3 Stooges Collection Vol. 7 - 1952-1954, November 10

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Robert, that post has little information coming from someone new to their forum (it also has no replies). Your translation isn't accurate either. Mike from Sony recently posted here saying what Scott recalls: that the final films need more work. I'd go with that scenario.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Thanks Matt! ~phew~ I'm not really in touch with who is "in-the-know" so I'm glad you said that. I had no idea that someone from Sony actually posted that. I thought most people on this board were just going by rumors. The way that person posted on the Stooge forum, it seemed official. Anyhow, thanks for clearing it up. I'm looking forward to the final volume when it becomes available. :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
^^^

I too can't wait for another volume. I'm really enjoying volume seven these days. I actually waited longer than usual to pick this one up. I was quite pleased to see it in Walmart the other day.

Let's get those Bessers moving! :)

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Discussion has been very active about this at the Stooge forum. Sony must know that fans are willing to buy the final volume. This has been a very popular series for them. So I'm quite happy to know that they are, in fact, going to complete this collection. Hopefully, it will be in 2010.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
You guys should stop listening to rumors. We are very
fortunate to have Sony people reading this forum and
when possible we are going to keep you updated with
accurate information.

Our reliable Sony source says look for the final volume
about mid-2010.

That's not rumor.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Thanks Ron. I think most of us recognized this as typical internet angst but a little rumor squashing is always welcome. Nature certainly does abhor a vacuum and it would appear that extends to information sites as well.

Matthew H

Second Unit
Eh, I'm a regular at the Stooges Forum.. some new guy posted what he saw as "fact" from some Wikipedia article so naturally nobody bought it.

I'm glad the final Volume is coming but I am itching to know what Sony's plans are for the Shemp, Besser, and DeRita solos which were at one point planned to be included on the later sets.

PJMTV

Grip
Real Name
Paul
If you have not heard the news this morning, SONY Home Video is hurting from the $16.4 BILLION drop in DVD sales. The increase of $1.5 BILLION in Blu-ray sales & the $2.1 BILLION from Video On-Demand is not enough to make up for this.

Sony is pushing back some current blockbuster releases to a 2012 DVD release date (no word yet on the Three Stooges Volume 8 release date). More decisions will be made by the first week of March.

Oh, and 450 employees are going to be laid off at SONY PICTURES because of this.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
I'm not terribly concerned about this. Thankfully, these Stooges releases were performing above expectations from all accounts. No reason to believe that the final volume won't be out, particularly when that will allow Sony to do a repackaging and market the complete set.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
With one last set to go, I'm apprehensive but not too concerned. I am concerned, however, about their general catalog momentum at retail.

Gary OS

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJMTV

If you have not heard the news this morning, SONY Home Video is hurting from the $16.4 BILLION drop in DVD sales. The increase of $1.5 BILLION in Blu-ray sales & the $2.1 BILLION from Video On-Demand is not enough to make up for this.

Sony is pushing back some current blockbuster releases to a 2012 DVD release date (no word yet on the Three Stooges Volume 8 release date). More decisions will be made by the first week of March.

Oh, and 450 employees are going to be laid off at SONY PICTURES because of this.
Wait a minute. I keep being told the sdvd industry is doing fine and I'm just being the proverbial "chicken little" when I say I'm a bit concerned about older film and TV on dvd slowing down. Are you telling me there really is a problem? LOL

In all seriousness, I think I have to agree with Scott on this one. The Stooge volumes have sold pretty good so I doubt they'll shelve the last volume. I've got to believe Ron on this one that #8 will be out soon enough.

Gary "I've got all 7 volumes up to this point" O.

PJMTV

Grip
Real Name
Paul
Originally Posted by Gary OS

Quote:

Wait a minute. I keep being told the sdvd industry is doing fine and I'm just being the proverbial "chicken little" when I say I'm a bit concerned about older film and TV on dvd slowing down. Are you telling me there really is a problem? LOL
DVD sales are so bad that I was told this weekend of Best Buys plans to drop DVD stock from their retail stores by 2012. Limited supplies of Blu-ray will stay on the shelves.

Hulu, NBC.com & other download sites have killed the 'TV on DVD' market, by now many retail stores have reduced their stock on these titles. I believe collectors sets will stay around, as collectors are the ones who seriously buy. We are going back 20 years to where there were a few Laserdisc stores catering to the serious collector, but this time it may be on-line only.

The poor economy has escelated the trend to download for free. However, we still get complaints when a title goes off the download list. Consumers expect us to keep the files available at all times & that is just not possible at this time. Server space is valuable, I tell them to go out & buy the DVD if they want to be able to watch it over & over at later dates.

Studios have been relying on the revenue of DVD sales to finance the production of new movies. Now the studios must cut back & find another way to generate revenue for future productions.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Well, it's certainly news to read that a major chain retailer has an expiration date for SD and it's not that far away. I'm surprised I haven't read about this elsewhere.

PJMTV

Grip
Real Name
Paul
Originally Posted by mdnitoil

Well, it's certainly news to read that a major chain retailer has an expiration date for SD and it's not that far away. I'm surprised I haven't read about this elsewhere.
I doubt there will be any announcement from Best Buy, DVDs will just fade away from their shelves. It would not be in Best Buy's interest to make any announcement. Should the economy turn around and DVD sales start going up, they can just start stocking the shelves again.

I have also noticed that Borders Stores are now listing many new DVD titles as "on line only". Representatives there have confirmed that last years reduction in DVD store stock could continue this year.

The Barnes and Noble stores that do carry video & audio (some are book-only) plan to keep new DVD titles on their store shelves at this time.

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by mdnitoil

That's because there is no real expiration date. As long as DVDs continue to sell, they're going to be carried by stores. Maybe BB projects that by 2012, DVDs won't be worth the shelf space but if they continue to sell, they aren't going to pass up making money.

Gary OS

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR

That's because there is no real expiration date. As long as DVDs continue to sell, they're going to be carried by stores. Maybe BB projects that by 2012, DVDs won't be worth the shelf space but if they continue to sell, they aren't going to pass up making money.
Sure. But the point here is that they don't seem to be selling as well, thus the potential phase out down the road.

Gary "heck, we've already seen the reduction of shelf space in many B&M stores when it comes to SDVD, so this won't shock me in the least if it ends up happening" O.

Joe Karlosi

Producer
Senior HTF Member

That's because there is no real expiration date. As long as DVDs continue to sell, they're going to be carried by stores.
How about if they aren't on store shelves, they can't sell in stores? Yesterday I went to Bust Buy with $75 in Christmas gift cards. I went when the store opened at 10am and when I got out and into my car it was 11:15. I literally spent over an hour TRYING to find SOMETHING, ANYTHING to spend these gift cards on. But they didn't stock the titles I wanted, some of the ones I figured I'd just grab off the shelves.

DeWilson

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

You should check out their website. They should have almost anything that's in print.

Yeh,and you can check the webiste for STORE AVAILABLITY on any/all products!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granite11