What's new

3 New Criterions Announced (More Kurosawa!) (1 Viewer)

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
Just checked out Criterion's official website - they have 3 new releases for July - including the eagerly anticipated Red Beard directed by Akira Kurosawa. Also on the slate are two films from Rene Clair - A Nous la Liberte and Under the Roofs of Paris.

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm, Red Beard looks to have the famous Criterion restoration and includes a commentary - sounds pretty interesting. Looks like Dodes 'ka-den will be released later in the year.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
I wish Criterion would spread it around a little.

Seems like the majority of the collection is made up of about 15 directors.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
speaking of Kurosawa, I picked up some region free Hong Kong imports that were part of some 17 disc set I believe.

They have English subs and the picture looks okay, just one problem. The subs are in EngRish at best, most of the time I can only barely make out what the intended dialog is.

Also, I think the transfer came straight from the LD transfer (I believe the company was just releasing to DVD what it had already put out on LD before).

So I have Ikuru and Throne of Blood, but it's far from optimal. I count them as satisfactory stop-gaps for now, but that's about it. I can't really recommend them if you come across them.

But how about that Rashomon Criterion, that freakin kicks ass. An excellent version and solid extras.

Roderick Gauci

Stunt Coordinator
I was very surprised to read this piece of news today regarding the release of these 2 Rene` Clair classics on DVD. Criterion have even managed to surpass their previous Clair title, LE MILLION (one of the very first DVDs I bought), by including two famous shorts - PARIS QUI DORT and ENTR’ ACTE – on the two upcoming discs. I have never watched any of the four films but A` NOUS LA LIBERTE` usually vies with LE MILLION for the title of Clair’s best film. I would now like see Criterion (or perhaps Kino On Video or Image Entertainment) get their hands on other important Clair films like AN ITALIAN STRAW HAT (1927), THE GHOST GOES WEST (1935), I MARRIED A WITCH (1942), IT HAPPENED TOMORROW (1944), LA BEAUTE` DU DIABLE (1949) and LES BELLES DE NUIT (1952). In fact, Image has already put out their DVD edition of Clair’s finest American movie, AND THEN THERE WERE NONE (1945), and IT HAPPENED TOMORROW was released on video by Kino – so, I guess, there is some ray of hope for these titles.

So Akira Kurosawa’s RED BEARD has finally been confirmed - and I am certainly glad it will be afforded a Special Edition release by Criterion, considering it is not among his most famous works. It is a pity that most of the other Kurosawas in the Collection were not treated so respectfully (THE HIDDEN FORTRESS, YOJIMBO, SANJURO and HIGH AND LOW), and perhaps in time some of these may be revisited, as in the case of Jean Cocteau’s BEAUTY AND THE BEAST.

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
This is some of the best news I've had all day! Now I can remove the Mei-Ah version from my "to buy" list. I'll be preordering this one for sure.

Regarding the Mei-Ah discs, while they may not be the best, they are the only source for some of his titles on DVD right now. I'm fairly sick at the moment, so I think I may use tomorrow to recuperate and watch at least one of the four I've been meaning to get to for a while now.

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Whatever happened to Trainspotting and theMonterey Pop box set?
Trainspotting was cancelled. The rumor I heard was that Criterion announced it too soon and Miramax yanked the rights after that. Whatever the case I very much doubt we'll be seeing any more Buena Vista titles from Criterion, especially since the BV Royal Tenenbaums looks to be a special edition. Monterey Pop was supposed to be out in the fall, I think. It's a three-disc set, give them some time ;)

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator
But how about that Rashomon Criterion, that freakin kicks ass.
:laugh:
I love the passion in this forum! I couldn't agree more, and I feel Criterion is on a roll right now - Notorious,Rebecca,Wild Strawberries, 8 1/2, Rashomon - these are landmark films my friends, and Criterion has been doing an awesome job on making these films look great. I think their releases have been somewhat eclectic - they have released classics, obscure titles, great documentaries, and modern fare as well i.e. the upcoming Traffic disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks