30-32" widescreen HDTV monitor suggestion

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jonathan Wang, Dec 17, 2003.

1. Jonathan Wang

Jonathan Wang Auditioning

New to this forum. And I am looking for some help from the resident experts here.
    I am considering buying a 30-32" CRT 16:9 HDTV ready set. This is to replace a 32" Sony analog set is dying. The size does matter. This is because of the small living room and the spouse' insistence. So 32" maybe 34" is the maximum. After looking at other display technologies, for the price and performance I figure a CRT tube is the best option for now. As far as I know there isn't that many small plasma screen and LCD at 30" size cost too much. I am looking to spend $1000 give or take couple hundred. Another condition I set is to have a 16x9 widescreen HDTV ready so that I am at least ahead of the current technology trend. Then in couple of years when LCD panels are cheap enough I will replace the CRT with a LCD set.
    I have couple of makes and model for people's input.
    Toshiba 30HF83
    Samsung TXN3075WHF
    Philips 30PW850H or 30PW862H

I am kinda leaning toward the Toshiba because of the cabin design, the speaker is placed under the tube thus the whole cabin is narrower than other sets. This is somewhat important factor because the set is going in a corner and every inch of room counts. Also I have seen both the Samsung and Philips set in real life. The Samsung has grey color bars on the side when viewing 4:3 material that's too distracting. The Philips can't seem to keep the image line straight when viewing 4:3 format. I haven't got a chance to see the Toshiba in real life. Anyone have experience please share with me. I am also open to any other suggestions.
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Jonathan

2. JamesClif

JamesClif Extra

Check out the JVC-AV-34WP84 direct view. Awesome PQ! 36 inches wide and priced around $1500 give or take a few hundred depending on where you get it.

3. Jeremy Scott

Jeremy Scott Second Unit

the 32"- 34" widescreen tvs will give you a smaller 4:3 screen then your existing 32" tv.....just something to think about.

but i would def go with a 16:9 set too........the toshiba looks nice....i wonder if these 16:9 sets can stretch a 4:3 image to fill the whole screen??

4. RickLe

RickLe Stunt Coordinator

Yes Jeremy they can. The two best in stretch are the Panasonics and the Toshiba's. The newer Sony 910 does better than the 510 but I think the Panny "Just" mode or Toshiba W1 mode is the best.