What's new

3 Fox Classics on April (1 Viewer)

JamesPMurphy

Auditioning

Just ordered all three from DDD. "Lay Miz" is listed as a 2-discer at the same price as the other two single discs. IMDb lists the playing time as 1:48. Has a press release been posted anywhere that might explain why this one might rate a second disc? Or is it another DDD data entry error?

James LM

Grip
When I saw this thread a couple of days ago and saw someone hoping for a commentary with Joan Fontaine, I decided how easily I could find some people who worked on Anna Karenina who worked on the film long enough to useful to an audio commentary. I already knew where Kieron Moore was but since then I have found the editor and a camera assistant. I believe Guy Hamilton was an assistant director on this film too. He lives in Spain. I am sure I could find one of the other assistant directors if I needed to.

Does any one have a contact for Fox so I can offer my services to them to produce an audio commentary for the film?

I see Single-Handed (Sailor of the King) is being released. A commentary with cinematographer Gil Taylor would be nice. I bet he would be up for it if he was rewarded handsomely for it. I have been in contact with at least one of his camera crew on the film who would be up for it, and I have the address for an assistant editor on the film. I could produce the whole thing for about £3,000. Now I just need to talk to the people at Fox. does anyone know someone who works in Fox Classics department?

I see Man in the Middle in one of the lists too. Guy Hamilton again. A Guy Hamilton - Keith Waterhouse commentary would be nice. Maybe being US based they have done something with actress France Nuyen and producer Walter Seltzer.

I'm probably too late, they have probably been authored.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
James LM, don't forget that Sally Ann Howes (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang) who plays Kitty in Anna Karenina is also still alive.

As for Anna Karenina "not" being in the public domain, tell that to Madacy.

James LM

Grip
Sally Ann Howes and Michael Gough both live in the US which would make it easier for Fox themselves to interview, if they were to go down that line.

Charles H

Screenwriter
It would be great if LES MISERABLES (if it is 2 disc) included the 1952 Lewis Milestone version, which is pretty good but lacks the star power. Fos shows the 111 minute version of ANNA KARENIA. but the imdb lists 138 as the original British running time. Does anyone know which will be released? Carlton has been showing a longer version than the US one.

Charles H

Screenwriter
BROWN ON RESOLUTION (1935) with John Mills was also adapted from the C.S, Forrester book that generated SAILOR OF THE KING. I see that it was once available on VHS over here. imdb.com lists Gaumont British as the source. Would Fox have US control of the title?

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Keep in mind that Fox typically does not pay for commentaries so the participants shouldn't expect to be paid. As you said, the discs are probably already produced.

James LM

Grip
I know they are not in the habit of paying partcipants but are in the habit of paying other costs. I would just have to make sure the total cost is still attractive.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

True, but also realize that money spent on these bonus features drives up the retail price. Fox has already been heavily criticized in this forum for the price of some of their recent box sets, many of which sold poorly. They're probably a bit skittish on spending extra money at this point.

Another forum (monsterkid.com) also reported that there's been a shake up in the home video division at Fox. No details were given so I don't know what that means. This alleged shake-up was given as the reason the Fox Noir line went by the wayside.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
WE have the usual bunch of Fox war films in April.
I;m assuming we will get the usual bunch of Fox Westerns in May.
I hope that this May we get what the rest of the world got two years ago - a release if Garden of evil (hopefully with the orignal 4.0 track).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It would also be nice that they finally release "The Gunfighter" which in my opinion is one of the finest westerns ever made.

Crawdaddy

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Another vote for both Garden of Evil & Gunfighter. Broken Arrow would be another Fox Western I love to see get released.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure how many more war films Fox has left to release but I sure hope In Love And War (1958) will be in the next batch which I assume will be 2007.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
this thread already mentions this years april war releases and IN LOVE AND WAR is not among them.
this may be a good thing.
Fox has had a strangevideo transfer history with this film.
It first ran on cinemas in the 80s pan and scan and mono. Years later it shows up but with its original stereo track. Finally it appears around four years ago on fox movie channel in letterbox but back to mono. Yet again, Fox has lost the stereo track !!!!
the stereo track is important as this film has one of the finest scores by Hugo Friedhofer.

Charles H

Screenwriter
According to Movies Unlimited, the 4/24 release of LES MISERABLES will contain both the 1935 and 1952 versions of LES MISERABLES from Fox. ANNA KARENINA will contain the 1915 silent version but the Leigh film is listed as 111 minutes...not 123 (Maltin) or the original 134 version. JANE EYRE will contain featurette and storyboards.

Carmine D.

Auditioning
Real Name
Carmine
Specs from DVD Times:

Fox Home Entertainment have announced the Region 1 DVD release of three titles as part of a Literary Classics promotion. Arriving on 24th April 2007 priced at $19.98 SRP each are…

Les Miserables (2-Disc)

Both the 1935 and 1952 versions of the film are included on this two-disc set presented in 1.33:1 Full Frame with English, French and Spanish Mono audio and optional French and Spanish subtitles. Extras include “The Fugitive/Pursuer: Eugene Vidocq”, a Restoration Comparison and Trailer.

Anna Karenina (1948) - The 1948 version starring Vivien Leigh and Ralph Richardson is accompanied by the 1915 silent movie version.

Features include:
1.33:1 Full Frame
English Stereo and Spanish Mono
French and Spanish subtitles
Anna Karenina - The 1915 Version
"Silent Movie"
Anna and Leo
Restoration Comparison
Trailer

Jane Eyre (1944) - Jane Eyre secures a job as governess to the child (Margaret O'Brien) of the troubled Edward Rochester, sire of Thornfield, a mysterious English manor. When she hears strange cries and noises from a distant wing, her inquiries are rebuffed. As time goes on, Jane and her master fall in love and decide to marry. But their halted when a visitor suddenly reveals the shocking secret that Rochester has kept for years.

Features include:
1.33:1 Full Frame
English Stereo
English, French and Spanish Mono
French and Spanish subtitles
Orson Welles's Jayne Eyre
Story Boards
Production Gallery
Restoration Comparison
Trailer

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks