What's new

3 RCA Cables = 1 Component Cable? (1 Viewer)

Scott-C

Supporting Actor
I apologize if this question is basic and obvious, but I'm honestly not sure of the answer. Can three "standard" RCA cables be used as a component video cable to connect a DVD player to a RPTV? (both have component jacks).
I was thinking I could just manually label them "Y", "Red", and "Blue".
I'm not sure if true component cables have different properties than RCA cables.
Thanks in advance for the help!
------------------
Scott

Burke Strickland

Second Unit
For the component video connection, you will want three true 75 ohm video cables of equal length. Not all cables with RCA connectors meet this criterion. Audio cables will typically be 50 ohms, and that is not what you want for your component video connection. Three separate video cables of equal length (assuming they are the correct length for your application) :>) would be quite suitable. You could then label them as you propose.
Be wary of the three-cable "A/V" bundles. While the Radio Shack "gold" A/V cables reputedly use three 75 ohm cables (in general, its OK to use a video cable for audio, but not vice versa), their less expensive ones follow the typical industry practice of tying two audio cables (with red and white markings) to one video cable (with yellow markings). Even more expensive brands like Monster bundle one video with two audio cables (but they usually clearly mark the packaging to indicate that).
Presumably the cables in sets labeled "Component" should all be true 75 ohm video cables, but may be priced higher than three independently packaged video cables.
Good luck!
Burke
[Edited last by Burke Strickland on September 10, 2001 at 05:27 PM]

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yup... basically its right, except like above, make sure the RCA cables are all the same length, same brand, and all video cables (compsite)...
I used to have an animation that was like:
(Pic of Optical Plug) Sounds as good as (Pic of 'Digital Coaxial' Cable) Which equals (Pic of Composite video cable) for all the Optical Vs. DigiCoax Vs. 75Ohm RCA Cable posts...
Not really the same, but 75Ohm cables can be used as component or Digital Coaxial cables...
------------------
The So Family Home Theater!
http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html

Users who are viewing this thread