30" 16:9 tube vs. 47" 16:9 RPTV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Kenneth Harden, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

May 13, 2002
    My room is small (13' X 13'6) and I sit in the middle. My 27" JVC TV is OK, but it is small and I would like to go bigger.

I could do one of two things for $1000:

-30" 16:9 tube TV, like a $900 Samsung or the like
    -47" 16:9 Panasonic RPTV for $1050

Both are HD. I am sure the picture quality of the tube blows away the RPTV, but the jump from a 30 to 47-inch unit is huge.

What do you think?

Or, what about a non-HD (probably the best for a poor 18 year old college kid like me) 36" 4:3 tube for $600, $700?

I think the last option is probably the one I need to really consider.
  2. John S

John S Producer

Nov 4, 2003
    A 30" 16:9 will result in a downgrade in size on 4:3 material from your 27". Just something to think about.

You may want to search harder too, I think you can do better than that pricing. I am not the biggest fan of Panasonic HD RPTVs in general either. But that is totally subjective from person to person.
  3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Mar 16, 2000
    Michael Chen

Panny RPTV's have rep for great value and great performance when properly set up. Like every other set out there ... it has its own set of problems.

Blow away is hardly a proper way to describe things when the RPTV is properly set up. The RP will display more detail than the 30" samsung unit when fed a good source.