What's new

3 disc SE of Black Hawk Down or Superbit? (1 Viewer)

Steven Larson

Stunt Coordinator
This week, Circuit City has the 3 disc Special Edition of Black Hawk Down on sale for $16.99, but unfortunately it does not have the DTS soundtrack. It does however come with a ton of extras. Would I be better off getting the Superbit version (with the DTS soundtrack, which appears to be awesome), or this 3 disc set? Thanks!

Steve

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I own the superbit, and the SE. The improvement offered by the suprbit, particularly in the sound, was worth the purchase. Very noticable on my system. The extras on the SE are stellar, and are also worth owning. The presentation of the film on the SE is fantasic. The superbit does slightly best in the image quality, and noticable in the sound quality.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
At that price -- if your system will show the improvement in the SuperBit, then get both. If you have even the slightest interest in great special features, then you can't pass up the 3-disc set at that price. It's one of the best single-movie sets (in terms of interesting extra features) ever released.

Note also that the picture and sound on the set are great -- it's not like you're getting crap if you don't spring for the SuperBit.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
The 3-Disc for $16.99 would be a very worthwhile pruchase just for the special features alone. Even if you feel that you must have the Superbit, I would not miss out on the 3-Disc.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal

Jim-M

Second Unit
I have the R3 Superbit Deluxe version of BHD from koreandvds.com and I can confirm all the discs play fine in an R1 player. I've read they will play in R1, R3, and R4 players.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Is it only one single commentary track you're losing with the R3 import SB and is it a worthwhile and informative/insightful recording?

I've been going back and forth between the 3-disc Special Ed. and Superbit Deluxe for a while now and am not sure which way to turn.

Is the DTS track on the Korean disc that much of an improvement over the DD 5.1 or is it a really slight and minor variation?

Would you guys opt for the commentary or improved audio, if it's of any significance?

Thanks.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
There are three commentary tracks. One is by Ridley Scott and Jerry Bruckheimer, one is by Mark Bowden (author of the original newspaper articles and book) and the screenwriter, and the third is by some of the real soldiers who fought in the actual battle depicted in the film. Really interesting stuff.

Greg Black

Second Unit
I will echo the above statements and suggest that you get both editions as well. The supplementary material on the 3-disc set is some of the most comprehensive stuff I've seen. Also the most interesting DVD supplements to me, primarily because of the subject matter. The DTS sound on the Superbit is very nice.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
The DTS track on BDH superbits is among the best that is out there right now. It is a huge improvement over what was already a very solid DD track.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Just want to echo/reprise Aaron's question: can someone with experience speak to the issue of this R3 compatibility with R1 players please? Is this specific/exclusive to Sony Pictures Home Entertainment releases? Just SuperBits?

Or is it a fluke?

-p

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Jeff, thanks for the reference to your post #8, which I read before posting.

It isn't really responsive to my question, which has to do with whether all SPHE R3s are R1 compatible without having an all region player. If you've only played R3 SuperBits, that doesn't prove anything WRT non-SB titles.

Although I'm an R3 novice, this is the first word I've seen on the Forum of R3s playing on R1 players that are not specifically region free on a supposed across the board basis.

Again, do we only have anecdotal/incidental/title-by-title evidence of this or, although unlikely, has there been some kind of SPHE announcement?

-p

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
I thought I was clear. R3 Superbits only will play in any reg 1 player. No need for a multi region player. The rest of region 3 discs will need a region free player to play them. There is no annoucement that I know of. I would think it would go against most companies (Sony)strategies for consumers to know that product they are selling is effectively region 0.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
Just to echo the comments about the extras on the SE.

Not only do you get a making of doc that longer than the movie itself but you get a History Channel special and a PBS Frontline special on the battle itself.

Even if you hated the movie, the SE would be worth the price. :D

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Just wanted to let people know that although the Circuit City deal is probably over, I was in Costco yesterday, and they had the 3-disc set for $18.99. Looks like this will be their regular price going forward (when it's in stock).

They also had the collector's sets of The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, and Monty Python & The Holy Grail for the same price.

richardWI

Second Unit
I normally don't double dip, but I got the SB after the SE and didn't regret it. The DTS is a very noticable upgrade, you'll never want to go back to the DD version. The extras on the SE are staggeringly good and thorough. I never get tired of Riddleygram/final shot comparisons.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I cant speak for ALL R3 Superbits, but I heard most of them play in R1, 3, and 4 players. I personally own the R3 Superbit Gattaca and Das Boot and they both play fine in my R1 Sony.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks