1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

3" Tang Band full-range driver speaker idea:

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Kenneth Harden, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Check these little guys out:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=264-814

I was playing around with a degin where you would have 4 of these drivers in each of the front speakers (ultra-low profile) and WinISD says I can get decent bass below 120 Hz. (closer to 100 Hz. it looks like) The cabinet would be less than 5" tall, 13" wide, and about 8-10" deep.

While I will not do this project (paper project :) ) - the onlt 'wild card' would be if the frequency responce and overall tone would work - as in, with full-range drivers, will the SPL be farily even across the audio spectrum?

Just playing around and seeing what you think. It seems 4 potent full-range drivers in a small box could make a great little system if you didn't have room for bigger stuff.

2. Jasen Chandler

Jasen Chandler Stunt Coordinator

I would love to build something like this for my HT. I'm interested to see what others think.

3. Kenneth Harden

What really interests me is the fact dialouge would be very clear (no 'split' with the drivers) and because all the drivers would be the same, there would be a lot of cone area available for all frequencies.

Just an idea. Very Boseish, but it looks like it would be a lot better.

4. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Go for it since the cost will be very low. Brian Bunge and I have gone through 3 TB 3" full-range drivers in designing our small speakers (he sells his under the name RAD Micros, mine are the Bozebusters). Very good sound for the money. Try your idea and YOU be the judge of the sound quality.

5. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

I am also considering a home theater kit (if you will) but I was planning on using the 4" version. Mabye one or two per speaker. It won't be for me but for my buddy in an apartment. He still needs a receiver though.

Kenneth, have you tried modeling the drivers in a vented box? You might be able to squeeze more extension out of them. Or not. I haven't had much experience with the 3" models. But with the 4" ones I could get flat to 80 or 90hz. Albeit a slightly bigger cab. Anyway.

Good luck.

6. Kenneth Harden

Hank:

Great info!

Which 3" driver did you use (there are a few and they all look the same!!!)? What general cabinet design did you go for?

Thanks!

7. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Kenneth, just look at the impedence curves for each 3" TB driver you can buy. Pick the smoothest curve. Inexpensive drivers don't normally have smooth impedence curves - those little hickies on an impedance plot signify cone mode problems. Anyway, pick the smoothest curve and then plug its parameters into your WinIsd. Brian and I have had a particular size enclosure for our design (ported), but I recently built a couple for a customer with enlarged cabinets. Take the volume suggested by WinIsd and come up with your own enclosure shape esthetics. Our current TB driver is the W3-871S.

8. Kenneth Harden

Thanks for the info!

I might go for it, just for fun.