What's new

3 word reviews - my weekend Xbox rentals. (1 Viewer)

Dan B

Screenwriter
Burnout - "Generic arcade racer"
Spy Hunter - "It's too dark"
Sigh. I wasn't expecting much from Burnout, and that's what it delivered...not much. A nice looking, but generic arcade racer. High point is probably the large amount of traffic.
Spy Hunter. This game seems like it would be fun...perhaps the PS2 version is. I read in the IGN Insider head-to-head comparison of the PS2, GC, & Xbox versions that the Xbox version had a very dark look. Well, I didn't anticipate it would be as dark as it is. The Xbox port is soo dark, that I can't particularly see what the hell I'm doing half the time. It's too bad, because it does seem like a cool game. I'll never know unless I get a PS2.
Bah.
-Dan
"the Cranky Gamer"

James Zos

Supporting Actor
I've read online reviews that say there was a problem with the Gamecube port as well.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I had an insane amount of fun with Burnout. Cruising around a blind turn and narrowly swerving out of the way of an oncoming semi was too fun... My favorite thing to do is to force an opponent into oncoming traffic. I'll never get tired of that! :D
Plus, huuuuuuge power slides and spot-on control. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
-Dave

Travis Kolesar

Second Unit
Rented Hunter and 007 - Agent Under Fire for the weekend.

Hunter has been a blast, especially playing with a couple of friends. Kinda like a cooler Gauntlet with undead.

Had high hopes for 007, but I'd rather go back and play Golden Eye on the N64 than spend any more time with Agent Under Fire. The pacing of the game is really slow (you can pretty much watch bullets going to their targets) and it really encouragews you to fight instead of be stealthy. Just happy I didn't buy it.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Travis, I was looking to rent Hunter, along with Moto GP, but they weren't in stock. I have heard good things about Hunter & I like the Moto GP demo on the latest Official Xbox Magazine.

Dave, I can see how people will like Burnout. I just didn't find the handling physics or overall gameplay to my liking. (my tastes lean toward simulation, but I like any game that feels right to me...this one didn't)

-Dan

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I've had my X-Box for 2 weeks now (since I bought my 16:9 widescreen RPTV), and I already own 9 games (because I went on a binge). Here are my quick reviews:

Halo - Da shiznit! 'Nuff said!
Spider-Man - Fun with motion sickness!
Burnout - Killer, but wish it had user soundtrack option.
Azurik - Too slow, but purty and widescreen.
Hunter - Awesome! Way too much fun!
Madden 2002 - Football in widescreen? Need you ask?
Cel Damage - Worth $19, but... kinda' boring.
Jedi Starfighter - Fast, beautiful, but lacking on the surround sound.
DOA3 (w/booster pack) - Great in widescreen. Wish it had user soundtrack option.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
That explains it, Dan! I like my racers more arcadey than simulation. =)

-Dave (patiently waiting for Morrowind)

Joe michaels

Second Unit
I rented both version of Spyhunter and to be honest, I never noticed a brightness difference. I will say I was dissapointed with the game overall. I guess I was one of the few that didn't care for it. You are given so many objectives and if you fail you have to repeat the levels over and over, tht was my first gripe and my second was that I didn't think the graphics were all that great either.
What can I say except GTA3 came out around the same time and kinda ruined my expectations for all future games. :D

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Dan - You might want to rent Spidey first. The camera is horrible, which makes the game incredibly frusrating. It's pretty though, and the first few levels are really fun.

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks