3 Or 4 MP Digital Camera?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Shawn, Mar 25, 2003.

1. Shawn

Shawn Auditioning

I'm getting married this summer and we would like to get a digital camera to use along with good old film cameras. We have wanted to get one for a while but just never got around to it. I've looked over and would like to get a 4 MP camera but is there that much of a difference between a 3 and 4 MP camera?
    I do want a good quality camera but am just wondering if 3 would be enough. I've seen some great pics taken with a 2 MP camera and would think that a 3 MP would be even better. I don't plan on ever getting many pics done larger then 8 X 10 but wouldn't rule out doing some 11 X 14 or larger. I also plan on getting them printed somewhere that has the equipment to print them right. Plus it will save my ink.
    I'd just like to hear your opinions as I'd like to get a good quality camera but will also need to watch the budget as there are all kinds of other expenses coming up for us. Thanks guys.

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

What kind of budget are you looking at?

I bought a Minolta s414 4 mp camera. This camera rocks for the $$. 4x optical zoom as opposed to the 3x that most cameras have.

For online purchase with 14 day return no hassle no restocking fee try this place:
    http://www.buydigitaldirect.com/view...df1b4a57b94a5f

$349 with free fedex shipping.

3. Shawn

Shawn Auditioning

Thanks for the reply. Looks like a nice cam but I live in Canada so I don't think the offer is good for me. I could probably spend $300-$350 US but as always, if I don't really need the extra power and can save a few bucks it would be nice too. Then again, I don't want to get something and regret it after either.

4. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

I've been drooling over the canon powershot s45 and the new s50, someday...

5. Eric_E

Eric_E Supporting Actor

Shawn: I think a 3 MP camera would be more than enough for what you want to do with it. Just as you experienced, I've seen some pictures taken with a 2 MP digicam that looked excellent, and I think 3 MP is more than enough for most users. 4 MP and higher strike me as being for professional or "prosumer" users.

I personally own a 3.1 MP Nikon Coolpix 880 that I bought two years ago before a trip to Japan, and I have never been disappointed with the image quality. I have made 8 x 10 prints with a regular, run-of-the-mill HP Deskjet printer with virtually no visible grain, and for viewing the images on the computer, everything looks great. So, if you're on a budget, I really don't think the difference between 3 and 4 MP cameras will be justified for you. Just my two cents.

P.S. An excellent site for researching the various cameras out there is dpreview.com

6. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

If $350 is your budget, I would get a nice 3mp model. You'll eat up storage space pretty quickly, but you can get away with 11 x 14 prints with a 3mp camera.
    If you're mostly concerned with 8 x 10, then that's definitely the way to go.

7. Tom Wilson

Tom Wilson Auditioning

I have a 3.3mp Sony and have blown up prints to 18" wide and they still look good.

8. CarlDJr

CarlDJr Stunt Coordinator

9. Drew Dockery

Drew Dockery Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone here have experience with the Minolta Xi (soon to be Xt) and/or the Canon S400? I have my choice narrowed to these two and can't seem to make up my mind.

10. Phil Kim

Phil Kim Stunt Coordinator