What's new

3-Way vs 2-Way Speaker System. (1 Viewer)

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
Hello All,

I am building my HT. I am looking at buying HK7200 for my reciever. I am also thinking of going only for a stereo system right now with the two fronts. Maybe over a years period, I might slowly build the the center channel, RL, RR and subwoofer.

If I go for a 3 way floor standing for my mains now, would it become waste (or redundant) when I buy my subwoofer may be a year from now?

In that case would it make sense to go for a 2 way speaker. If I go with 2 way speaker, would I loose a lot in the bass because there are no low range dedicated drivers?

How are Yamaha NS555 considered?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I think that building up a system is a sound methodology Kumar.

If it were me, I’d not place such emphasis on 2-way vs. 3-way speakers, especially considering that you are planning on winding up with a sub.

There are in fact plenty of 2-way speakers that are flat to 40 Hz–50 Hz or so. Or lower, if you want to spend the money.

Concentrate on your end goal and the path to get to that goal. I would not worry about making sure that each step provides the best sound (just for that step). That is, since you plan on a subwoofer in the end, main speakers that are flat to 40 or 50 Hz will work very well for HT. If you spend the same amount of money on speakers that are not full range as you would for ones that are full range, almost for sure your overall sound reproduction will be somewhat compromised.

For example instead of the NS555 speakers you could get a pair of Ascend 170s or Rocket 150s. And for less money. And for just a bit more you could get the Ascend 240s or Rocket 250s. All of these that I mention will benefit from a subwoofer, but they will all provide very good music and satisfactory HT reproduction for a year or so.

You can now determine if you want your next purchase to be a center channel or a sub. This will depend on how you feel about the lower bass as opposed to filling in the center. Either way you can go the other way next. And then finally the surrouinds.

Now you will be a happy camper.

BTW, I am pretty sure that AV123 will give you a package price on the Rockets even when you order the package over time. I don’t know about Ascend, but it is certainly possible. Call those guys and see what they will do and what they advise. They are all very helpful and knowledgeable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks