3 weeks to go! No early Forrest Gump reviews?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tu Dang, Aug 7, 2001.

1. Tu Dang

Tu Dang Auditioning

Hey! With only 3 weeks to go and so far no early Forrest Gump reviews? I've been waiting for this movie a long time. Come on obi! Give us the goods!
    Or has Paramount not released anything yet?
    -T.D.

2. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

About the earliest Paramount sends out review screeners is two weeks before street date, but more often one week before. I expect someone will get one early from a wholesaler before review copies go out.
    No matter. Does anyone seriously think Paramount will screw this one up?

3. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

In addition, Paramount expressly forbids us to run articles more than a week and a half prior to street. A certain site that will remain nameless did this for a while and they were strongly taken to task. While I'd like to see the titles go up a little earlier than that, as someone who works on a smaller site, I like the decision; it helps level the playing field for all of us, whereas some studios definitely favor the big boys...
    Anyway, look for Gump reviews around the 18th at the earliest, give or take a day...
    ------------------
    Colin Jacobson
    DVD Movie Guide
    www.dvdmg.com

4. DanR

DanR Supporting Actor

5. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

6. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

BRAVEHEART?

7. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit

8. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

Braveheart? Are you saying that it was screwed up?
    My copy looks and sounds great!
    I think its smart on Paramount's part to have sites withhold reviews until a week or so before release dates.
    Many DVDs get reviewed months in advance, so when they are released, the review doesn't mean as much. Lets build up that hype [​IMG]
    I wouldn't touch a preorder on this release. If you don't think Best Buy and Circuit City aren't going to have this for ~$16 on release day, you are living on another planet.
    My only question (and I don't even like the film) is, "I wonder if Zemeckis allowed chapter stops?".
    Doug

9. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

You all know that DVDs are "like a box of Chocolates..you never know what youre gonna get."
    [​IMG]

10. Gabriel Martin

Gabriel Martin Auditioning

11. Ricky f

Ricky f Supporting Actor

12. Michael Ballack

Michael Ballack Second Unit

I can't wait for this baby. I've had this baby on pre-order for months. This was one of my holy grail dvd's that I've been waiting for. In my opinion the movie is One of the Top Ten if not Top Five movies of all time.
    I'm sure Paramount won't disappoint on the audio and video. Say what you will about Paramount's Pricing and sometimes lack of extras, but you can usually count on them having a great presentation. And with Forrest and Godfather, I think Paramount has a bright future with Special Editons. [​IMG] "That's all I have to say about that."
    ------------------
    Michael's DVD's

13. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

14. Mark Basile

Mark Basile Stunt Coordinator

One of the best things that Paramount did was to release the cover artwork for the movie. It lets us know the exact specs for it, which all of us need to make an informed purchasing decision. I wish all the studios would release the front and back cover artwork two months in advance.
    What I never understood is why studios sometimes wait until the last minute to release specs such as if the movie is even widescreen, or if it has 2.0 or 5.1 or DTS sound. What's the big secret? I mean special features can change on a whim, but if a movie is going to be widescreen then that is a decision one makes when planning a release. The Forrest Gump release demonstrates the best way to do things, and the handling of the Willy Wonka release is the worst way.
    I just wish the studios could be more upfront about critical transfer-related information.

15. Doug Schiller

Doug Schiller Supporting Actor

16. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Ok so a package was in my mailbox this morning and it wasn't no box of chocolates, something far less fatening and much more satisfying.
    mini review:
    First thing I've got to say is the overal presentation on the Forrest Gump DVD is REALLY top notch. I was happy to see it come in a nice strong 2 disc chunky alpha case, adopting a fitting white colour no less in tone with the cover art.
    I've still got lots to cover but I've given the movie the once over. On my 32 inch 16x9 the transfer seemed strong, the Paramount logo and feather sequence at the start seemed to show off a slight flicker in the film print which was a little distracting, but it quickly clears. I thought image detail in some establishing shots left a fair bit to be desired, there are a few shots from a far of Forrest talking to people on the bench, the transfer didn't seem so strong during such instances. As we get closer, the image detail opens up and it really does start to look pretty darn nice.
    Sound wise I'm running a TAG Mclaren AV32R Processor powered by a Rotel power amp. The 5.1 was decent, little going on in the rears, but very strong up front, especially in the mains which exhibited excellent seperation on both Alan Silvestri's score and the epic selection of songs that form the soundtrack. Worth noting, Paramount have again gone with dropping an English 2.0 track...
    A little bit more on the presentation then, the menus are perfect. Subtle animation, scored with music and incredibly easy to navigate. These are my kind of menus, simple, elegant and still impressive. The pictures printed onto the disc themselves are great, especially disc 2's.
    Extras wise I've got nearly everything to go over. I've not even touched the commentaries yet, and have only skimmed disc 2. I'm drawn to saying a number of the extras on disc 2 are brand new for the DVD? No idea if anyone can correct me on this, but the production design featurette and all the special effects bits seem very recent. Having gone over what I have of the supplements disc, the true gem of the supplmenets has to be the screen tests, these are a fairly rare addition on DVDs, so great to see them, for this movie especially.
    I'll check back when I've got more to add about the extras, but this is going to make people happy. Paramount: More like this please!
    Dan (UK)

17. Jay W

Jay W Supporting Actor

Excellent (mini) review Dan, looks like Paramount did good on this release and hopefully paves the way for future SEs.
    ------------------
    Home Theater
    DVD Collection

18. Tom Ryan

Tom Ryan Screenwriter

Excuse me sir, commentarieS? As in more than one? I thought there was only the Zemeckis one. Are there more? Do tell [​IMG].
    -Tom

19. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

Thanks for the mini-review. Is there an isolated soundtrack on this DVD? Now we are less than 2 weeks away from its release.

20. Martin Blythe

Martin Blythe Second Unit

Yes there is a second commentary by producer Wendy Finerman - it was a late drop-in.