What's new

30 Rock season 5 thread (1 Viewer)

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I didn't think it was all that bad. Not a great episode by any means, but then again I'm one of the people that thinks the show has been going downhill the past couple of seasons so what the hell do I know?

I did like Julia Louis Dreyfus being Tina Fey's hotter version of herself.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Really? I thought it was really good. I thought they pulled it off. I liked how they were obviously flirting with disaster, tempting the actors to "break" or have a wardrobe malfunction. It was a successful episode, and a lot of fun too.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam Lenhardt

Well tonight was proof positive while this is a single-camera show instead of a traditional sitcom. The audience laughter absolutely killed the pace of the show. I never really got over the SNL-ization of the sets, either. In my opinion, it was a stunt that just didn't work.

Thought it was the best SNL episode in years. But not necessarily a great 30 Rock episode. I thought it was "epic," in the sense that it was live and there were lots of guest stars, but I found it awkward, for the most part. I respect the attempt, but it didn't really work 100 percent for me.
You hit the nail right on the head, Adam -- the laugh-track completely gutted whatever flow the episode's jokes might've otherwise had. Yet, in a sense, maybe that was part of the whole "meta" nature of the piece -- I loved how they embraced the "live" nature of the show, rather than trying to make it look like just another episode. And then explained it as a side-effect of Jack looking at the world through sober eyes. Funniest joke in the episode. Flashing over to Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Liz was inspired, as was the little nod to the joke at the end with Fey taking over. And Damon's "HAHAHA, IT WAS REALLY EXPENSIVE!!" moment was awesome. The energy felt like SNL, but that show could never build jokes over 22 minutes like 30 Rock. (And I want a "Love Storm" CD.)

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Man, that was brutal. I would have turned it off after the first scene if I wasn't already in the middle of a workout.

I applaud the effort, I suppose, but I'm not sure why it was even necessary. The only thing that got a chuckle out of me was Jon Hamm's "hand" (but then it was ruined by what followed).

By the way, where is Cerie? I don't remember seeing her at all this season.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
I enjoyed it. Loved the flashbacks and the "commercials" (the Spaceman commercial made me wonder why in the world Lorne let Chris Parnell go).

Gonna check out the West Coast version tonight.

The weird thing was the carryover effect I had while watching The Office -- I couldn't shake the perception that Dunder Mifflin was live even though I knew it wasn't. I was a little disoriented throughout the episode.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I liked it too. It's hardly one of their best episodes but since they could only do so much live and they had to be anchored to about 3 sets, I didn't think it was half as bad as some people are making it out to be.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
One thing I thought was a little strange was how the actors all seemed to completely lose any type of acting skills they had before due to the live set. I even saw a few peaks at what I assume was a teleprompter (unless they were just looking at the audience). Alec Baldwin was particularly bad. Makes me wonder how many takes they have to normally do with him. Or I suppose he was just out of his element.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by ScottH

One thing I thought was a little strange was how the actors all seemed to completely lose any type of acting skills they had before due to the live set. I even saw a few peaks at what I assume was a teleprompter (unless they were just looking at the audience). Alec Baldwin was particularly bad. Makes me wonder how many takes they have to normally do with him. Or I suppose he was just out of his element.

I imagine it was played up for the show. Alec's been on SNL a lot and from what I recall, he was much more natural there.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I dunno...I think Baldwin kind of seemed the most "SNL" last night, to me. Again, everything being "off" because of him being sober was a great joke.
Also him sniffing paint/Jenna's mouth. I've said this before, Baldwin keeps killing it this season. He's fucking phenomenal. (Really great cookie: When Damon is talking to Liz on the phone, a black baccalaureate party walks behind him, calling back his line from the last time he was on about his flight from Newark to Atlantic City.) That said, I hope this will be the only live show they do -- one is more than enough.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Last night's 30 Rock was firing on all cylinders. One of the best episodes in the series. It was totally Reaganing.

"I'm sorry, I have an erection. I think it's the sound of the skateboard"

Kelsey Grammer was excellent. Too bad that Hank show sucked so hard.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yep, very good "It's like Fort Knox down there" My wife lost it. It's eps like this that make me realize why the live episode wasn't a good to great idea.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Any time Alec Baldwin impersonates Tracy Morgan, an angel gets its wings. I had to rewind and watch that again, like, five times.
SO MANY quotable lines in this latest episode:
  • "When I see you chew your nails like that, it's either because you're very anxious, or you've handled some ham earlier."

• "I can't get a cab, because Greece is playing Pakistan in soccer."

• "You have more hangups than a phone sex line run by Gilbert Gottfried."

• "You're the sexual equivalent of a million Hindenburgs."

• "Now there's only one thing left to do -- beat you out of the Best Friends Gang."

• "She likes that?" "No. But she respects it when it's done correctly."

• "Someone get me a Jolt Cola! THEY DO NOT MAKE IT ANY MORE."
I wonder how many different takes there are of Tracy screwing up that PSA.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
Originally Posted by Patrick Sun

I can remember watching 30 Rock last season, and barely laughing during the episodes, but after reviewing some of the episode reactions from last season, they did have some funny bits in the 2nd half of the season, but I don't know, some of it just seems too forced at times. But we'll see if they can bring the funny on a more consistent basis this season.

I felt the same way, as I find some episodes to be really funny, and others that just tries too damn hard. Basically, hit or miss.

And it seems like I laugh a lot more whenever involves Tracy and/or Kenneth, than when it doesn't.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"Tonight, we are gonna do ONE push-up..."
NBC should be proud of this block of comedy, with Community and 30 Rock. Shit's impressively funny. After last year, where I felt my interest in this show waning slightly, 30 Rock has just been sooooo solid this year.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Another great episode. Biggest laughs for me where DIHC (drive, intelligence, humility, chaos) and Tracy Googling himself in Liz's office. And...

The New York Necks. Tracy's giraffe basketball team. Go Necks!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Wow, the John Slattery guest appearance was terrific. Another great episode all around. Maybe just move the entire cast of Mad Men on to the show.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"Lesbian Mario Bros.!!"

Slattery really deserves an Emmy nomination for last night's performance. He was absurdly good. How long before Elisabeth Moss guest-stars?
The other really awesome moment (besides Jenna's workout video and Fey's ass in those jeans): Che Guevara's grandfather was "Domingo Halliburton."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks