What's new

3 Stooges Collection Vol. 7 - 1952-1954, November 10 (1 Viewer)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I agree (glasses). It's a guess but I'm thinking that home 3D won't get a major penetration into the mkt until the technology arrives to view without glasses.

The other factor, to me, is buying new 3D equipment (displays). What's the current HDTV mkt penetration in the U.S.? Anyone know that #? I'm guessing it just recently hit the 50% mark due to the steady decline in HD TV prices.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Movies like Avatar work only on the big screen. They'll only work on a 105" screen or larger. The picture must go past your peripheral vision to immerse you into the film. If you've seen Avatar, especially in digital 3-D, you'll know what I mean. I've seen some 3-D on my 65 incher and it doesn't look good.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by John Sparks

Movies like Avatar work only on the big screen. They'll only work on a 105" screen or larger. The picture must go past your peripheral vision to immerse you into the film. If you've seen Avatar, especially in digital 3-D, you'll know what I mean. I've seen some 3-D on my 65 incher and it doesn't look good.

All great points. I am not sure 3D home is going to be a huge as some in the industry feel.

Now back on topic. It seems that the next and final volume is shooting for August. I wish it would be sooner, but if the time means more work on the transfers, then I am all for it.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
For those who asked, this is Sony's current list of DVD titles for release in March:

2012 (Single Disc Version) - DVD
The Bible: Jesus - DVD
The Bible: Esther - DVD
Hachi: A Dog's Tale - DVD
Boondock Saints II, The: All Saints Day - DVD
Planet 51 - DVD
Armored - DVD
Broken Embraces - DVD
Breaking Bad: The Complete Second Season (4 discs) - DVD
Capote/In Cold Blood (Double Feature) - DVD
Anaconda/Anacondas: Hunt for the Blood Orchid (Double Feature, 2 Discs) - DVD
Eight Millimeter/8MM 2 (Double Feature, 2 discs) - DVD
Annie (SE, Anniversary Edition)/Annie: A Royal Adventure (Double Feature, 2 discs) - DVD
Blue Streak/National Security (SE, Double Feature) - DVD
Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland/Thomas and the Magic Railroad (Double Feature, 2 discs) - DVD
Against All Odds (SE)/Big Chill (Double Feature, 2 discs) - DVD
Air Force One/In the Line of Fire (SE) (Double Feature) - DVD
Ali/The Greatest (Double Feature, 2 discs) - DVD
All the Pretty Horses/Cowboy Up (Double Feature, 2 discs) - DVD
Anaconda/Ghosts of Mars (SE) (Double Feature, 2 discs) - DVD
Baby Geniuses/Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2 (Double Feature, 2 discs) - DVD
Belly of the Beast/Half Past Dead (Double Feature, 2 discs) - DVD
Black Dawn/Out for a Kill (Double Feature, 2 discs) - DVD
Black Hawk Down/Sniper 3 (Double Feature) - DVD
Blind Date/My Stepmother Is An Alien Double Feature - DVD
Candyman/Pumpkinhead: Ashes to Ashes (Double Feature, 2 discs) - DVD
Can't Hardly Wait/The New Guy (Double Feature, 2 discs) - DVD
Boogeyman (SE)/The Fog (2005) (Double Feature, 2 discs) - DVD
Hook/Indian in the Cupboard (Double Feature, 2 discs) - DVD (Family Fun Time)
Soccer Dog/Soccer Dog: European Cup (Double Feature, 2 discs) - DVD
Stealth/Blue Thunder (Double Feature, 2 discs) - DVD
Swan Princess/Swan Princess III:Mystery of the Enchanted Treasure (Double Feature, 2 discs) - DVD
Trapped/Panic Room (Double Feature, 2 discs) - DVD

PJMTV

Grip
Real Name
Paul
Originally Posted by ChuckWL

I apologize that I don't understand but who is we? what download list?? Are you talking about a download company???
The "We" is the home video companies, not the Home Theater Forum.
All download sites are taken into consideration on this, none of them keep a title available for an unlimited amount of time. The length the download is kept available depends on the contracts the download site signs.
Titles in the Public Domain are likely to stay available as long as the title is active, if it receives little download requests it could still be removed to free ups erver space for another title. Just like the local libraries work keeping books & videos on their shelves.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Please, back to this thread's topic.
Further derailments will not be allowed

Thanks.

Cees

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Getting back to the topic: I'm starting to get panicky. I wish they'd announce the final volume already.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Joe Lugoff

Getting back to the topic: I'm starting to get panicky. I wish they'd announce the final volume already.
I don't think we're going to hear anything for a while. If it comes out in June, we'd hear an announcement sometime in April or early May. I've given up already on an announcement happening anytime soon. I'll get a copy if I see it on a store shelf later this year. But Sony definitely dropped the ball on this one. It's been a successful run. Why ruin it with a delay?

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Mike S. from Sony posted saying that the last volume needed more extensive remastering and might take longer than the others. No reason to read a perceived delay as intentional.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Robert13

I don't think we're going to hear anything for a while. If it comes out in June, we'd hear an announcement sometime in April or early May. I've given up already on an announcement happening anytime soon. I'll get a copy if I see it on a store shelf later this year. But Sony definitely dropped the ball on this one. It's been a successful run. Why ruin it with a delay?
Several pages back in this forum there was a discussion on when the final volume would come out and why the delay. Mike Schlesinger answered the question with the below statement.

