What's new

3 Ninjas Aspect Ratio Mystery (1 Viewer)

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
I know most people could care less for 3 Ninjas and it's DVD release tomarrow (June 3) but this is really odd. Dave Lambert's Weekly Roundup AND DVD Empire claim that this DVD is fullscreen but the back cover does not. I'm not calling them out, I believe them and I think this may be a misprint on Disney's part but if anyone knows the real answer, post here. Here's the back cover.

I hope this isn't a misprint because I'll pick it up tomarrow but if I pick up a fullscreen DVD unknowingly...refer to the text below the Hulk picture.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Enough sources convinced me it was fullscreen that this is what I put in the Roundup. It's not a perfect science, since I dont' have the disc myself. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. I put way too much time into the Roundup already to try to track down every little detail! :eek:

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
I believe you Dave, I really think it's a misprint on Disney's part. I'm going to wait for what Chris says if he picks it up.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
it's just rented out at the moment (Overnight)...so will pop it in when it comes back in today.

I've never seen a Disney misprint as yet.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
And I've heard some are labeled Foolscreen but are really widescreen, so it makes sense we get one labeled widescreen turn out to be Foolscreen. Between this and the self-destructing DVDs, I'd say a re-staffing is seriously in order over there!

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
I'm picking up Animatrix and Super Mario Bros. but I'm going to hold off on this one until it's all cleared up.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Anyone thinking of buying it could easily do so if it's marked widescreen on the box. Then, if it's not widescreen, just return it on your next DVD trip.

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
Well what do you know? I decided to take a gamble on it and it IS widescreen;) . I'm glad this wasn't a misprint-even if it's not anamorphic it's worth 8 bucks at Best Buy.

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Travis. I know what I'll be picking up when I get off work tomorrow. Too bad about the non-anamorphic, but OAR is OAR.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
I've been to Best Buy, Borders, Circuit City, Tower Records, and Wal*Mart and still haven't found any copies of 3 Ninjas or Super Mario Brothers. :frowning:

Joel C

Screenwriter
Me neither. I spent 15 minutes at BB tonight looking, checking sci-fi, kids, and action. Oh well, it's only $6 at DDD.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
it is 1.85 non-anamorphic.

back to watching Biker Boyz...

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Glad to know I was wrong. OAR is more important than me being right! :)

Will someone go mention that in the Roundup, if it hasn't been posted yet? I might not have much time to post that there when I get to looking at that thread.

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
I'll go and post it there. I can't believe it's OAR either since they usually just port their laserdiscs for these releases, 3 Ninjas LD was fullscreen.

I found both Super Mario Bros. (still a great movie) and 3 Ninjas at Best Buy in the Special Value section (AKA $7.99 or less section).

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
So, if it's not a laserdisc port, what's the excuse for it not being anamorphic? Did they just take the open-matte LD transfer and mask off the top and bottom or something?

I don't get why they still do non-anamorphic DVDs, even beyond direct ports of letterboxed laserdiscs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks