What's new

3 Fox Classics on April (1 Viewer)

Charles H

Screenwriter
Does anyone know which running time Fox will be using on ANNA KARENINA? Also SAILOR OF THE KING has two different endings (Which will be used?)

Jim Bur

Stunt Coordinator

Fox released 6 westerns in the late spring each of the past two years. If, as hoped, they follow the same approach this year the 6 westerns that I recommend that they release would be:

Western Union (1941)(with Randolph Scott/directed by Fritz Lang)
Broken Arrow (1950)(with James Stewart/directed by Delmer Daves)
The Gunfigher (1950) (with Gregory Peck/directed by Henry King)
Rawhide (1951) (with Tyrone Power/directed by Henry Hathaway)
Garden of Evil (1954) (with Gary Cooper/directed by Henry Hathaway)
From Hell to Texas (1958) (with Don Murray&Chill Wills/directed by Hathaway)

Each of these westerns is a classic. If they chose these as the releases, they couldn't possibly do any better in my opinion, as these represent the 6 best Fox westerns that have not been released to date.

c Jim Bur

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Jim, those are exactly the titles I was hoping to be release. I would add to the list Belle Star (with Randolph Scott, Gene Tierney and Dana Andrews) and A Ticket to Tomahawk.
But I'm sure your list will not be entirely released (at least not this June), since Two Flags West (another excellent western, whose trailler was part of last years promotion) may be coming then.

DanMel

Second Unit
I'm hoping Garden of Evil and Broken Arrow are two they release this year. I have Garden of Evil in PAL Region 2 format but can only watch it on my computer. It is a pretty good transfer but not sure why Fox and MGM release titles in Region 2 but not Region 1. MGM released Man of the West in Region 2 Pal that I have and it is a fantastic transfer but again I can only watch it on my computer. It is a strange thing since Gary Cooper is far more popular in the states than he is in Region 2 areas. I visit some of their forums and a great many non US people make fun of Cooper and his acting, which I consider superior in westerns to all other actors including John Wayne or Jimmy Stewart. My top three westerns that I am awaiting release are from three different studios:

1) Garden of Evil Fox
2) Man of the West MGM
3) The Hanging Tree Warner Brothers

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The cover art for all three titles are up over at DVD Times and I must say the cover art for Anna Karenina is so drop dead gorgeous I could hang it on a wall!

Charles H

Screenwriter
The cover art for all the Fox Literary Classics are all terrific, but I was horrified when DVD empire showed a cover for one of the pd versions of ANNA KARENINA. Does anyone know what the running time of ANNA will be? 111 minutes? 123? 134?

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I decided to buy Le Miserables and when I opened the dvd case inside was the insert for Anna Karenina, plus, as an added bonus two of the included include five post cards ( well, lobby cards or what have you ) were duplicates. I guess I better hurry and get the Anna Karenina dvd, perhaps the insert will be Les Miserables! There is a Featurette with the 1952 version entitled "The Fugitive And The Pursuer: Vidocq." First I have to find the time to watch them!

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Exactly. I own one since October 1999.

I'm ordering the other two.

Cees

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just received Les Miserables but the leaflet insert is for Anna Karenina. If anyone has obtained the DVD of Anna Karenina and has found it contains a Les Miserables insert, would they care to swop!

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
It's interesting that so many versions of Anna Karenina have come out on DVD- except the version I want most of all: the 1927 silent classic Love starring Greta Garbo and John Gilbert. Come on, Warner Bros.- put this out in a second Garbo Silents set!!

As to the 1944 Jane Eyre - what's with that ridiculous blackface makeup on Orson Welles? I mean, his character was supposed to have lived briefly in the West Indies, but that's no reason for an overdone perpetual tan! After seeing this film on TV, I now know how it would've looked if George Hamilton had played Mr. Rochester.......

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks