What's new

3 Stooges Collection Vol. 7 - 1952-1954, November 10 (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'm of the opinion that we're fortunate to have the two shorts in 3-D at all for this DVD set. I haven't watched both shorts in their entirety yet but I have switched around to selected sequences which really show off the effect. I'm satisfied personally; I have never seen 3-D on DVD (or TV) look "outstanding" anyway.

moglia

Auditioning
Real Name
moglia
Sony is taking our money. Why would we fortunate for that??? In actuality it is the exact opposite!
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi

I'm of the opinion that we're fortunate to have the two shorts in 3-D at all for this DVD set.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by moglia

Sony is taking our money. Why would we fortunate for that??? In actuality it is the exact opposite!
Yeah, Sony is taking our money --- and I'm happy to give it to them. Sony has done an OUTSTANDING job with this entire Three Stooges Chronological Series. They could have just issued SPOOKS and PARDON MY BACKFIRE in flat, non-3D... and then people would be moaning about that instead! We're also very fortunate that they even bothered presenting some of these latter shorts in their proper OAR (okay, so GOOF ON THE ROOF was one mistake; it should have been in 1.37).

But what do you expect for your money? You've got these two shorts issued on the DVD - Twice. One time flat, the other 3-D. As far as I'm concerned, Sony gave us MORE for our money this time around.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member

I'm of the opinion that we're fortunate to have the two shorts in 3-D at all for this DVD set. I haven't watched both shorts in their entirety yet but I have switched around to selected sequences which really show off the effect. I'm satisfied personally; I have never seen 3-D on DVD (or TV) look "outstanding" anyway.

I pretty much agree. The 3-D shorts are cool for their novelty value. And the 3-D effects look pretty darn cool on my 84" screen. And they are also available on the set in nice, film print quality flat transfers. I'm pretty satisfied.

The noise in the 3D looks intentional. If you look closely, there are little crisscross shapes around the red and green edges. The little boxes have that particular color along with black. It looks terrible.

moglia

Auditioning
Real Name
moglia
My point is, they are taking yours/our money. They are the ones who should be fortunate for that, certainly not us. I've never understood the mentality of thanking a huge corporation for accepting ones money. Makes no sense whatsoever, especially in these bad times!

Finally Sony is doing this strictly for profit, pure and simple there nothing altruistic, I repeat nothing altruistic regarding these Stooges DVD sets that my friend is the bottom-line, which of course is all they care about!

Yeah, Sony is taking our money --- and I'm happy to give it to them.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
They listened to the fans and gave them what they wanted. Of course they're interested in making a profit, too -- that's called business.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Robert13

Has anyone noticed that in the opening for "Spooks!" you can actually see the black clothes the Stooges are wearing as Larry runs up to the camera. You never saw that when it was on television. I think that was the point. It wasn't meant to be seen. It's funny to see all of these effects clearly on dvd right down to how they created the effects. I guess you could adjust the contrast on your set if you wanted to mask the methods for the effects.

Yeah, I had to lower the Brightness a little bit on my TV to get the right floating heads effect on that one.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by moglia

My point is, they are taking yours/our money. They are the ones who should be fortunate for that, certainly not us. I've never understood the mentality of thanking a huge corporation for accepting ones money. Makes no sense whatsoever, especially in these bad times!

Finally Sony is doing this strictly for profit, pure and simple there nothing altruistic, I repeat nothing altruistic regarding these Stooges DVD sets that my friend is the bottom-line, which of course is all they care about!
In all fairness, he's not saying that you have to like it. He's just saying that he's happy with what he got for his money.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by ahollis

Did that help, hurt or make no difference in the 3D effects?
I haven't tried it yet. Not sure.

Is anyone else already wondering when they will release the final volume? Is it certain that there will be just one more volume? I was trying to figure out how they would lay out all remaining 32 shorts. Plus, do you think Joe will be the main photo on the cover or Shemp? Shemp has had 3 covers now. So I think it would be nice to see Joe get some attention. Can you believe just one more volume (if that's the case) and we finally have the complete shorts on dvd?!?

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Originally Posted by Robert13

I haven't tried it yet. Not sure.

Is anyone else already wondering when they will release the final volume? Is it certain that there will be just one more volume? I was trying to figure out how they would lay out all remaining 32 shorts. Plus, do you think Joe will be the main photo on the cover or Shemp? Shemp has had 3 covers now. So I think it would be nice to see Joe get some attention. Can you believe just one more volume (if that's the case) and we finally have the complete shorts on dvd?!?

Consitering the bulk of the remaining 32 shorts are remakes, I can't see them doing more than one more volume.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by ahollis

Did that help, hurt or make no difference in the 3D effects?

Lowering the brightness made no difference that I could see in the 3D effects. The lower brightness worked fine throughout the short, also.

Regarding the 3D effects, the bulk of the short looked as good as any 3D I've seen on television (although I've yet to view my Coraline Blu-ray). The opening shot, however, didn't work at all on Spooks, that I could see, regardless of brightness settings--it was just a blurry mess. Throughout the rest of the short, it mostly worked. There were a few of the "in your face" gimmicks that failed, and a few that worked. The general 3 dimensional layered look worked fine througout the short also.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The two 3-D shorts looked a lot like an older 4x3 transfer upscaled to 16x9. That would explain why it's interlaced and dot crawl is present. Sony may have not had the opportunity to transfer both in HD and had to settle for that existing master. It can't be a limitation of anaglyph since other 3-D releases have been progressive. Maybe it was originally field sequential?

Despite that, it's great to see such care put into these shorts.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
The 3-D shorts look terrible in these new transfers. Quite honestly, the old 8mm editions released in the 70's had better depth and image cancellation.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I think the 3-D effects look great on this DVD(I had to duck a couple of times while watching them on my projector!), but do agree that the transfers themselves are not good. But the flat versions of both of these shorts look very good. I would like to see the 3-D versions look better, but I'm happy they even bothered to release them in 3-D at all.

Does anyone have links to screenshots from the 3-D shorts as they appeared in Super 8mm? I used to see them advertised in the Captain Company section of FAMOUS MONSTERS, and always wanted them(but they were expensive for an 8 year old kid!).

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
You can still buy the full-length [COLOR= rgb(24, 24, 24)]red/blue anaglyph [/COLOR]3D shorts from Derann Films in England in Super 8 magnetic sound.

PJMTV

Grip
Real Name
Paul
Someone mentioned the Warner Brothers cartoons of the 1950's not being letterboxed on DVD.
If you look at some 35mm prints of these cartoons, you will see that they are "windowboxed". This was done for theaters that would have masked the top & bottom for a wide-screen look. It allowed the picture to remain its intended 1:33-1 Acadamy ratio by putting black bars on the left & right sides.
Disney also did this with their cartoons up to "101 DALMATIONS".
So the Looney Tunes DVDs are presenting the cartoons in their proper screen ratio.

PJMTV

Grip
Real Name
Paul
Re: volume 8 changes.

Yes, in 2008 Sony's plan was for 9 volumes, volume 8 would have been Shemp as a Stooge & a solo artist. Volume 9 would been Joe Besser as a Stooge & a solo artist.

Fears of poor sales for the Joe shorts combined with the economy crash caused a combination of volumes 8 & 9, dropping the solo shorts. But this also kept these volumes as pure 3 Stooges. The solo shorts are a "wait & see" situation.

As late as this summer it was planned to have all 3 Stooges shorts out on DVD by the end of the year, which is the 75th anniversary year of the 3 Stooges signing with Columbia. Needless to say, there has been a delay in street dates. I can not go into more detail at this time, as I write this things are still in flux, but the final set is on the books for a release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks