3" to 6" shielded full-range drivers under $25 for satellites?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Robin D, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Robin D

Robin D Auditioning

If you have any other ideas for drivers, please do tell! But I think if I'm going to go the single-driver route, then I'll either go with either this one, or this one. Wich one would you go with? The things that lead me to these drivers were the frequency response(below 100hz and above 12k), at least 40w RMS, and their low cost. The most human ears can only hear up to like 12k anyway, and most CDs don't contain any frequencies above 15k, so a single driver satellite that went up to 15k wouldn't be too bad a thing, right? If a two-way satellite is a must have, any ideas on cheap x-overs?

2. Brian Knauss

Brian Knauss Stunt Coordinator

There's a couple "full range" drivers for about a buck in PE's Pioneer buyout. I believe the 4"ers go from 100-15kHz

3. Robin D

Robin D Auditioning

Thanks! What do you think about using 9 of these per channel. I could get 8 ohms out of them, and I could bring the SPL and power handling up to an acceptable level by going with 9. Are there any drawbacks I should be aware of?

4. Brian Knauss

People seem to have good results with line arrays, so go for it.

I'm thinking of building a couple MMTMMs for fronts and a center with the 4"ers and cheap Goldwood tweets. Nothing fabulous, but it'll beat what I've got already and will cost hardly anything.

5. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Or, if you want Bose Killers with high SAF, use the 3" Tangband drivers that Parts Express sells. They will match up well with the power output of your reciever.

6. Andrew S

Andrew S Stunt Coordinator

What about the AV3 from Adire? I have no personal experience with them and I've only heard them mentioned here once, so does anyone have an opinion on them?
    Andrew

7. Brian Foley

Brian Foley Agent

Robin,

There are some special considerations to be aware of when putting together line arrays. I suggest you read the white paper linked to on this page:

http://www.madisound.com/cgi-bin/dis...gi?read=231158

and look for other messages on that same board pertaining to line arrays.

8. Robin D

Robin D Auditioning

By the time I get home from work, I'm too tired to think hard enough to understand what all they're talking about! Pretty much all I understood was that I need to make sure my drivers are as close to each other as possible, and that it would be great if I could limit the power of the outer(upper and lower) speakers.

Should I perhaps put a divider in the middle of the box to avoid "pipe resonance?" Or would it not even matter?

Also, I need to get the wiring figured out. Is the picture below showing the correct way to hook it up?

[​IMG]

9. Brian Knauss

If you're looking to have an 8 ohm impedance, that's the right wiring.

10. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

The downside to using those drivers by themselves in a line array is that you will start to experience comb filtering at the frequency who's wavelength corresponds with the center to center distance of the drivers. In this case, if you butted them up to each other, they'd be about 4" apart on center. That means that comb filtering would start at around 3.4KHz.

11. Robin D

Robin D Auditioning

Well, I guess building a line array isn't the best course of action. I think I will build single-driver satellites to maintain simplicity.

After looking around, it looks like either this or this. The MCM driver looks like it would be better for music with that 45hz low end. But then that tang band could be put in a box 1/4th the size...

What do y'all think?

12. Robin D

Robin D Auditioning

bump?

13. Joel X

Joel X Stunt Coordinator