What's new

3 Doors Down DVD-audio or SACD? (1 Viewer)

BrianEK

Stunt Coordinator
The new 3 Doors Down album, Away From The Sun, came out recently in 5.1 SACD. But I just saw that they also just released a DVD-Audio version this past tuesday (oct. 21). I plan on buying the Pioneer dv-563a that supports dvd-a and sacd so i can get either one. Is one version any better than the other sound quality wise? If there's no difference i'm guessing i'll pick up the DVD-a version because I think it has some video clips or something.

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
I would recommend the DVD-A, the SACD is a crest cracker.
Not to mention the original master was done in 24/96 PCM which is presented on the DVD-A.

The SACD compromises the sound with an extra conversion to DSD. Still, if you don't have the benefit of owning a DVD-A player, it is better than nothing.

J

Michael_T

Second Unit
Not to mention the original master was done in 24/96 PCM which is presented on the DVD-A.

The SACD compromises the sound with an extra conversion to DSD. Still, if you don't have the benefit of owning a DVD-A player, it is better than nothing.
I have both the DVD-A and the SACD, and I did an A/B comparison (using my XA777ES for the SACD, and my Denon 3800 for the DVD-A), and to my ears the SACD had a much fuller and smoother sound. The cymbals on the SACD sounded more like real cymbals than what I heard on the DVD-A.

I can't fully explain why I heard what I heard, because as you state the recording is a Pro-Tools PCM digital recording, yet on my system I would have to say the SACD was much better than the DVD-A.

The only issue I have with the SACD, is that I had to go through 5 copies (as they were major Crest crackers) before I got one that seems to be part of a "new" pressing... and it has yet to crack (and I have had it for a few months now).

Jon_Welker

Second Unit
I believe the SACD version has a CD layer as well, which is a bonus as you can listen to the disc in your car as well.

Chris_Eff

Stunt Coordinator
The way the thread is taking shape their does not seem to be a sound difference between the two besides conversion theories. I have the SACD and I love it but the decision comes down to which is more important:

DVD-A The extra content that is provided. Not sure if it has stereo option if you prefer that to MC. Can play DD version of MC wherever a DVD and a theater setup are present.

SACD MC and stereo hi-rez versions plus CD layer to play in your car or elsewhere. Hi-rez only available with SACD player.

Seems like a nice problem to have with a universal player.

Michael_T

Second Unit
What do you guys mean by the term "crest cracking"
The earliest pressings of SACDs by Crest National, the most visible being "Dark Side Of The Moon", all started to develop cracks in the plastic around the spindle hole of the disc. Some were so bad that pieces of the plastic would flake off. It was a clear defect, and people, myself included, were afraid to place these discs in their SACD players - for fear that plastic would come off in the machine and cause damage.

I probably had/have over 10 - 15 Crest pressed titles that I either had to return (because the cracking got so bad) or just live with (since the discs only have maybe one or two minor hairline cracks). 3 Doors Down, at least the earlier SACD pressing, was very problematic, as I had to go through 5 copies before I got one that didn't crack.

It appears that Crest has gotten their act together and made some changes so that their newer pressed SACDs may be just be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks