30% off all previously Viewed movies at Blockbuster

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Millers, Jan 7, 2003.

1. John Millers

John Millers Stunt Coordinator

I wonder if BestBuy misses my weekly deposit now that I shop at Blockbuster? 30% all Previously viewed movies.

I picked up the following dvds:
    Men in Black II $14.99 = $10.49
    Evening with Kevin Smith $12.99 = 9.09
    Gosford Park $6.99 = $4.89

Total 27.65 after tax

2. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

I guess the buy2, get 1 free sale is over?

Aaron

3. John Millers

Yes and no.

Movies has ended but the games sale was continued.

The 30% was a better deal for me this time because my 3rd title was cheap. I saved around $2 bucks.

4. JamieD

JamieD Supporting Actor

Heh.. Canadian BB has a 25% off PVDVDs...

I picked up Episode II, Lilo & Stitch, Ice Age, and The Powerpuff Girls Movie (the last three movies needless to say made me popular with the girlfriend) for a $15 average Canadian, taxes in. Not SUPER cheap, but I don't anticipate any copies of any of those sitting around long enough to get any cheaper than that.

5. Dean Kousoulas

Dean Kousoulas Second Unit

Is this going on at all Blockbusters? I know my 2 local ones didn't support the "Buy 2 Get 1 Free" sale.

Dean

6. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Blockbusters in my area do hideous repackaging on all previewed movies (and games for that matter). Do they do this everywhere?

7. Rajj Nair

Rajj Nair Stunt Coordinator

Dan,
    The packaging sucks in the store near me too.
    I wonder why they even use that "security" tab on the covers. The price stickers suck and are a pain to pull off.
    Im planning to repackage them in the AOL Internet cd covers that come in the mail all the time.
    Rajj

8. Dave H

Dave H Producer

All the stores in my area using the bad packaging and put these stickers on the disc that is takes a hair dryer to get off.

As a result, I stick with Columbia House (where it averages 9.00 a disc).

9. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    One of these days I've gotta check out the Columbia House deal. . .
    I actually buy most of my discs at Blockbuster now. . .a couple of weeks ago, during the buy 2 get 1 sale, I got the entire Sopranos 3rd Season for under $27!!! (Unfortunately, that doesn't work for "24", which is a 6-disc set. . .)
    I put all my discs into CD folders anyway. The original cases are in storage until I move somewhere with space for a nice big rack. [​IMG]

10. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

I lucked out. I got

A Beautiful Mind (2-Disc)
    Harry Potter (2-Disc)
    Scary Movie 2

All widescreen, all in their original keepcases, and all discs in near mint or mint condition for $18.88. That's $6.29 a movie; of course I did need to use some Goo-Gone to remove the price stickers.

11. Jason Cald****

Jason Cald**** Stunt Coordinator

It was weird i had one BB that sold all DVDs used at 9.99(6.99 on Sale) i bought 18 movies there, i stopped by a few others because i was looking for a WS version of Goldmember and a Monsters INC. Most the movies i bought were 14.99(9.99 on sale).

I got the following all in WS.

Ice Age
    Eight Legged Freaks
    Showtime
    Scorpion King
    The New Guy
    K-19
    Crocodile Hunter
    Rollerball
    Star Wars I
    Star Wars II
    The Rookie
    Blade II
    Harvard Man
    John Q
    Joe Somebody
    SpiderMan
    Reign of Fire
    Like Mike

About 5 had some nasty looking scratchs on them but the guy told me to just bring any disks i had problems with and then would swap them out.

So i spent $133.36 on 18 DVD's, pretty awesome deal i think. It got me caught up on most the disks i was missing and let me buy some movies i might not otherwise do so since they were only $7.

Warning though out of 5 BB's i went to only one had the $9.99 pricing on them all where they were $6.99 on sale. One place did say they would price match and sell anything else for that price, others said it was different store to store.

12. Dean Kousoulas

Dean Kousoulas Second Unit

"I got the entire Sopranos 3rd Season for under $27!!! "

Wow man that's great. My crappy ball-buster has a horrible pre-owned section, and the titles are never on sale like your stores. We do have orginial cases though...

Dean

13. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

One thing I wonder, since they have the original cases on the wall while they're still for rent, how come most of the cases you get when you buy the Prev Viewed are the stupid one with the space for the anti-theft bar, this has less room for the insert, if you even get the insert. I would think once they were done being rentals the discs would go back into the original cases for sale as Prev Viewed.

14. John Millers

Most stores do not have the space to keep the orginal cases. My friend works for a local BB store and told me that they throw away the cases every Tuesday. Although they receive a case for each copy they have on the shelf, they remove the cover from the case, VHS titles are folded down and stored in the back room. The cases and inserts are then simply thrown in the trash. The locked cases are used for loss pervention. Apparently customer theft was common on the orginal cases as they were never resealed with anything more than a sticker.

15. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

But what about all the empty original cases sitting on the shelves with the rentable/lockable cases?

16. John Millers

According to my buddy it all depends on the store. Most will switch them to the lock cases prior to putting them out for sale. Others just put the case in the orginal case and hope nobody steals them. They have the same problem with movies with unique packaging, snap cases (showtime, I am Sam) and multidisk (Royal Tenembalms(sp), Others. Most of the time the store will run the risk of loss. By Buddy also said you can always ask the CSR to swaplock case for an orginal from the rental wall.

17. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Funny, because when I looked the lock cases I saw in the prev. viewed for sale section, did not have the locking insert in them. So what good is having it in the lock case. I will double check tomorrow.

18. Jason Cald****

Jason Cald**** Stunt Coordinator

Picked up about 5 more =).

Still need a Monsters Inc though, any idea how long this sale is going on?

19. Rob TT

Rob TT Stunt Coordinator

my blockbuster told me the sale ends 1-27-03

20. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Sorta OT with the original discussion, but have any of you had any problems with bad discs from these sales? I think I've picked upmaybe 7-8 discs in the last few months, and probably haven't watched 25% of them. I know they give you 30 days for a warranty, but it just scares me to think they are scratched beyond repair, something that I might not notice for a while.

Aaron