What's new

3 songs that have impacted you greatly (1 Viewer)

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
1 - Terrapin - Grateful Dead

2 - Bethoven's 9th Symphony - Mozart

3 - oops, I did it again - Britney Spears

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
damn, no one caught that?
I hope no one thinks bethoven's 9th was written by Mozart, I was hoping someone would get the joke.

as far as oops... well it has greatly impacted me, just in a very negative way.

Seth--L

Screenwriter
Brahms: Piano Concerto No.2 -- Fleisher/Szell/Cleveland (Sony)

Beethoven: Symphony No.3 -- Gardiner/Orchestre Revolutionnaire et Romantique (Archiv)

Bach: Goldberg Variations -- Gould (1955 recording) (Sony)

eh, here's a 4th:

Mahler: Symphony No.9 -- Szell/Cleveland

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Oh, what the hell.....

When I first heard these tracks, its was like their was a hardwired connection to my emotional center. To this day, if I am in the right frame of mind, my eyes well up when I hear these tracks.

Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water

The cliche riff of them all, but prior to hearing this (from Made in Japan) I was listening to the Monkees, Partridge Family, and the Banana Splits. And while a million kids still attack this as their first rock chord, few really play it right (hint: I read an interview with Blackmore who said it is actually finger picked. Try it. Makes a huge difference in the sound of the chords).

Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love

Same explanation as for Smoke. The descending riff was (and for the most part, still is) the coolest sound I ever heard come from an electric guitar.

Black Sabbath - War Pigs

And I thought my previous two tracks were heavy! While not the first, it is the Mother of all anti-war songs (note: do not take my affection for this track as any sort of commentary on current events!). Heard it on 8 Track over head phones when I was about 12. I was floored, and continue to be floored whenever I hear it.

BGL

gregD

Second Unit
1... 1958 -- Les Paul -- How High the Moon
------ "Lookit this neat new invention - the electric guitar - let's see what I can do with it"

2... 1966 (tie) -- Beatles -- Tomorrow Never Knows // Beach Boys -- Good Vibrations
------ "I wonder how far out we can go with this stuff?"

3... 1969 -- Miles Davis -- Bitches Brew
------ "Nice try, boys - now let's take it out to here"

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
James Taylor: Fire and Rain. The day my sister Kathy died of cancer I heard this during the drive home, it took on special meaning for me.

Beethoven: Seventh Symphony, Second movement: Allegretto. When I was very young I saw ZARDOZ on tv and although I didn't like it all that much (I find it a little more interesting today) the opening pipe organ/choral adaptation of the second movement struck me as pretty and the later full orchestral section at the end of the film just grabbed me, it introduced me to classical music at a very young age (about six as far as I remember) and for that I have ZARDOZ and Boorman to thank.
I am not a very religious person however I have to say that this Allegretto stirs my soul, the most beautiful piece of music I have ever heard.

Billy Joel: Vienna. Has meaning for me yesterday and today.

(special rock bonus)Led Zeppelin: Bron-Y-Aur Stomp. You gotta have some fun.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
My 3 are:

1) Nirvana - Smells like Teen Spirit - Before I heard this song, I really didn't pay attention to music. I was more into playing videogames and collecting basketball cards (still doing both 13 years later!). The opening riff still sends chills down my spine

2) Metallica - Enter Sandman - My best friend introduced me to Metallica with this song. Now they are my favorite band ever. I have every CD of theirs. It helps that the video kicks ass too! :)

3) Dream Theater - Change of Seasons - The same best friend who introduced me to Metallica introduced me to this group and song. It clocks in at an astounding 23:07, yet it zips by so damn quickly. I love how it goes from instrumental to lyrics and back to instrumental. My favorite part of the song is the buildup to about 1:23 where the drums kick in. Sweet!

Gary_W

Auditioning
The three songs that have most impacted my life are:
1."Happy Birthday to You"
2. "Auld Lang Syne"
3. "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida":)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Appalachian Spring - Aaron Copland
Probably the most emotionally vivid piece of music I have ever heard. I find this piece of music so overpowering...

Something I Can Never Have - Nine Inch Nails
Almost the opposite of Appalachian Spring... Emotionally dark, enigmatic, and haunting.

Yet Another Movie -Pink Floyd
Musical imagary soars to uncharted heights in this Gilmore guitair wailer. Must be listened to with the volume at 11.

I cant pick just 3.....

On Every Street - Dire Straits
Poetic. Every second is perfection. I dont ever want this song to end.

Don't Give Up - Peter Gabriel (Live Version from Secret World)
This song makes my cry like a baby.

O Fortuna - Carl Orff
Listen and you'll know why. Possibly the most powerful piece of music composed ever.

So Watcha Want? - Beastie Boys
These guys use the microphone like Picasso used clay.

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
Three huh? This will be hard but I will give it a try.

Release - Pearl Jam. Wonderful lyrics that hit close to home for me. Absolutely haunting.

Mean Streets - Van Halen. Van Halen at their peak. It shaped my love for all things rock and roll.

Try Not To Breathe - R.E.M. Beautiful song from my favorite R.E.M. album.

Timber

Stunt Coordinator
Boy, this gets me thinking. Hard to pick just three.

Fragile - Sting.
A beautiful song off a great album. It showed me how wonderful and moving a simple song can be.

Fantasia on a theme by Thomas Tallis - Ralph Vaughan Williams.
I stumbled onto this song during a music course in college. I'd always like "classical" music before then, but this really grabbed me and showed how much music can affect you. It also made me realize that music is a very personal and powerful thing that can't easily be described to others. It set the tone for the style of classical music I have preferred since; romantic symphonic strings.

One - Metallica.
I was in the Army when this came out and along with "Master of Puppets", got thrown head first into real metal. I saw the possibilities of what music could be - beautiful, serene, painful, fierce and deadly, all in ONE song. It amazed me....still does. It has a very symphonic structure which reminds me of classical music, where the entire song evolves into something completely different than when it started.

I could throw in several Honorable mentions:

Tangled Up In Blue - Dylan
Disarm - Smashing Pumpkins. Got me into buying better electronics gear. Damn Billy Corgan to HELL!
Just Like Heaven - The Cure
I Greive(SACD version) - Peter Gabriel
Something About you - Level 42(Ahhhhh High School)
The Joshua Tree(Whole thing) - U2
Voodoo Chile & Little Wing - Jimi

I'll 2nd - On Every Street, The Weight, A Day in the Life, Rhythm of the Heat, Don't Give Up anf Fade to Black.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
In the Cage Medley--Genesis, Three Sides Live

My friend had this on at his house. It introduced me to prog rock and I've been a life long fan ever since.

Ramble On--Led Zepplin.

My favourite bass line in rock music. Not overpowering, just very musical.

Say It (Over and Over Again)--John Coltrane, Ballads
My introduction to the god of the saxaphone. Enough said.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks