3+ hours on DVD with Toshiba RD-XS32?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by ScottBowler, Nov 10, 2004.

1. ScottBowler

ScottBowler Auditioning

Hi,

I have each game of the world series recorded at a 4.6 mb/second rate (sp) on my Toshiba RD-XS32 recorder. With the commercials edited they are anywhere from 2:45:00 to 4:00:00 long. If I reduce the rate down to 3.2mb/second I can fit 171 minutes on a DVD and 240 minutes on a DVD at 2.2 mb/second. The only problem is I can't make a finalized DVD with anything lower than 4mb/second. Is my only option to split it over 2 discs? Not really my first choice of what to do, I'd like to fit a game on one disc.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Scott

2. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

I don't see the problem. Just do a rate conversion dub and leave them unfinalized. If they are intended for others I can see the problem with finalization.

I have a 6 hour 28 min. DVD-R of a Redskin game including hours of pre-game + post-game. I did a rate conversion dub and it went fine. Of course with this length the quality is very low...but it all fit. I haven't tried to finalize it yet but the Disc Info says Video create is impossible, Finalize Not yet. I'll try it and see.

3. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

I don't remember ever having any problem finalizing any DVD, even those I recorded at a lower bitrate for a longer recording. For example, I've frequently used the 3.0 Mbps to record 3-hour movies on TCM, and I've even used 2.4 and 2.2 on occasion for even longer films. Even when I've done a rate conversion because I estimated wrong, I've still had no problem doing the finalization.

When I've done the rate conversation, I generally copy it to the hard drive first (same disc), then copy it to DVD using the edit menu Create DVD, which also finalizes the DVD-R.

In short, I've never been unable to finalize simply becauee of using a slower speed, and I don't remember anything in the manual about it either. You might want to try the DVD-Create on the Edit menu and see if that succeeds in doing the finalization

Good luck!
    Steve K.

4. ScottBowler

ScottBowler Auditioning

Thanks for the responses. I'll try it again, but I swear it said the rate wasn't compatible. I did the rate conversion to the same disc and then reset all my chapter markers only to have it not allow me to make the disc. At least I now know others have had success with longer videos.

And yes, I did promise some others copies so I would have to finalize those copies.

Thanks,
    Scott

5. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Scott- By saying the rate wasn't compatible, did they mean the DVD disc itself? The reason I'm asking is I once tried to use a 4x DVD-RW but was not even able to format it or record anything to it, much less finalize it. I can use 4x DVD-R but only (apparently) up to 2x DVD-RW. Were you perhaps trying to use an 8x DVD-R or a >2x RW? This may or may not cause a problem, as I haven't been adventurous enough to try it after being unable to use the 4x RW.

Best of luck, and if necessary, you can always use the faster bit rate and wind up with two discs rather than one. You can probably find a convenient "fade to black" point somewhere around the midpoint. I've done this on several occasions if I want to record a longer film but still have better picture quality.

Steve K.

6. ScottBowler

ScottBowler Auditioning

Ok, I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. In the Setup Menu I need to change the DVD Compatibility to "On" and choose the "Main" audio channel so that the Rate Conversion could then be made into a DVD Video. Now I'm well on my way to getting the games transferred to DVD.

Thanks for letting me know I COULD do what I wanted, I just needed to be a little more persistent.

-Scott