[COLOR= #0000ff]If I may answer: yes, they are. The problem is that since they were never released in any video format, restoration will take longer than usual, so please be patient.

Mike S[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff].[/COLOR]

It appears that the elements for the final group are not in the best of shape. So I have no problem waiting while they bring the shorts up to the excellent standards of the past released volumes.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
That's great if that's really the reason but I don't trust what I read about delays anymore. If anything, the elements for that final group looked better than any of the early ones even when they were on amc and in syndication. I think studios have their own agendas. I'll be surprised if we see this volume come out at all this year.

The same thing happened to "The Lucy Show" with CBS/Paramount. Season 1 sold extremely well and even won an industry award. Yet, they waited almost a year before giving the green light for Season 2. Now, their excuse for further delays is "more remastering needs to be done". Two different studios. But that same sad excuse doesn't fly anymore.
Originally Posted by ahollis

Several pages back in this forum there was a discussion on when the final volume would come out and why the delay. Mike Schlesinger answered the question with the below statement.

[COLOR= #0000ff]If I may answer: yes, they are. The problem is that since they were never released in any video format, restoration will take longer than usual, so please be patient.

Mike S[/COLOR]
[COLOR= #0000ff].[/COLOR]

It appears that the elements for the final group are not in the best of shape. So I have no problem waiting while they bring the shorts up to the excellent standards of the past released volumes.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Robert13

That's great if that's really the reason but I don't trust what I read about delays anymore. If anything, the elements for that final group looked better than any of the early ones even when they were on amc and in syndication. I think studios have their own agendas. I'll be surprised if we see this volume come out at all this year.

The same thing happened to "The Lucy Show" with CBS/Paramount. Season 1 sold extremely well and even won an industry award. Yet, they waited almost a year before giving the green light for Season 2. Now, their excuse for further delays is "more remastering needs to be done". Two different studios. But that same sad excuse doesn't fly anymore.
The one person I trust is Mike Schlesinger. What he has said has all come true in one form or another about Sony releases. He was right on top of the news when some titles were delayed to 2010 and now we are seeing those announcements come to past. If he says the volume is coming but taking time so they do it right, then it is so, after all the shorts have never appeared in any form of home video and they have not been sold to as many outlets as the Curly shorts have.

I must say also that the last released volume was not up to par with the previous one IMO, such as the framing issue on a couple of the shorts and the general quality of some of the lesser know titles.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
the only issue was one misframed short, and in some spots the 3D were very uncompatable, and hope this would be adressed if they go HD later, in line with the 3D blu-ray spec; but all in all this has been a wonderful run on a series, an i thank sony/columbia for doing this right. while the other studios are going away form pressed disc. its nice to know that some items are going to be tr eated as top tier entertainment, if Moe Howard could only go back now and renegotiate that contract, makes you wonder.

serioulsy every other short feature is now being done away with, WB ?? where are the rest of the Popeyes? or it has gone to an overpriced inferior DVD-R MOD, which i have no intres in, if the were pressed dics it would be different. i have time to wait, just give me the oppertunity to rewatch the 7 sets over again.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I am hoping that, once the Stooges sets have all been released, we might finally get HAVE ROCKET WILL TRAVEL. As a separate DVD, so that those of us who already have the other features won't have to buy an expensive set to get one missing movie.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Originally Posted by Dick

I am hoping that, once the Stooges sets have all been released, we might finally get HAVE ROCKET WILL TRAVEL. As a separate DVD, so that those of us who already have the other features won't have to buy an expensive set to get one missing movie.
I want this film too. But I think a Volume 9 with all six Sony features collected in one spot would be a big seller.
And I've said before, the Volume 8 Besser set will actually sell very well.

There are TONS of Three Stooges fans eagerly waiting to finally get a copy of these films. Many haven't been officially released in decades.

PJMTV

Grip
Real Name
Paul
One reason the Stooges shorts look a little different in volume 7 is because starting in 1952, the Hollywood studios switched to filming on Safety Film. Even though Safety Film is much more stable & 'safe' to use, Nitrate stayed around so long because it had a slightly sharper, smoother look. Safety Film had been around for decades, used in non-theatrical 16mm, 9.5mm, & 8mm film formats, but producers felt it did not present as well on the big screen.

So naturally The Three Stooges volume 7 presents shorts originally shot on safety film.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I have both the 2009 3D, and 2013 non 3D pressings of THE THREE STOOGES COLLECTION: VOLUME 7 (1952 - 1954).

My question relates to how the 11 2D titles on the 2nd DVD fare on each of the two pressings:

Is the visual quality noticeably better on the 2013/2014 Disc 2 pressings, that are minus the additional 3D versions of SPOOKS! and PARDON MY BACKFIRE?

In addition, was the sepia tone restored to SPOOKS! on the 2013 and/or 2014 pressing?

The answer/s may affect my decision as to whether or not to gift my 2013 pressing of Volume 7!

CHEERS! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks