30" HDMI TV as monitor for computer with DVI out

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Robert Burkes, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Robert Burkes

Robert Burkes Second Unit

Hi! I posted this question earlier in the Display Devices forum, but I think it may be better suited here. I'm sorry if reposting is against the rules. How is the quality of connecting a DVI output to HDMI input? I have an Apple PowerBook, and I'm looking into getting the Sanyo HT30744 30" TV for my dorm room. I thought this would be a nice way to have a larger monitor, if the quality will be good enough. I don't need anything too big, and I've read good things about this set. What do you all think? Thanks for any help!

Rob

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

It seems the HT30744 is a direct-view CRT set. Typically, "HDTV" sets don't have very good resolution. I'd guess, based on my experience of attaching my PC to my (older) Toshiba CRT RPTV, that you will get blurry images. Particularly text will be fuzzy and indistinct. However, you may get a somewhat sharp image at 525p.

Although, the specs claim 720p...hmmm. Is there any way you can take your powerbook to the dealer and hook it up to the DVI port of the TV? It's the only way to be sure.