What's new

30% Off 1 item at Borders (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Arnie! That is one awesome coupon!

Wonder why Borders is running these 20 - 25 - 30% coupons so frequently now?!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Even with the coupons, most books are cheaper (and more convenient!) to buy from Amazon. That's my guess. :)

I usually take advantage of these coupons to pick up a reference-type book, just for the fun of hanging out in Borders and browsing (their one advantage over Amazon).

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

It probably also helps to get people into the store. You come in for one thing but see two and you get both. If you hadn't come in because of the coupon, they wouldn't have sold either item.

Or you could be a cheap skate like me and when you see another thing, print out the coupon again and come back later. :)

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
I've never had them try to take the discount off of the list price. For me they have always discounted the price they are actually selling the item for.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Wow, consider yourself lucky! I thought the computerized system automatically recognized that the coupon rates were for the regular price of the item. I've never been able to pull off a discount on a sale price. Not to mention the coupons can't be used with other offers, like the time that I had a 20% off your entire purchase, which couldn't be combined with a buy 3 get 1 free on CDs. Damn.

Incidentally, has anyone noticed Borders stores offer a discount of 20% for business purchases? I'm sure some of us can find ways to utilize that. I was considering signing up for when I need a reference book for something I'm working on.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
"Regular Price" is not necessarily the same thing as MSRP. It's just the normal price at that store.

Combining a coupon with another special deal (like "buy 3 get 1 free") is another story.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Their regular price for most CDs is the list price, or very close to it. The savings are marginal for a CD purchase at Borders. Some of their DVDs carry a regular price that is near Best Buy, but you have to do some research to find those.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Broders recently raised the price of Warner titles back to full list price.
for the last 4 or 5 yrs, 19.95 Warner titles were discounted to $14.95

if it weren't for these coupons, i wouldn't pick up any dvds at Borders

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
I was frustrated using a 25% off coupon early this month. Their regular DVD prices are so high that even that much off is still higher than most online prices. I ended up getting a Sting SACD for a couple dollars' savings instead.

Not to knock the coupons altogether - I much appreciate your posting the link, Arnie G, if only for the experience of hopeful browsing!

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
I find it harder & harder to get a good deal since they are selling $20 DVDs at list price.:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks