems, but I am unsure about the s-video.
    Thanks!

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I have a 75 ft svideo cable so 20 shouldnt be a problem
    Keep it away from 110AC (2 inches at least) and cross at a 90 degree angle when you have to (phase cancelation @90)
    Should be ok and much better quality than coax
    grant

3. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

I was at a Monster Cable training a year ago and they had a 200ft S-video set up and didnt tell us this until the end of the training and it looked great. They even demonstrated the difference between other cables and the 200 S-video cable. 30ft will be no problem.

4. Michael Gee

Michael Gee Auditioning

Thanks Grant and Jeff for your replies. That really clears the air for me (and my brother-n-law). [​IMG]