1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

3 New Firefly episodes coming?....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by todd s, Jan 28, 2003.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

The following was taken from a buffy forum from Tim Minnear, who is an associate of Joss Whedon.

Tim Minear - Jan 19, 2003 7:42:31 pm EST #5420 of 6002

Okay. I'm gonna scram. Victor, really enjoyed your article, by the way. Have you published yet?

Also wanted to let everyone here know that Firefly is not dead. Not yet. Joss and us'ns are working on a new angle, the details of which I cannot get into just yet. Also, I'm finishing editing my last episode. I think it's gonna be good. And "Trash" is lots of fun and we're finishing "Heart Of Gold." So some day, at the very least, ya'll get for certain three more hours of us.

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Yes, the alternate vision he's talking about is Firefly TV movies or miniseries

Tim Minear is the Pope of Fireflydom, when he speaks of things like this it's direct from the pulpit. And yes, he may even know better than Joss

I also agree with Jason that "3 never before seen episodes!" is a damn good seller for the DVD, unfortunately I think the show may be too expensive to justify that (rougly 5-6 million in additional sales would be required.

4. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

5. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Sorry guys, I did read about his credentials. But, I was running late and I wanted to post the info. Another thing I just saw at www.fireflyfans.net that quoted Yahoo:

According to an AP article that appeared on Yahoo.com, Fox Television Entertainment Chairman Sandy Grushow implied that Firefly's failure to attract an audience after the series' premiere can be attributed to FOX's misjudgment in taking the new series off the air for a few weeks to air baseball and then bringing it back during November sweeps where it struggled in the ratings.

"This network is in a state of transition. It's rebuilding," Grushow said. "To put new shows on for two weeks and then take them off for four weeks for baseball is not a particularly effective launch strategy."

With this admission, FOX is planning to launch their next slate of new series during the Summer instead of Fall, capitalizing off the lesson learned from the successes of FOX's reality series like 'American Idol' that was launched during mid-season and subsequently struck gold for the network.

With Firefly having 3 remaining episodes in the queue, perhaps FOX might consider airing them during Summer in conjunction with premieres of their other new shows--giving Firefly a second chance. And if ratings for the three are significantly better, perhaps Firefly's "hiatus" is really just that, an hiatus.

ps-Is it me or does the guy who plays the doctor look liker Joachim Phoenix?

6. Jeff Kleist

7. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

8. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Uh, no, Sean Maher doesn't look much like Joachim Phoenix, IMHO.

I think Fox might burn these last 3 episodes during March/April.

9. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

There's nothing to stop Fox from showing Firefly in the Friday 8 p.m. slot if they need a filler for Fastlane as far as stretching out the episodes until May sweeps.

11. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Which they likely won't, because it did miss all those baseball weeks and its 22-episode order will probably stretch longer. In addition, Fastlane's a show that probably doesn't suffer much from rerunning (no complex backstory to go back and forth with), and it probably makes sense to keep the show visible between sweeps periods.

12. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

You do realize this is Fox we're talking about, right? [​IMG]

13. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Yep. Still, I can't recall Fox ever doing something that's got no point to it, like airing episodes of a cancelled show during the season. They've done hopelessly optimistic things (which is why we love them [​IMG]), but seldom stuff that couldn't really help them much for the future.

14. Robert Ringwald

Robert Ringwald Cinematographer

While I love Firefly, I've passed the final phase of its death. I'm aware that it's done, and probably gone forever.

I am, however hoping that Joss can get a 2 or 3 hours SERIES FINALE produced to fully end the series, but I doubt that would happen.

At least FOX is likely to put out a FIREFLY dvd set with all 15 episodes...

15. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Keep in mind Fox never aired the final episode of the Tick. They also have a history of coancelling and un-cancellign things. (The PJs, Family Guy, Futurama)

16. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

17. Robert Ringwald

Jason, that's a very good way to look at it. It'd have been corny to have a "finale" episode in which they take down the Alliance (lol, Alias did this, but the episode wasn't exactly corny) and fly off.

This way is better. We didn't start the series with the whole group getting together, and we'll end it with them the way they were. One brief look into their lives at one point. Kind of like My So Called Life

18. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

19. Jeff Kleist

Yes, the series should absolutely end with them warping off somewhere.

I really hope that SciFi or hey, even Fox like the apology they did for killing Alien Nation will do a once a year Firefly TV movie, just to see how it goes.

20. Robert Ringwald

Even SERENITY was simply about Book, River, and Simon on the ship. We didn't see where the others came from until episode 5 "Out of Gas"

I guess I'd like some kind of 'wrap-up' with the River story at least. That's all I'd want. Perhaps the mission is that they find out there's a way to erase River's file or something from the Alliance, and they would be "free" and just get to keep flying without the blue hands on their back.