What's new

3 TV's right next to each other, remote problems (1 Viewer)

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I have a problem that came up at work. Since I am the electronics expert around the office, I have to solve this problem. Hopefully you all can help.

I have someone who wants 3 TV right next to each other. He will probably get identical TV's. When he uses 1 remote, won't it change all 3 TV's at the same time? Do you know of any remotes that will control multiple devices (Like TV1, TV2, TV3) that can be used to control multiple TVs without interfering with each other?

Thanks for the help.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've read about someone doing this using the Ocelot, the zone IR module and some custom programming. Get a universal remote control and program it with three different televisions. Program the Ocelot to send brand X remote signals to zone 1 (IR emitter taped over the TV's IR sensor) whenever it receives a brand A signal. Program the Ocelot to send brand X remote signals to zone 2 whenever it receives a brand B signal. Keep repeating until you run out of TV's.
I've never used one but this is what I remember reading.
-Robert

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Brian- I would think that having 3 identical TVs would definitely cause a problem with all of them accepting the same remote signal. Having 3 different televisions should prevent that problem, unless the remotes use the same code.

I won't even ask why somebody would want 3 televisions right next to each other. Good luck!

Steve K.

Adam O

Stunt Coordinator
"I won't even ask why somebody would want 3 televisions right next to each other. Good luck!"

I will,

Adam

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
>>> why somebody would want 3 televisions right next to each other...
1. Expanding on the idea of PIP.
2. Not the best shot but see the topmost illustration in:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/whatis2.htm
If the televisions all use the same remote codes, the only way to control them separately is to put blinders (mattes or a thin tube extending out from the TV front panel) on the remote sensors and also on the front tip of the remote control unit so aiming the remote from the sofa will hit only the desired set. Due to room reflection of the remote control signal, this method can be very touchy and sensitive to get right.
A very small number of TV sets come with a choice of "remote control frequencies" specifically to address the problem of this thread. Don't know the make and model but I am quite sure there are only two selections so only two side by side sets of the same kind can be controlled independently.
When buying a different model of TV to sit alongside another TV, bring the remote(s) of the TV(s) you already have to the store to make sure they don't affect the new set you are about to buy. If there is no interference here, chances are the new set's remote won't affect the sets you already have.

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the replies. I will try to find a TV like Allan recommended. Adam, The only reason I got was that he wanted to watch 3 channels at the same time. Maybe for newscasts or sports? I don't know, I am just trying to help.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I would think the best way to do it would be to get 3 different brands of tv's & a universal remote control. If I was going to do this I would buy a 14 inch flat tube Sony, a 14 inch flat tube Samsung & a 14 inch flat tube Toshiba. That way we at the forum could also get some test results back on the tv's ;) If he was going to use a bigger tube than I would say go with a 27 inch with P-I-P & another 13 or 14 inch tube that way when he saw the story he wanted to watch he could change the channel on the 27 inch to get the big picture :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks